1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sparkle Drive vs Blues Driver

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Spoto, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Spoto

Spoto Tele-Meister

Anyone have any comparison thoughts on a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive vs Boss BD-2 Blues Driver?
    Is anyone using one of these with the Keeley modification?
    Still looking for sweet, creamy blues sound.
    Thanks

2. maxwidmer

maxwidmer Former Member

No keely mod but

the Voodoo Lab's feature of mixing in the clean signal to the overdriven one is excellent! I use to have a TS-9 and sold it after I got the SD...

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Depends on what you want out of it. If you're looking for a totally clear clean boost, or a source of dirt, then go for the Sparkle Drive, though it's my understanding that the tone controls don't work on the clean part of the pedal. I suppose you could turn down the drive and run the whole thing clean, but I don't own one, so I'm not sure how that works.

The Blues Driver does one thing very well, and that's a massive, slightly fattened, clean boost. I've only gotten one good dirty tone out of mine, but I love the way it sounds with the drive dialed all the way down. The amount of boost available is very high, so one can really hit the front end of an amp hard. Unfortunately, that's really the only thing I'd reccomend it for. Still, I swear by mine for that purpose.

This goes for the stock version of both pedals. I've been thinking about getting the Keeley mod, as I really don't use the dirt on the BD2 anyway, so why not give it a shot?

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

2 totally different animals

you're going to have to try them both and see which one works for you.

the sparkle drive is unique in that you can blend in an unprocessed amount of signal.

but nothing else out there seems to sound like a blues driver either. even when chugging out the dirt it seems to have a great quality of keeping the basic sound of a Tele in tact, only overdriven.

both pedals have their own faithful legions. try both and see which faith you choose to follow. choices are great.

5. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Keeley mods

I have the Keeley-modded version of this pedal, & it's good for *waaaay* more than a clean boost. It's a bit bright with single-coils (figures RK loves LP's), but still very sweet with singles.

Roll the tone control back to 9 o'clock or so, crank up the gain & use the volume control on your guitar to go from clean to scream. Very nice if your amp doesn't do that (I have a Showman...).

I can't speak to the Sparkle Drive, but the Keeley BD-2 is WELL worth looking at, plus RK's a prince to deal with.

6. The Snowman

The Snowman Tele-Holic

Had both...

I had both in a chain for a little while and both were Keeley modded...the BD-2 was more usefull to me so I just sold the Sparkle Drive to a guy on the FDP. It's a good pedal altho I found the tones not as sweet as the Keeley BD-2. The clean boost was worthless to me cause ya can just turn off the pedal....big woof....all in all, it's a good pedal but not my cup of tea...and for the last 3-4 months or so, I'm just using my VK so it's just the guitar, cable and amp...nuttin in the chain...and I actually prefer it that way...afterall, I do love the sound of my guitars...don

7. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I was looking for an overdrive I tried the Sparkle Drive and thought it was a very cool concept, but had way too much high end, even for my humbucker guitars. Maybe most of the folks that dig 'em have spent too many hours bombarding their ears with loud guitars and can't hear the highs anymore? :)

I also tried a Keely BD-2 and I dug it, but it sounded too transistor-fizzy, especially on single notes. Not bad for double-stops though, and otherwise it was a fine pedal. The Keeley mods were definitely better than the stock pedal.

I tried a Reverend Drivetrain and found that I could get really similar sounds, but it's not as transistor-fizzy/buzzy as the BD-2, so that's what I went for. I really wanted to like the BD-2, but it just wasn't doing it for me.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  8. telepbrman

telepbrman TDPRI Member

Drive with the Blues Driver...

I have had both in the stock versions, and both were tested many times back and forth...I play a pair of Pro Jr's and a dan echo in a Roy Buchanan style...and the winner was the Blues Driver. I had a bit of volume issues with the Voodoo Labs, and jump up and a bit of bite loss. I play Tele for that bite, anyhow, I dig the Blues Driver. Sidenote: I have an older Voodoo Labs Tremolo and I love it. It has no volume issues when I stomp on her....Two Pro Jr's, Dan Echo, Tremolo.

9. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

ok, 16 years too late/16 years older (aaaaaaah!)...but have you finally found your "creamy blues sound"?

10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

the bd and the sparkle drive also sound great together...

11. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

In my opinion this is the ultimate “apples vs oranges” questions. These are two great examples of very different types of overdrive. The Blues Driver is a very versatile pedal. It does clean boost, to light overdrive, and a great heavy tone too. But for me, it really, really excels at that light overdriven tone. If you watch the Andy Timmons gear run-downs, you can hear how he uses the BD2 as his main low gain tone. It’s a greatly good example of that sound imo.

As far about as I know, The Sparkle Drive is a tubescreamer variant with a mix control. In my opinion, tubescreamers are on the other end of the overdrive spectrum from flatter eq pedals such as the BD2. For use as a booster pedal, I find a clean mix really quite useful, because you can set the pedal to give a very different type of solo boost than your typical tubescreamer provides.

Someone else mentioned it, but BD2 style pedals and tubescreamer style pedals work really well together.

12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I have a Sparkle Drive and a Keeley Blues Driver--used to gig with both. For single coils the BD with the Fat switch on was miles above the Sparkle Drive, IMO.

They're both on the shelf at the moment, as I currently favor a mini Tube Screamer as an always-on pedal. At lower volumes it's more of an EQ thing, but boosting it with a Spark mini gets me to a happy place. :)

EDIT: WOW! Necro much? :lol:

13. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I just put a reminder on my phone to restart this thread on 12/31/35.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Wow 2003.
    I think I may have done that too from time to time.
    You search for a particular item, you click it..start
    reading.and post reply without looking..forgetting
    where you were.

I really dont think its bad, since it could always
    be still relevant to your question.

15. Crazed Fandango

Crazed Fandango TDPRI Member

I guess I'm doing it now....

I bought a Keeley modded BD2 3 years ago and it stayed on my board despite many other pedals coming and going. I recently started a 2nd board and added a Keeley Super Phat Mod to it, so I have a Blues Driver on both boards.

I think people that don;t like the pedal are looking for a drastic tonal change; what the BDs do, is give you more of your sound, with as much drive as you dial in (and a bit of fattening in the case of the Keeley mods).

I keep most of the dials at 11(ish) O'clock and sometimes push the drive to 1 O'clock and use volume control for cleanup.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.