1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Speaker advice for 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Twentyten, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Twentyten

Twentyten TDPRI Member

Hey guys, so I converted an old, broken 112 amp into a cab for my Vox ad15vt. I play mostly blues and rock type stuff, but I want to be able to play some metal too. I'm not looking to spend much money, so I've had my eye on some different budget speakers. A Peavey Blue Marvel, Celestion 70/80, and a Fender Musical Instrument Loudspeaker out of a '96 Blues Jr. are my options. What are your thoughts on those? I'm a bedroom player, so they don't have to be perfect, but I definitely don't want piercing highs

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

With those choices probably blue marvel. More rock. Imho

hotcoffeenochill, Twentyten and Tim S like this.
  3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I’d stick with the Peavy speaker. You can get those cheap used and Celestion70/80 aren’t special. Fender speakers don’t sound good with other amps IMO.

If you’re buying new, WGS speakers and Eminence are worth looking at.

4. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

I have a Eminence Legend V128 in a 1x12 Ear Candy cabinet and it slays! Blues to Metal. This is a very good demo and I can attest that it is very representative of the tone I get... Hope this helps you in your decision making process...

Good luck!

5. Twentyten

Twentyten TDPRI Member

Wow, that Red Stripe sounds killer! Looks like it's between a V128 and a blue marvel. I've been listening to some more demos and think the blue marvel sounds really good in this one

6. Twentyten

Twentyten TDPRI Member

I ended up being buying a Celestion 70/80 and a blue marvel because I found both for good deals, and decided to sell whichever I liked less. I tried the Celestion first and didn't really like it any better than the stock speaker. It was bigger sounding of course, but it was also kind of harsh in the high end. I did like the tightness of the low end though. Anyway, I put a blue marvel in and I think it sounds really good. Warmer, more mids and bass, less piercing in the high end. Thanks for the advice

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.