Speaker cabinet size

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele-nova, May 8, 2021.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

What's the benefit of a 4x12 over a 2x12? I've been browsing some cabinets on avatar and I'm stuck between the two. I've always wanted a 4x12 but I can't really justify it as far as untility goes. Also is there any benefit of a 2x12 over 2 1x12's?

Convince me one way or the other

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Depends on usage: where you'll be playing (Venue size etc), what amp you're using, what you're plugging into it (guitar, bass).
    Also depends on age (your age): do you want to/are you able to lug around a 4x12.

tele-nova likes this.
  3. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Mostly it would be for my own gratification. Too busy with school right now to be in a band. I'm still young so moving a 4x12 is doable. I'd be using it as a guitar amp. And as far as heads go I have several in the 20 watt range but considering a 50 watt head also

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If you're just playing by yourself at home, I'd suggest a one 12" cabinet......plenty of (home) volume, and easy to cart around if anyone asks you to come over to jam. At MOST, a two 12" cabinet.....think Twin Reverb or AC 30. You can play "almost" anywhere with one of those.
    Thankfully, most guitarists have come to their senses concerning the mountains of speakers we used to use. It was like we were over-compensating for something. ;)

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My 2 cents: The more square inches of cone involved, the more air you will move. 4x12 will have more "slam" than 2x12, just like 2x12 will have more "slam" or "punch" than 1x12. Not just loudness, but more "impact". I'm having trouble coming up with the correct adjective, sorry.

A 2x12 cab is easier to carry than 2 1x12s, other than that, will sound the same. Unless you separate them by 10 feet or more, then phase cancellations may change the sound a bit.

tele-nova likes this.
  6. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

So I currently own 2 1x12. Just considering adding to the arsenal

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you are young, here's what you are looking for. These guys liked both 2x12 and 1x12 cabs.

WOS.jpeg

Us old farts get excited about stuff like this:

Mini-Guitar-Amp-3.jpeg

8. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

9. fiveightandten

fiveightandten TDPRI Member

Smaller cabinets do not sound like 4x12s, and vice versa. It’s a preference thing. Keeping aside the logistics of actually moving a 4x12 around, I’d go play a few cabinets side by side to see what you prefer.

hotcoffeenochill and Krackle like this.
  10. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

They sure don't..i was reminded of it after all through the pandemic, playing 1x12's or combos..quietly cause the whole building was home

I pulled out my only 4x12 (a locally made 'Steamer" cabinet from the 70's-sealed back, front loader) the other day and dusted off the neighborhood..but even at clean and moderate volume it's a completely different exeperience.

fiveightandten likes this.
  11. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

How high are your ceileings?
    [​IMG]

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

As my age goes up, the wt. of my equipment goes down. I took my old Carvin 2X12 cabinet to a couple of gigs last week and hurt my back.

One thing to consider: if you are using a 1X12, all the power goes to one speaker. If you have a 2X12, half the power goes to each speaker (providing they are matched). What is being gained, especially if there is a mic in front of one speaker?

13. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I have seen dozens and dozens of used Avatar cabs on reverb craigslist and ebay, and they don't seem to sell. That might be a consideration in terms of money spent now and what happens when and if you want to upgrade.

On the other hand, there's tons of Marshall 4x12's to be had for hardly any money, and even if you're not gigging w a metal band you'll have that 4x12 thing covered, and always be able to recoup your investment.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A 4 x "anything" does sound different. A Super Reverb sounds much different than a Vibrolux. Big thump, punchy. Do you need it? Probably not.

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

You already own a 1X12". I'd go 2X10" for something different with your 20 watters. Much less directional than a 12", tighter lows and punchy.

2019-11-23 Super Champ XD.jpg

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.