1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Spalted Maple build - Need help

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Dubesswimmy, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Dubesswimmy

Dubesswimmy TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. Looking for a little help with a build I am doing of a t-style. Spalted Maple top and aged pine body all stained and sealed. Warmoth birds eye maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. I’d Tung Oil on the neck but also sealed the headstock.The challenge is I’m not 100% on the combo of colours as the headstock is pretty bright. It matches the neck and the body, just not the top necessarily. Thoughts are the following:
    - leave as is, no pickguard, and embrace the wood grains
    - add pickguard, but minimal as I don’t want to cover up the nice spalt on the horn. Question is black, cream, other colour?
    - sand down the headstock and try to stain the face of it. Then do I match the body or the neck?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. As a note, then humbucker is (will be) a custom stainless steel mesh, and the rest is all chrome.

A01B108E-A30B-4265-8766-D021D838773A.jpeg 41B60B6F-0FF1-49CF-A638-0FC3B1EA453A.jpeg

dented likes this.
  2. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

What is all the writing and insignia say?
    You say Warmoth neck, but none of the headstock logos (front or back) look anything like what you would see on a Warmoth.
    The back of the body looks like BGW Guitars(?)
    I Googled that and found a company in Singapore.
    I Googled DGW and found a Durango Guitar Works.

So, what do those logos say, exactly? Where is it from?

Because if you say Warmoth and it isn't a Warmoth, it makes a difference due to the oil finish Warmoth applies that almost no one else does.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I would go with it as is.

Newly-machined and finished, hard maple is really bright in color. It will mellow over time; if you stain it now, it will probably look a bit weird after a year or three. Give the wood some time to mellow.

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

That's one gorgeous top!

Judging by the amount of pick scratches I see on the black plastic on my black guard, you may want to consider a small clear scratch guard below the pickups. If that truly is spalted maple, it maybe a bit on the soft side. They make some nice invisible clear ones for acoustic guitars you could cut to the minimal shape you need.

As far as the peghead goes, with that fingerboard, I'd go for dark. On the tele you see in my picture, I went as dark as the dark part of the burst on the rims (with black tuners and an ebony fingerboard).

dpang2836 likes this.
  5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I have one built early last year. I rubbed mine with tru oil. It is as smooth as anything. But I just noticed yesterday when I pulled it out of the case it is starting to yellow just a bit. It's Alder with a 3/8 inch cap

20190706_133509.jpg

Attached Files:

dpang2836 likes this.
  6. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I like no Pickguard, or a Clear one, but just Cabronita Style. Mount Pickups to Wood! Control Cavity looks a little Long? Might have to make a nice Plate out of Wood.

hemingway and dented like this.
  7. Dubesswimmy

Dubesswimmy TDPRI Member

All the decals are my own design. One is my initials, the other the dragon from our family coat of arms. So, despite my personal stamps, the neck is Warmoth. Built it custom-ish from their website.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Dubesswimmy

Dubesswimmy TDPRI Member

Had me worried there for a sec. All good. Must have been the angle.

IMG_2200.jpg

9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, wood like that needs a clear guard or no guard at all. Beautiful.

10. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

OK, great. Then I'll assume the whole thing has been Tung Oiled successfully.
    I'd give it a light level-sand and find an amber-ish stain/dye/pigment/powder additive that you can add to a coat of your Tung Oil.
    Its always better to stay with the same finish, so if it's Tung Oil, then I'd use the same, only a tinted coat.
    Then, a few more clearcoats of tung oil to lock it in.

Having said that, I'm primarily a lacquer guy so I don't know what dye/stain/pigment/powder you can blend into your tung oil.
    As I'm not sure what mixes with an oil finish since I don't use them.

The reason I say this is because on my builds, I Always find a way to match the neck/headstock with the body.
    I never would slap on a raw plain Maple neck onto one of mine.
    But...that's just me and how I do it, doesn't make it right, just that I prefer mine that way.

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Just use a pickup ring, no need to cover up that beautiful top!

natec likes this.
  12. control voltage

control voltage TDPRI Member

It seems to me that once the headstock has the tuners installed, string trees if you're going to use them, and strings running across its face, it might not seem like it's as much of a contrast. The open, bright area would be broken up.

I think it would look good either way, as-is or tinted to match the top.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.