Spammed by PM - this needs to be stopped! rober4ut112

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by rogb, Dec 22, 2018.

1. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

I just got an email that a PM arrived, so I logged in to read it - it was from a spammer so I reported it and him/her and wrote this message: "It's a disgrace that on this previously fine forum that I should personally spammed by PM. Please PLEASE get your act together, get proper SSL security and step up your registration authentication."
    The message?
    From our old friend...
    Hi

I am Mr. Robert Dogbey. a banker by profession, worked with First Gulf Bank in Abu Dhabi for 15 years.( United Arab Emirates ) now currently holding the post of director auditing in the account department of the bank .I have the opportunity in transferring the sum of US $ 11,480,000,00)eleven million four hundred and eighty thousand dollars) i being deposited in to an escrow account by our Customer who unfortunately died on 15th July 2012 in a fatal plane crash in Northern China which involved the lives of his entire family. Based on this negative circumstances the deceased customer late Mr.Benson Rashidovich have no relation like his next of kin or beneficiary left behind to file application of claim for the funds to the management of the bank. Regard to this opportunity i am contacting you to stand forth as the deceased customers beneficiary to receive the funds in your country. I will use my position and influence in the bank in working hand in hand with you on legal procedures and direction on how to materialize a successful transfer of the funds into your external provided account details. What is highly required of you is the ability to be reliable, honest, trusted and to keep all information concerning this transaction and your involvement as the beneficiary strictly confidential to avoid public exposure, as you can understand that the less people involved the better. I am willing to offer you 40% out of the total funds for your vital role in standing as the beneficiary of the funds and i assured you that there will be no risk or anything incriminating against your freedom or reputation with your involvement with me in this transaction. I am hoping in the favor of your urgent response. This is My email: you can contact me in my email
    robertdodbey11@gmail.com
    Thanks Mr Robert Dogbey

2. Tervo

Tervo Tele-Meister

You are not the only one...

3. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Just calm down and ignore it. It worked for me

TigerG, blowtorch and drf64 like this.
  4. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Good for you. I don't put my fingers in my ears and ignore stuff like that. It has never happened on any forum I belong to and I don't see why anyone should have to put up with it on here. It wastes everybody's time and the owners need to up their game , because as far as I can tell this place is not being run as it once was.

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I think his email address is wrong lol

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, got that one too.

I was beginning to feel left out.

7. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

The more fuss you make, the bigger the win for the spammer.
    I also love the muteness of the new owners
    We all got the message, don’t take it personally, you are not special
    :lol:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Greggorios and Djentleman Dan like this.
  8. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

It's crazy that a site this size is not running proper SSL.

NilsZippo and Modman68 like this.
  9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's crazier that anyone even bothers to be bothered with this.
    Ignoring/blocking/deleting stuff is super easy

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

And explain to me how that’s going to help?
    Do you do your banking transactions on the TDPRI?

TigerG, bgmacaw and blowtorch like this.
  11. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Every site needs SSL now. I don't need to explain why, it's common knowledge. It won't help with the spam, I'm simply commenting that it's crazy that in (almost) 2019 for a site this size not to have an SSL cert of any kind. It's a $80 a year at the most cost, or even let's encrypt is a free option.

The comment on the registration system from the other poster is accurate though. A stronger registration system could help with the spam.

As for all the comments to ignore the spam, we all love the site, what's wrong with improving the security?

NilsZippo likes this.
  12. blowtorch

No, it's not. There's simply no need for it here. And it won't stop any of the stuff that people whine and complain about.

13. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I work in the web development field, I'm not going to get in one of these stupid arguments on here were everyone tries to act smarter than everyone else. My comments were made because it could improve a forum I have been a member of for a long ass time and love. Not to have a pissing contest. I'm not going to argue with people, you can all go use Google or argue with someone else about it.

NilsZippo and moose like this.
  14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

How would SSL help anything other than encrypting the user's communication? That's all it does as far as I know. Am I missing something?

SSL is the kind of thing you want when you are worried about someone doing a MITM and sniffing your password - not for forum spam.

15. blowtorch

So you're saying, "I'm not going to argue, just take my word for it"
    Um, yeah, okay. :)

16. blowtorch

Here's why SSL isn't needed on this site
    https://www.instantssl.com/ssl.html
    Why do I need SSL certificate?
    The internet has spawned new global business opportunities for enterprises conducting online commerce. However, that growth has also attracted fraudsters and cyber criminals who are ready to exploit any opportunity to steal consumer bank account numbers and card details. Any moderately skilled hacker can easily intercept and read the traffic unless the connection between a client (e.g. internet browser) and a web server is encrypted.

Hopefully no one here is exchanging any credit card or banking account info over this site. Therefore, no need for it.
    Personally, I do not care if some hacker wants to look at my pics of guitars or listen to the songs I post here; it's all public info anyway, and I've nothing to hide

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

You are so wrong on many levels, and I'm puzzled why you can't see the bigger picture. it's nothing to do with spam or banking.

SSL shows that the site owners CARE about their members and the site's security and wish to do everything possible to keep their personal log-in information safe, PMs are kept just that, private as the site would then be encrypted.

Imagine Mr Robert and his buddies getting ALL the log-ins from this site, a helluva lot, and posting acres of spam. Worst case scenario, the site would have to shut down and all users would need to re-register.

I get the feeling that you are not keen on agreement but like to take the opposite view. Oh well, it makes the internet an interesting place;)

18. blowtorch

You still haven't sold me, not one bit.

There is no money to possibly be made from this= not a real threat, at all, in probability.

19. blowtorch

And, I'm plenty keen on agreement with people who are correct :)

20. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Do you agree that Mr Robert is sending PMs, one by one, to everybody here?
    What might his motive be? All that time and effort, for nothing. The bad folks out there now know TDPRI is not secure, this information gets around.
    What if Mr Robert and his buddies hacked the user DB, shut us all out by changing the passwords, wait, no that's impossible, and anyway you wouldn't be whining about that because it's just wrong.
    No you wouldn't because there would be no TDPRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.