Speaker and Tube Suggestions for VHT Special 6

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Clifton82, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Tele-Meister

I have a new production Tung Sol 6v6 and 12ax7 in my head. The cab has a 12F150 in it and it's a killer little rig. I leave it at our practice space and use it all the time.

2. kleuck

kleuck Tele-Holic

"You talking to me ?" :lol:
    Yep, and more important, the use of an 8 Ohms speaker permits to give a 6L6 a "right" load by connecting the speaker to the 16 ohms output, therefore giving about 4K5 primary impedance.
    Just substituting the 6V6 for a 6L6 doesn't give you 10 watts, actually, with the impedance trick and the right bias neither (high voltage supply should be higher), more like 7-8 watts, where the stock SP6 is actually a 5 watter.
    The re-bias is not mandatory, but the sound is not very interesting without it imo, dry, lacking compression sustain and lows
    I now use mainly 6P3S-E, my cab has a Red Fang 10" and competes easily with a strong drummer.
    Best cheaper speaker (my taste obviously) was the Ramrod (i used the stock one, a Jensen P10R, a Legend105, the Ramrod and last and best the Fang)

3. MyloAbeja

MyloAbeja TDPRI Member

I know that this is an old post, but I'll give you opinion on speakers. I have had 2 VHT12/20 amps, and also the Special 6. I tried a Cannabis Rex, a Jensen C12K, Weber California, an old generic CTS alnico and a ceramic. When it was all said and done I think that the VHT speakers are pretty good. I put the VHT back in and called it good. Tube changes had more of an effect than speakers overall. The VHT Chromeback is a really good speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.