1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spammed by PM - this needs to be stopped! rober4ut112

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by rogb, Dec 22, 2018.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Gretsch Pages=not "secure"
    Fender Forum=not "secure"
    TDPRI=not "secure"

Why do you think this is?
    Maybe because it's simply not worth the cost and effort of making them "secure"?

There's simply no sense in having snow tires in Texas, generally speaking

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

For the hundredth time, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

tery and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

they're not gonna hear you ;)

bender66 likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

FWIW my guardian against the "bad guys" has picked up more than one attempted invasion of this place and advised me against using it. I have never experienced this before in all the years I've posted here.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Sigh. I know.

They don't seem get that the problem is that it is very easy to sign up for a new account here with no new user restrictions. It is a trade off since these restrictions tend to discourage activity by legit new users.

blowtorch and Greggorios like this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Mr. Dogbey never sends me a PM :( … and I could use the money .

7. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I don't know, I have never visited them. But it doesn't mean they are smart, SSL is very cheap or free. Maybe Mr Robert can send us some $$$$ to pay for it, by Western Union of course.

Your circular argument doesn't prove "brains", not by a long way..

Gatwick Airport (a huge airport in the UK, generating millions a day)= "not secure"
    Why do you think this is?
    Maybe because it's simply not worth the cost and effort of making it "secure"?

Well since Drone Armageddon, they are going to be spending A LOT. Easy to be smart after the event, like the British CAA and Government. They knew about the threat but didn't do enough - till now.
    Of course, there are lives at risk, and all we do is talk about guitars, but parallel exists.
    Meanwhile let's wait for Mr Robert and his chums hack all the info out of these insecure sites and hijack them.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I think you are confusing SSL with the idea of web server security...

All SSL does is encrypt the transmission of your login credentials so that nobody can view them from using packet capture software like Wirechark or TCP Dump (unless they use SSL strip, which is a separate discussion...) SSL doesn't encrypt websites - it encrypts the connection to the website.

The perpetrator of a 419 advanced fee scam doesn't need to steal your login credentials to do what they are doing; they just create an account and write to whomever they want.

Sure, maybe having an SSL cert would send a message of, "Hey, we don't want anyone to steal your login and password credentials to this online community... we care about you." But it won't have any affect on what you complained about in your OP.

At least that's my layman's understanding of it.

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. blowtorch

The spam PMs are not due to a lack of SSL, and if this site had SSL, it would have done nothing to prevent those spam PMs
    (he patiently explained :))

notmyusualuserid, tery and bgmacaw like this.
  10. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

No I'm not, I was responsible for a huge UK newspaper website (which is SSL secured, why? there are just words and pictures) and as soon as SSL was available, it was deployed. Security is everything. Was then and still is.

11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

And I patiently explain that asking for SSL was among my requests in the short note to Admin. Go on, read the OP. It has nothing to do with the PMs, that could be helped by a more thorough weeding-out during registration, it's just what serious websites have in 2018. Along with SSL.

12. blowtorch

The implication you made, purposefully or not, was that the two were linked:

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

No you are linking them, I just stated it in my message. I have told you they are not linked. I hope you believe that.
    Anyway, if you have some time, test the site yourself.
    Go to
    https://pentest-tools.com/home

Type in http://tdpri.com

See if you are happy with the High Risk result.
    I'm not, which is why I always log out of this site when finished responding. Probably doesn't help as my details are in the DB anyway, but...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  14. SolidSteak

Oh! I did not know that. Maybe you can explain to me how SSL works? I always do a horrible job explaining it to people... it would help if I heard it from someone who knows what they are talking about.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

'IGNORE' the user the PM came from as well. As in hit his username and choose the IGNORE FLAG on that user.

Do the same for the CHN Spams that crop up and refresh your screen, gone.... easy two second fixes...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    SolidSteak likes this.
  16. blowtorch

Those words I quoted were yours :p
    But okay. We are in agreement- the PM spam has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the lack of SSL, and had SSL been in place, it would have done NOTHING AT ALL to prevent the PM spam, and SSL will NEVER EVER prevent PM spam.

I am certainly in KEEN agreement with you on this! :)

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

But you explained it correctly, and I explained to you I wasn't confusing anything about website v web server security.
    But I think you were trying to be sarcastic, oh dear:rolleyes:

18. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Hey at least the place is running fast enough now for us to go through all this ******** IN REAL TIME:lol:

19. SolidSteak

No, actually I am bad at explaining how technology works and was hoping to get some clarification from someone who has experience implementing it.

Maybe I misunderstood your original post as a request for SSL to mitigate forum spam. You can see how maybe someone might object and try to explain how that won't work, if that's how they interpreted you?

20. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

OK.....
    SSL WILL NOT NOW OR EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE INTERNET STOP SPAM OR SPAM PMs. NEVER.EVER.
    I APOLOGISE FOR SLIPPING IT INTO MY REQUEST. I SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER.

bender66 and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.