Speaker Harvest- 10 inch Jensen Alnico 5 - PM speaker--questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Krackle, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

HI folks..Hope y'all are good through this crazy world..

I pulled some speakers from an old Conn Organ..50's i believe..

The two speakers in it look pretty nice..info:

Jensen Alnico 5
    PM speaker
    Concert Series

code-220537

7a 41 P10Q C5824

These are in excellent condition..(the organ was my Aunt's..in her basement since forever (im 60)..unplayed..my cousin took it through two moves and then gave it up to me..i was hesitant but took it in)

Anyhow..I'd like to know more about the speakers...

Wattage-at birth? ( i know to not push an old old speaker)
    Ohms?

Im assuming ok for guitar? plan on building a nice 2x10 cabinet for them

basically..what are these things?

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Silver frame concert series? with the bell cover? I had a few 12's. They seemed very early breakup. But were beauties to behold! P10Q are cool speakers. Probably 20-25 watts. They may be worth $100 apiece. I have two 1959 P15Q's I'm selling.
    I have this but it's not much help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  3. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

thanks Schmee..these are not silver framed..structure is a blueish gray color
    no bell..

i was trying to navigate posting some pictures but i couldn't figure it out

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Krackle, you can post direct from your phone, pad, computer...whatever. Hit the ‘upload a file’ prompt on the lower right below the reply box....
    Those P12Qs are from the 37th week of 1955 and were maybe 15 watt speakers when new....great speakers imho. The blue color is cool since that is what Fender used rather than silver....or the olive drab/brown/grayish frames I have seen in certain movie projector amps. Here is one of those....a 16 ohm P12P Jensen!! The P has slightly higher capability than the Q. So...you can see by the chart that maybe the P12Q was 12-14watts and the P12P might have been 14-16 watts???
    3C13547A-4E82-48D8-BA7B-A24FA023DF13.jpeg

At any rate, take care with whatever you use them for. If you push an amp, I would say a single is good for no more than a tweed Deluxe type of amp at the most. Enjoy....

King Fan likes this.
  5. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

jeez...too easy..Thanks Wally

this is one of em..

10 inch btw..

Attached Files:

Cali Dude, rjtwangs and Wally like this.
  6. Wally

Nice.....are they both smooth or is one ribbed?

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Not even for a minute saying this is a reasonable price, but they may be very nice speakers... FWIW the 220537 says yours is 1955. They might be awesome in a 2x10, which would ease the power handling. Have you measured the resistance across the terminals?

upload_2020-8-10_14-21-13.jpeg

8. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Wally...both smooth cones..

Wow..Crazy price, King- tempting to hang them out there for sale but im gonna try to enjoy some time with them

I'd like to do a 2x10..I just rig-wired them to my Princeton and they sound fantastic..speakers just sitting on my shop table..but able to know they have vibe.

Im pretty sure these are 8ohm speakers so im sorta stuck with a resistance mismatch on my Deluxe and Princeton..which bums me out a bit..

the P10Q is, of course, not listed on the Jensen Reference sheet that Schmee posted further up..
    no way, right now of knowing if this speaker was produced in a 4ohm..

Maybe someone has more info..can't seem to nail it reliably in google searches..

9. schmee

That's good. many amp guys want the Blue color.
    There are a lot of guys fishing for big bucks out there. It's hard to figure if those numbers are possible nor not. Usually the PxxQ's go for $100-125 to get them sold. But blue frames with the label .. who knows.
    These old ones are fragile, the voice coil formers are paper, the spiders are brittle. So they are usually sold as is because once someone cranks things even a little bit they can buzz.
    I had two P12Q's about 2 years ago. One buzzed bad at the Bb-B area. The other was nice.

The other thing is there are different cones in the same model designation. Some are smooth cones, some with a curve to the cone, some are ribbed cone, some straight cone shape.
    here's a couple standard Concert Series I had in 12"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  10. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Crazy, and I suspect delusional. I did *not* post that to make you consider selling. As @schmee says, there are lots of 'dream on' prices on eBay. Plus figure it this way -- you sell 'em, one buzzes, the guy wants you to pay shipping *both* ways to return 'em, he goes ape trying to poison your seller rating -- no, much better to play 'em.

11. schmee

Here's one of the P15Q's I have up for sale. Surprisingly these both test good fairly loud:
    [​IMG]

Wally likes this.
  12. Wally

Krackle, imho, the value of these blue/green Jensen Alnicos is tied to the valuable Fender
    Tweed amps 8n which they could have been found. Also, that value to a certain individual is tied t9 the date codes....that is, can one find that person who needs say 2 x P10Qs with date codes to which these 37th week of 1955 would ‘match’ and thereby make the amp complete...and therefore more valuable than if the amp did not having matching date codes. Say that a person had a a Fender 5E9A Tremolux with date codes from the last part of 1955 that did not have the original speaker. One of your speakers would be very attractive to such a person, ime. IF someone with a late 1955 Bassman had an amp that needed two P10Qs AND your date codes happened....very long shot...to match his OEM pair, then you as a seller have a lot of leverage because such an amp is worth more than the Tremolux.
    There are Gibson’s from the 1950s that had blue Jensen’s in them, too, but they don’t pull the prices that some Tweeds do.

schmee likes this.
  13. Wally

Schmee, did you ever pull those bell covers off of these EM12s? I would not be surprised if one finds ceramic magnets under those bell covers.

That is out of a Hammond Organ...those AO part of numbers that Hammond used for ALL components...speakers, chassis, Reverb tanks, etc... are a dead giveaway. Nice speaker there.

14. schmee

YEP! those were ceramic.

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

so I thought. Those bells can even say ‘Alnico 5’ while they have ceramics under them, ime. Transiti9nal period for those with the Alnico 5 on the bell???

schmee likes this.
  16. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

I built a quick 1x10 baffle for a cabinet of mine today and installed one of these 10pQ's in it...man, gorgeous sounding thing even for a speaker that's 65 years old..of course the dreaded
    -fart-out- is lurking in the shadows on these deals..i reached it, excused myself,and carried on..
    Some magic here tho for sure.

I just wish these were 4 Ohm speakers so i could pair them and have a proper 8 Ohm match with my amps.

17. Wally

Yes, I like PxQs. what amps??? Some tube amps will tolerate mismatches, and as I understand it a mismatch to the low side with a tube amp is better than a mismatch to the high side. There is a debate. Some tube amps like an exact match...according to some. And...some would rather mismatch to the high side. I consider a matched load to be preferable. I might feel that IF one is planning on pushing an amp hard, a match is a must. Ommv.
    If you wanted new speakers of that sort, you can special order the Eminence ALK1028 in 16 ohms. Two of those would do what you want. For more money, a Weber vintage style Alnico..,A10xxx...would be another option. The Emi is a lot of speaker for the money, ime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.