1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker choice for 5E3 build?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by backalleyblues, May 2, 2019.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Howdy once again!

Soo, to follow on the previous thread, I'm going to find my own speaker for my 5E3, and looking over all the options out there-thinking I've got ~$100 to spend on the speaker, and I don't want to buy a bunch of them to "find" my sound. Measure twice-cut once kinda thing... I'm after a fairly vintage sound, a little rounder than brighter, but not "throw a blanket" dark tone. The amp will get used on stage, so some volume is needed, but we usually mic all our amps-no need for a 103db speaker!

This amp will get used with harp now and again, so this will rule out some of the Weber speakers, but not all by any means.

Candidates so far (feel free to suggest something else!)

Weber 12A125 (whichever flavor they recommend for harp)
    Emi Legend 1258
    Jensen C12Q (there's one on my local CL for $50, it's a Recoton)
    Emi GA-SC64

Any ideas? thanks in advance for your help!

Franc Robert

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I really liked the Warehouse 5E3 model. Cost was great and from the clips it sounded good.

I ended up getting the Ted Weber Signature Series for cheap and I do like it.

Bill Moore likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

4. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Weber will almost certainly recommend the smooth coned 12A125-O for harp. It's smooth cone means earlier deformation and speaker breakup, but it will also be the warmest 12A125 offering. As you add ribs, the speaker coned gets more rigged, meaning it won't deform and breakup as easily, but it will also get brighter, stiffer sounding.

I believe they stack up like this, from warmest and earliest to break-up through brightest and latest to breakup
    1. 12A125-O
    2. 12A125S
    3. 12A125A
    4. 12A125

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Phrygian77 and muswell_hillbilly like this.
  5. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

The Weber Sig 12 line is a bit more affordable and sounds great with the 5e3.

Urshurak776 and Ricky D. like this.
  6. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

I have a Jensen C12Q in mine and I personally think it sounds excellent. Does the Fender cleans well, not flabby on the bottom and sounds vintage when overdriven

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Weber alnico Sig 12 in my 5E3 the last ten years, very satisfactory. Weber recommends a 12A125A, which sounds about the same but is much more efficient.

thegeezer likes this.
  8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't get Weber's model numbers because moving up to 12x150 the default cone isn't seamed. A 12F150 isn't seamed, which is why I think a lot of people like it in a Deluxe Reverb. A 12F125 on the other hand is seamed. The 125-O and 125S are not seamed. Why create confusion for your customers?

9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I'm happy with my WGS C12Q.

10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I like the "O" cone compared to the other Webers. To me it sounds most like mid - late 1950's blue fram Jemnsen alnico speakers. And I like it for guitar most of all but harmonica does not sound harsh at all. And it is definitely NOT too dark. The O cone has the smoothest break up of all the models listed by far IMO.

11. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess, and it's been made more confusing over the years. But back when it was the Weber P12R, P12Q and P12N, they all had unique cones, than came the hybrids, like the P12NT (now the 12A150W), etc. Then, when the Jensen RIs hit the market (based largely on the success of Weber), Ted changed to the current numbering system and completely rearrange the old suffixes and keep adding new hybrids.

It does require some education and research.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.