SPAM Musubi Recipe

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I like a stuffed green peppers with spam chunks. I went to spam fest in 2001 in Austin and they had all kinds of recipes and concoctions.

ucnick

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I first had musubi on a vacation in Hawaii and was hooked. Wife learned to make it using a Spam can as a mold, I think that is how they do it there. Or something like that. Anyway I love it!

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I first had musubi on a vacation in Hawaii and was hooked. Wife learned to make it using a Spam can as a mold, I think that is how they do it there. Or something like that. Anyway I love it!

Yep, it’s an Hawaiian mash-up.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
832B0542-95E9-4CAA-82A8-C303D5F5FE1A.jpeg

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
I ate it as a kid… fried yum!
I decided to make some a few years ago and I was relegated to the outdoor grill. The smell was so bad the neighbors called the HOA on me. Didn’t take a bite :(

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
Spam used to be a thing when I were a kid. But, I'd guess since the 80's the only time I've heard it mentioned is as a bait for fishing.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
Well it sure looks fancy to me.

It's not, really, although I imagine the nori (seaweed) used to hold it together might make it look that way. Spam musubi is Hawaiian utility food, something you'd stuff in a lunchbox or take with you for a snack or a quick meal.

If you can't stomach the Spam, a piece of a ham slice is a good substitute.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
It's not, really, although I imagine the nori (seaweed) used to hold it together might make it look that way. Spam musubi is Hawaiian utility food, something you'd stuff in a lunchbox or take with you for a snack or a quick meal.

If you can't stomach the Spam, a piece of a ham slice is a good substitute.
i had never heard of it before... That could explain why.
edit i don't think we have spam here. We have corned beef. I don't if it is the same. But that is not so good.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
i had never heard of it before... That could explain why.

That's okay; having only ever been through the airport in Paris, there are probably a few dozen quintessentially-French utility dishes I've never run across, either.

My wife's Hawaiian and we both looooove Hawaiian food.