1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker brand preferences

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by LGOberean, Mar 4, 2021.

Speaker brand preference?

Poll closed Apr 1, 2021.
  1. Eminence

68 vote(s)
    33.2%
  2. Celestion

61 vote(s)
    29.8%
  3. Jensen

36 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Weber

42 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Other

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

So, whaddaya like? What's your preference of speaker brand?

Every amp I've ever owned was bone stock. I've never modded an amp, and that includes swapping out a speaker. I've never done it. So I'm curious what brand name to consider for future reference.

Just trying to get a sense of what brand replacement speakers TDPRIers like the most. I realize that there are probably plenty of variables besides speakers to the whole amp cab tonal equation, but we don't have to go through lengthy discussions of them, do we? I assume that each brand has speaker offerings for various possible tonal characteristics/voicings, such as Eminence's Redcoat vs. Patriot lines.

So my question is simple: all other things being equal, what is your speaker brand of preference?

And for those of you TDPRIers that just can't stand to answer any questions without tossing in variables, I've allowed for choosing to poll options, so you can say "Brand X for this, brand Y for that." :twisted:

TeleAndSG, Arfage and nojazzhere like this.
  2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I'm working toward neo speakers right now. I have a DV Mark 1-12 neo cab that sounds really good to me. Couldn't tell you how it sounds in a Fender, Marshall, or whatever because I don't have those.

The cab + speaker is 18 lbs total, which is enough to endear it to me.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Weber. All day every day.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I voted Eminence. Never bought one I wasn't completely blown away by. I think Celestions are up there too as far as quality, but the prices are higher.

zeke54, cracker973 and gdsmithtx like this.
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You hit it on the head, "all other things being equal" - they never are. Tons of variation in terms of response and power handling (before meltdown, also before breakup) between designs. I always cringe a little bit at posts that give feedback, especially bad feedback, on a "Weber" speaker somebody tried, as though that's any one thing.

That said, I tend to prefer low to mid watt American-style speakers, secondarily big flat clean speakers like JBLs or less-colored British designs. I usually start with WGS: They've got several useful designs for me that tend to be a couple db less efficient than equivalent Webers, and undercut those by a few bucks.

Weber does great stuff too but some of their obvious winners (*F125, *F150) are loud and shouty for my use. Those are gigging speakers; I don't get to open them up. Their inexpensive Signatures can be brilliant, especially the 10FS, if you don't mind that they're also very bright. The WGS Veteran 10 does roughly the same thing more politely. I really like a handful of Emis as well, especially including the Legend 1258 and gold Fender that everyone swaps out. That's a severely underappreciated speaker. But like the big Webers, many Emis are just huge.

allcasters likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Other".

Replacing speakers is a complete waste of time, effort and mental energy.

For any reasonable quality amp, I've found the stock speaker to be just fine.

This from a reformed speaker-chaser.

if that dragon hasn't bitten you yet, don't tilt your head to the side and pull your shirt collar away from your neck.

I know that's not a popular theory, but it's mine and hard-earned.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Emi’s are my pick. Well built, lots of straight ahead options, usually pretty efficient, and easily replaceable. I don’t like British speakers in my American amp. I like a lot of the stock Jensens in fender amps, I’m a pleb...but Jensen is the only brand that has failed on me, two or three times, I don’t mess with them anymore. Webers sound good but I don’t want to be out too much should one fail on me.

Pcs264 and Greggorios like this.
  8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like Eminence, but they're speakers are all really sensitive (loud!).

You don't hear as much hype about Weber as you used to. I had them send me a dud a few years ago, and I didn't really appreciate their response to the situation. Although, I've had similar, no so great, customer service experiences with other niche market companys, like Warmoth. However, I've had some recones done by Weber that I thought were great.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@Phrygian77 - that is another beef of mine with lots of aftermarket speakers. Way too loud.

keng and Phrygian77 like this.
  10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Very happy with Eminence, particularly the 1518 and 1218.

But the WGS G10C/S is absolutely incredible. Rich and smooth and deep right out of the box. Golden velvet!

11. rdjones

rdjones TDPRI Member

Electro Voice

in order of preference:
    SRO-12
    Force-12
    EVM-12S
    EVM-12L
    Force-10

The above are for clean, loud, accurate reproduction in higher power applications, or smaller amps that benefit from the higher efficiency.

For particular vintage-ish tones I like the Utah/Fender orange label or the generic Utah MS12G. These are rather scarce in the wild, though.

I don't care for any brand with lapped (seamed) cones.

Sometimes you just have to trust the amp maker's choice.

Bendyha, Telecastoff1 and W.L.Weller like this.
  12. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I cast a pointless vote for Eminence. The only speaker swap in a guitar amp I ever did was to put a Cannabis Rex in my PRII. I prefer the sound to the stock speaker. Does that mean there was anything wrong with the stock speaker? No. It’s just different. It certainly was a high quality product for a reasonable price.

gdsmithtx likes this.
  13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I voted on the speakers I have now. Current 'boutique' favourite is a Tone Tubby Green Ceramic 4040 Hempcone. I bought it on a whim in a homemade open 1x12 cab, and the tone is just superb. Thick and chimey!

My favourite 'bargain' speaker is an Eminence GB128. Supposedly, it's a 50W 'Greenback'. I dunno about that. But it provides a great crunch for my Orange head, sweet highs and beefy lows.

14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What's this "too loud" thing you speak of? I use mostly EVM12Ls. I recently got a Beyma Liberty 12, a reproduction of the old JBL E120; huge, heavy, and really loud, sweet!

Telecastoff1, CV Jee Beez and PhredE like this.
  15. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I'm going with Celestion because that is what has been in most of my cabinets. I've swapped or replaced a few speakers, but never been a tweaker.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  16. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Depends on the amp, how and where you use it, musical style, etc etc etc.

17. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Jensen MOD- best sound for the money
    Vox Celestion from 1965- Best sound for a lot more money.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

it seems now days Eminence has something I like for most amps. They seem to sound good right out of the box too.
    But like many things there are certain models within brands that are great.
    Of the speakers in your poll, Jensen would be last for me.
    Favorites:
    Eminence: 1058, 1258, GA SC64, Legend, Red Fang Alnico
    Celestion: The 15" G15V 100 Fullback is superb, Greenback 12 can be nice in a multi speaker arrangement or low watt amp.
    Weber: Some models are killer- 12F150 50 watt, Silver Bell 50 watt, others...

Alnicos are not my thing so the above is for ceramics.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I voted Weber speakers. I have them in my two tweed amps. I also have an amp that came with a Celestion speaker that I like a lot.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I love big beefy loud speakers- Cerwin Vega (sadly not made anymore, but Duane loved 'em too) JBL, EV. I'm not sure any of my faves are still in production.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.