Sparkly pink

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by zorgzorg2, Sep 14, 2019.

1. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I'm building a tenor tele for a very demanding customer (my daughter :)), and she wants this finish: 3240b3a48a8ec5b2a5782fc0c3f7c797.jpg
    I don't have any spraying equipment, do I even stand a chance ? I'm in Europe (Sweden), any tips on how I could achieve this ?

I found some spraying cans from Montana cans https://www.montana-cans.com/
    They seem to have a glitter can, would that work if I put the glitter on the pink ? Or should I put the pink on the glitter ?

Thanks!

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

This kind of finish reminds me of Gretsch silver jets, where it is not some paint but drum shell wrap.
    If I were you that’s what I would be looking for, because otherwise you will have a hard time trying to achieve such sparkle on your own IMO.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

You can use spray clear and then dump the flakes on there. You do a little bit at a time and then clear over when you finish. But it will take a ton of clear to cover the flake.

You could use a preval to shoot 2k clear if you don’t have any spray equipment.

You can also buy one of those all in one hvlp units like thishttps://www.harborfreight.com/paint...-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit-44677.html

I have one of those that I used by taking a preval bottle, drilled a hole in the cap, then put a tube into that the same size as the one that comes with the unit. This is less messy. You need to make a smaller air hole in the cap as well for it to work.

I can give you better instructions with pictures of you like.
    Any way you shake it a flake finish is a challenge the first time, but definitely doable. Especially if you are going for greatest dad ever.

If you have an extra month to read it, the “son of meloncaster” thread is a must read for anything flake related.

I have done 4 flake finishes myself

4. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Hmm, interesting idea !

Are the wraps flexible ? I'll need to go around the entire body for this guitar...

5. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

I read the son of the meloncaster thread a while ago, I'll have to revisit it then. I've been trying to postpone buying spraying equipment, but yeah, being a great requires some investment ;)

I'll try the clear/flakes technique on some scrap to see how it works first though. The customer does have a big stash of glitter flakes I can try with...

6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Flexible yes, but to a certain point: the Gretsch Jets tops are carved, but I do not think you could wrap this around the entire body. You would have:
    - to make 3 pieces: one for the top, one for the back, one for the sides, and would have to hide the contact areas with a double binding;
    or
    - keep the drum shell wrap for the top, and finish the back and sides with the same nuance of color, but metallic instead of sparkle. I would do that in a slightly darker color to make the top pop out. But you would still have to hide the contact area with a binding, but a single one this time.

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  7. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ve done it with a LOT of rattlecans of 2-pak clear urethane and a homemade shaker (jam jar with a bunch of holes punched in the lid). Actually, I’ve done it twice, but I’m pretty sure there won’t be a third time...

It works fine—if you can get the flake on before the undercoat flashes off, and if you get it nice and even the first time. But it takes a mighty thick layer on top to get it flat, and that’s a lot of cans of clear.

And man, if you go that route, I STRONGLY recommend just doing the top! You do not want to be trying to get flake nice and even on the sides, and especially inside the cutaway, with a shaker. And if you sand through on the edges (or anywhere!) you will not likely be able to spot fix it, because the colored flake is actually silver underneath, and sand-throughs REALLY show.

Oh, and another thing you have to be ready for: flake gets EVERYWHERE. As soon as you open the jar, you’ll have it on your workbench, your shoes, your face, the living room sofa, the kitchen floor, the dog, your desk at work, everywhere.

With buying the flake, the undercoat, the clear, the buffing compound, and all the other materials, DIY wasn’t a LOT cheaper than taking it to a car customizing shop and having them do it for me. Which is what I did for the third one.

All in all, it’s worth it for a labor of love, and for a DIY experience, but it got old for me pretty fast. If I knew I was gonna do more of em, I’d get the spray gear.

9. Jupiter

Oh, another thing about flake: not all flake is equal!

What I mean is, the automotive stuff is designed to withstand the solvents in the clear coat; hobbyist flake isn’t necessarily compatible, and the color could run, so you’ll definitely want to test it.

sleazy pot pie likes this.
  10. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Coincidentally, I was just watching a video featuring Danny Coker of Count’s Kustoms (“Counting Cars”) and he talked about using piano resin on a car with a flake paint job due to the size of the flakes. Again, it was pure coincidence that I happened to see this thread after watching that video, and I have absolutely no idea what the application process for piano resin is, but figured I’d pass it along. Talks about paint at 5:40.

