1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker for DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Apr 14, 2021.

What speaker do you put into your new DRRI?

1. Leave in the Jensen c12k - you bought this amp because it sounded good as is!

2. Celestion creamback

3. Eminence Allesandro

4. Alnico of some sort (please comment)

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So I haven't been able to crank it up much yet, but when I do it seems a little on the brittle side of things. I use od and fuzz often, but also clean with comp or chorus.

Mostly rock, pop, garage... chords, some mediocre leads to fill and pass the time between my crappy pointless verses and the occasional disappointing chorus.

Since I'm self isolating from further pedal purchases, maybe a speaker can drain my wallet instead!?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    effzee and Shango66 like this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

You may want to give it more time. And more push, as some new speakers really take some force to open up. I thought that was cork-sniffing hoopla until I almost sold my AC15C1 because it was so stiff and spikey sounding. I gave it one more shove and chance, and it genuinely bloomed after being pushed for hours by baritone and humbucker guitars. Similarly, the Eminence 1258's and 1518 I have took some muscling to get them to open up.

Eminence's 1258 is wonderfully clear, clean, and efficient. Great if you want your DRRI to be a clean machine that you'll color with your pedals.

By contrast, WGS's G12C/S is (this will sound like a coffee commercial) rich, smooth, velvety, deep. Right out of the box. It can be very clear, but also has a sweetness to it. So if you want your DRRI to bend that way....

Both can be had as 8 ohms, and are 75W.

effzee, nicknklv, Oxidao and 2 others like this.
  3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My “other” is a Weber 12F150...

4. Axegrinder77

Thanks for the robust response - more coffee adjectives!

I do plan to keep the Jensen, so it will eventually have it's say. Nice to have an alternative to try out though.

nicknklv and RoscoeElegante like this.
  5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I've always liked Celestions in Fenders. More recently I had a WGS ET65, which is a Brit style speaker, in a 1979 Fender DR. May be my fave speaker in a Fender yet. Great clean and crunch!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Alnico gold or cream
    Creamback nice but very beefy and rocky. imho

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I can’t comment on the amp. But I found the best speaker I’ve ever heard in a Tone Tubby Hempcone 40/40. I thought it might end up being too dark, but it’s got sweet highs and a very rich sound.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The Emi Allesandro, from someone who has tried at least 20 speakers in DR's over the last 15 years...

9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Eminence C-Rex. It really brings out the best of everything this amp has to offer. This one makes me smile and anxious to keep playing it. This is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool Fender Twin Reverb owner and player of many (50+) years. It gets to sit amongst my Twin Reverbs!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  10. Axegrinder77

Had the Alessandro 10 in my Princeton. Pretty rockin speaker. The c rex and gold are interesting ideas.

11. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I now have bought several Eminence Swamp Thangs because they sound so good in a Fender style amp.

Telecastoff1 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

What's wrong, or bad about a Jensen C-12K?

* my 68 Deluxe Reverb had an Emi Red, White, and Blues ( 120 watt) I put in, which was big and clean- so ( at the volume I played, did not breakup with out a few fave pedals).

jackal, MilwMark and Axegrinder77 like this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Nothing necessarily wrong with it. Seems like it might be a little harsh with dirt, but I'll know that more when I try something else. I'm keeping the Jensen either way. I loved that amp in the store, straight in. Sweet sounding, crushed the 68s and twins to my ear.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

Me too!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'll admit, I've been acquiring and swapping speakers lately. I'm trying to keep it within reason, on the cheap, but, I did just install a new greenback in a Supersonic 22 (DRRI on steroids), and plan to test it under fire tomorrow nite.

16. Axegrinder77

Greenback is nice! I would probably go for creamback just because of the power handling. The greeny would sure be gnarly though!

17. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’m not usually a Celestion-in-Fender guy but FWIW I think the v-type is brilliant in a 1x12 Fender. They got it right in the 68CDR. Has a strong hint of GB mids but is more controlled, better balanced.

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve tried a bunch and (including several on your list) and concluded the stock speaker is perfectly suited to the amp.

Many others on your list will change the sound and feel. Keep an eye on sensitivity. Some like the C Rex will make the amp crushingly loud and (IMO) sound lien poo if you ever get
    to breakup (which is unlikely given how efficient the speaker is) - yes, mine was well broken in.

Keep it. Stop listing so close. Deny FOMO. Enjoy as is.

Shango66 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I almost went that way, but already planning a 210, or a 410, if this experiment works.

20. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

My 68 RI has the Celestion G12V-70 speaker - and to my ears, that's a wonderful combo.

Drew617 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.