1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker and Tube Suggestions for VHT Special 6

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Clifton82, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes TDPRI Member

I have a new production Tung Sol 6v6 and 12ax7 in my head. The cab has a 12F150 in it and it's a killer little rig. I leave it at our practice space and use it all the time.

2. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

"You talking to me ?" :lol:
    Yep, and more important, the use of an 8 Ohms speaker permits to give a 6L6 a "right" load by connecting the speaker to the 16 ohms output, therefore giving about 4K5 primary impedance.
    Just substituting the 6V6 for a 6L6 doesn't give you 10 watts, actually, with the impedance trick and the right bias neither (high voltage supply should be higher), more like 7-8 watts, where the stock SP6 is actually a 5 watter.
    The re-bias is not mandatory, but the sound is not very interesting without it imo, dry, lacking compression sustain and lows
    I now use mainly 6P3S-E, my cab has a Red Fang 10" and competes easily with a strong drummer.
    Best cheaper speaker (my taste obviously) was the Ramrod (i used the stock one, a Jensen P10R, a Legend105, the Ramrod and last and best the Fang)

3. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja TDPRI Member

I know that this is an old post, but I'll give you opinion on speakers. I have had 2 VHT12/20 amps, and also the Special 6. I tried a Cannabis Rex, a Jensen C12K, Weber California, an old generic CTS alnico and a ceramic. When it was all said and done I think that the VHT speakers are pretty good. I put the VHT back in and called it good. Tube changes had more of an effect than speakers overall. The VHT Chromeback is a really good speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.