Spark amp finally arrived!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by NJ Deadhead, Jul 12, 2020.

1. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

My buddy ordered one in February. Just came yesterday and he’s away on vacation. He asked me to Demo it for him. Check it out!

Mango_Dave and tvvoodoo like this.
  2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Still waiting for mine...

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I don't care how amazing it may be, I would never give my money to a company with such shady and unethical customer service.

4. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Can’t fault you there. They advertise the crap out of this thing and are barely shipping any at all.
    That being said, it really is a ton of fun to play with and is worth way more than the cost.
    I understand your frustration, but I just ordered myself one after playing my friend’s. It’s so good I’m happy to wait 5-6 months.

5. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

When did you order?

6. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I ordered mine right before Christmas, waited six months. The problem was it was supposed to be delivered in January then the virus and all the BS surrounding it, shutdowns and stuff. It is a fun practice tool and I use it downstairs while my wife is working in her upstairs office. It’s very controllable volume wise aa d the features are really cool. So I can play during the day when I don’t have other chores going on and not bother her. Then at night I play through my Mesa Express Plus. So I’ve got both things going and the Spark has really decent tones for a solid state amp. I’m still a tube guy, but this has its place and purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That Cal Webway likes this.
  7. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I ordered one in March because I wanted to get in on the pre-order discount and they had sold 8,450 out of a total 8,500 :eek: so I jumped quickly! The next day I went back to find they'd sold 8,513 out of 8,800.

Checking right now they've sold 38,449 out of 38,540. I think it's pretty shady that they're trying to drive up sales by making the supply look limited. I canceled my order because I had already made the credit card payment and hadn't received it yet and didn't really want to wait. Still looks really cool and I'd love to have one. But I figured once they work through the bottleneck reverb will be flooded with them and if I still want one, there will be other chances.

That demo sounds great and makes me want one though!!

8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Early May. Got a notice.. in transit.

9. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Yeah, I was holding off on ordering until I knew they actually existed and were being shipped to everyday people. The company has not been forthright with us, but now I know what I’m getting into. By the time it comes, I will have forgotten I ordered it and it will be a nice surprise.

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I ordered mine mid December fully understanding that I was pre-ordering a product that was still in development. I received my Spark in May and “for me” it has lived up to the hype. I am really happy with it...[emoji106]

20200713_000930427_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    DocG and Steve Holt like this.
  11. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It seems like an interesting amp, it has built in band-in-a-box, voice commands and chord finger displays on its remote... its remote.

That's not your average feature set!

12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Okay, I've been both confused by this and ignored this.

In part cos there's a Marshal style plugin by Mercuriall called Spark & in part cos the advertising is intrusive and just puts me off, plus I just assumed it would be expensive.

But I've just had a wee look. Yoinks - looks good and is (relatively) quite cheap. At the moment less that the Yamaha THR II 10 watt model.

I don't like too much choice, and I think the bazillion tweaking options would annoy me personally, but the play along features look cool.

Pax/
    Dean

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  13. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Imagine if you need tech service 5 years or more queue LOL

Rowdyman, bsman and NJ Deadhead like this.
  14. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

No doubt! At least it’s cheap enough that if it breaks it won’t be the end of the world.

15. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Yeah, I’ve been tubes all the way
    perfect use for it. My problem is that I spend a bunch of time dialing in tones on my small low watt tubes amps and less time playing. Now, I have 4 presets of tones I know I want at my fingertips with the spark. All my free time goes to playing now...big win!

aging_rocker and Owenmoney like this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I hooked up my iPad. And went in the tone cloud and just tried a bunch of tones, saved ones I really liked and don’t worry about the rest. Some are great, some suck. But by just spending a little time I found several useful to me. So I saved then and just grab them when I want. The play along feature works great for their backing tracks and for you tube videos. You can play along with lessons, backing tracks or your favorite songs and put yourself right in the mix so it sounds good. It’s a fun tool. Yeah it’s a tool, something that can really help you in several ways. It’s capable of getting good tones, it can get pretty loud and it’s portable, also works as just a Bluetooth speaker for listening to music or while watching videos, or even paired with your TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@NJD, in the demo, that's you playing and using the built-in accompaniment feature? Or is that a background track you are streaming to the amp?

18. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

That is the built-in accompaniment feature. Sorry for lack of clarity, I sent the original video to my buddy, but didn't post it here. I started out by playing and Am7 to a D9 back and forth for a bit and the amp analyzed it and laid down that backing instrumentation. You can choose between two different style rhythm sections. I'll post the OG video in a bit.

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Yeah, I was going to add I'd probably go crazy with the choices for a bit, but then get over it and use just a few. But I didn't, for brevity :) With my THR10, that's what has happened. I never touch the editor now and only use the Clean and Crunch settings.

I really like the look of the 'helpful' features. I suspect this could be a very useful tool. In part cos it looks so convent to bring up backing tracks, etc. Even though it's not that hard to plug something into the THR to play backing tracks, or to bring something up on my stereo to play along with, or plug into my interface and play along with a track in Logic over my monitors, it's still a bit of faffing around, and I seldom bother. Being able to plug straight in and get instantly cracking is appealing.

I'm going to research it to within an inch of its life, but I'm starting to think one of these might be in my future. Maybe.

Incidentally, what is the guitar you are using? I very nearly bought a MIJ Traditional 50s two days ago as it was on sale (equiv of US$703). Looked basically the same as what you are playing. My son standing there with me shaking his head and going "Don't. Mummy..." and the knowledge I'd still want a nitro finished guitar put me off.

Pax/
    Dean

aging_rocker likes this.
  20. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

The same thing happened to me with my Katana. Once I'd set a few tones I liked, there's no need to go near the editor now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.