11. sleazy pot pie

D23294E7-3C5B-4646-B993-F5C2412E8116.jpeg

Painthuffer metal flake has some great flakes.

They have one color shifting pink to blue called fruit punch that is pretty small flake.
    The base color has a big effect on how it looks.
    I have two rough samples of fruit punch. I didn’t finish leveling the big one so there is a bunch of orange peel.
    The second one shows the difference between a black and hair base. Those are the same color flake just different base colors
    15FB39D4-EC00-4B7F-AE93-89D6D95B041F.jpeg If anybody knows about pink flake it would be Jupiter. Check out his DPP thread.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Test it first. Most Montana finishes have a medium texture to them and are very thick.

Whatever you use, do a complete practice application on scrap before starting on the real thing.

13. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I understand that whatever I do, it'll be much easier if i just do the top with sparkles.
    I followed the DPP with great interest, and that's probably why I didn't oppose a direct no to my daughter when she mentioned glitter flakes to begin with.

So here's what I'm thinking of testing now:
    - Apply a pink base coat, like this one:
    https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spr...paint/montana-gold-400ml-colors?number=283895
    - alternate glitter spray with transparent cherry https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spr...t-paint/montana-gold-400ml-transparent-colors
    Here's a link to their demo video of the glitter spray:

Then I probably need some clear...

I'll buy a few cans and see what I get on a piece of scrap.

@Silverface what did you mean when you said the finish had a medium texture ?

14. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I'll start by saying, compared to others on this forum, I know nothing! But I recently did my first ever attempt at a refinish in silver sparkle and I was surprised at how well it came out. I used Rustoleum Glitter spray in a can. I started with an undercoat of metallic silver then sprayed the silver glitter over the top. I didn't do the best job and if you look closely, there are a couple of patches with fewer sparkles.

I did many coats of clear using Rustoleum Motospray Acrylic Lacquer. I probably did too many but I was worried about sanding through the glitter and starting again. I did get a fair bit of orange peel but it is not really noticeable unless you look closely. I tried to stick to the advice of spraying a few passes of light mists and letting it dry between coats (using the instructions on the can - I think it was 2 hours drying time). I did it over several months.

The glitter paint consistently clogged the nozzle of the can so I only ever got 2 applications per can and had to buy a few cans. If I was better organised I would've taken them back and got replacements each time instead of buying them...oh well.

I did get quite a bit of checking which again, is only noticeable when you look closely. I do kind of like the effect though.

The finish is by no means professional grade. I probably could sand it much smoother but like I said, I was worried about sanding through and it is smooth enough to play and feel comfortable. Here's a pic from before I put it together. It sparkles better in real life compared to photos.

silver_S.jpg

Good luck with your project! I may end up doing a similar thing for my (currently 4yo) daughter one day. Although she already has a Hello Kitty Squier :lol:.

RiversQC and tvvoodoo like this.
  15. zorgzorg2

zorgzorg2 Tele-Meister

Ok, I got some cans in the post...
    20190921_134401.jpg
    So I got started on some scrap. It's birch plywood, the same the body of the guitar is made of.
    First step, sand to 180 with my sander. Then primer, here I applied 3 coats :
    20190921_115144.jpg
    Then the frozen strawberry. One coat was enough:
    20190921_133226.jpg
    After that I alternated the glitter effect can (looks like transparent lacquer with glitter in it) with transparent cherry. After two coats of each, I got something that my daughter liked a lot ("yeah, that's exactly what I wanted!")
    20190921_133732.jpg
    20190921_135159.jpg
    The texture isn't too bad, but I'll need some coats of lacquer!
    20190921_134721.jpg
    It's quite difficult to catch the sparkles on the camera, but I think you get the idea.

There are some places where there is more paint than others, the glitter isn't really evenly spread either, but that was just a test, to get acquainted with spraying (I usually just rub shellac and stain), so I'm quite happy with the result !

16. Jupiter

now you're cookin!

zorgzorg2 likes this.
  17. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Nice work. That’s looking great! Can I have one?

zorgzorg2 likes this.
  18. sleazy pot pie

Looking good!

zorgzorg2 likes this.
  19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If I wanted a custom paint job like you do, I would find the best car or motorcycle painter in my area ...

20. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

What's that pickguard's story? Looks interestin'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.