Speaker for Vibrochamp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mr.mow, Jun 20, 2008.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow TDPRI Member

Hi all, first post here, you lot seem to be pretty knowledgeable guys!!

I have a Ceriatone BF Vibrochamp on its way, I'm going to build a combo cab for it, but am undecided on the speaker/s

Its going to be pretty much 100% for lounge room use.. So high volume is not really a requirement.

I'm thinking of either a 1X8, a 2X8 or a 1X10
    For the 8s I'm thinking of the Jensen C8Rs, the 10.. I don't know..

I'm open to suggestions, I've not played a champ before.

Keep in mind I'm in Australia, so I have to pretty much have to buy local (I know weber's stuff is good, but his shipping quotes nearly killed me!).

2. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

The Weber Ceramic Signature 10S is one of the best speaker deals on the market--$29.99 and pure Blackface tone.

3. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Jensen P8R in mine....I think if I had a 10" in it, I would probably go with a P10R....after all, I like the tone of what I currently have, you know? A 10 would just be a little louder.

4. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

If you want alnico, I would go with the Weber Signature Alnico 10S, which in my experience is superior to the Jensen P10R reissue for the same or less money. The Weber has the same chime and sweetness at low volumes that is the Jensen's strength, but unlike the Jensen it holds together and gets incredibly ballsy the the harder it is pushed.

5. mr.mow

mr.mow TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, as much as I'd like to get a Weber, unfortunately he only uses UPS and Fedex for shipping.. Means $70 shipping on a $29 speaker.. Not an option!

I asked about the Jensen C8R cos a guy nearby bought a bunch of them and is selling them really CHEEP!

So I was thinking either 2X8 or a 1X10.. or even just a plain 'ole 1X8!

6. tmuka

tmuka TDPRI Member

I built a 1x12" combo for my '76 vibrochamp- i love the Weber 12A125 in it... sorry the shipping costs so much for you!

I think in your shoes my choice would be 1x10 instead of 2x8 just because you see more 1x10s than 2x8s, i think it'd sound more like a guitar cab...

7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

mr.mow
    I have a Jensen C8 speaker, and it's a pretty good sounding speaker, very full range and slow to break up. I tried it with my Silver Face Champ, but as warm and sweet as it sounded, I ended up with a Jensen Mod 8. Though it's a cheaper speaker, it's louder, with a deeper, tighter low end response. Sounds more like a 10" to me. I also tried my Champ with a 10" Jensen Reissue, by the way, and I still prefer the Mod 8.
    Mod speakers have very stiff cones, take a lot more breaking in than lighter cones. If you play mostly lead at the edge of breakup, you'll like the C8R, sounds like a brand new original Jensen, but if you play lots of chordal stuff or low, punchy notes, the Mod will hold the sound together better and not "fart out".
    You don't HAVE to put a Weber in a Champ. (Though they're great speakers).
    Get a 4 ohm, though, Champs can be picky about that. Sometimes it's cool to use an 8 ohm, but you never know if some internal component is on the verge, and an impedence mismatch might push it over the edge.
    Let us know what you pick.
    best wishes

8. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

9. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Weber in my Champ, but if I lived where you do, getting one shipped would not be very cost effective. Lots of folks have put Jensen's in their Champs and Vibro Champs. If I lived where you do, I'd do the same.

10. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

i'd recommend the 8" ceramic tone tubby. it's got a big ol' magnet, and has fantastic lows.

11. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Any more suggestions?

I bumped this thread because I'm going to replace the speaker in my own Vibrochamp. I was also thinking of the Jensen 8" Mod, mainly on reputation and value. I want clean and even frequency response (no or very little break-up and tight bass) without spending $80.00 (or even $50.00).

12. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I'd search ebay for an original Champ speaker, they can't be beat if they are in good condition.

13. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Anybody else?

Thanks guys, but I still have the original speaker and I have considered Weber. Just looking for more opinions and options. It seems like there are way more choices than were available just a few years ago, and I don't want to miss anything.

14. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

I asked Ted Weber this very question a few weeks ago, and wanted a 10".
    His reply:
    10F150T
    lite dope
    25 watts

15. mr.mow

mr.mow TDPRI Member

Well I ended up getting 2 8" Jensen C8Rs, reason being the guy was pretty much giving them away, he had 2 left in stock and I don't think was keen on being left with ONE, so I took em both!

Amp hasn't arrived yet though :rolleyes:

I think what got me about the Jensens... 'made in Italy', Love that.. cos the face plate for the amp will read 'Poco cinque'.. Italian for 'little five'!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.