Soy, Almond, and Goat's Milk are Not Milk...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Jul 24, 2018.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently the FDA has decided that only bovine lactal secretions can be labelled as "milk".

This is in response to the dairy industry losing market share to plant-based products, but non-bovine lactal secretions such as goat's milk will also be prohibited from using the word "milk".

This opens the door to questions about products such as almond butter or apple butter...

Personally I don't see what the problem is, but I feel safe knowing that the FDA will spend significant time and resources on this major health issue. ;)

Can anyone suggest a name for plant based non-milk bovine lactal substitutes?

I was thinking of "Nilk" which could be short for "Non-milk"

Any other suggestions for new non-offensive names that won't rile up the dairy industry?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-need-find-alternative-description/795981002/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

As someone born and raised on a dairy farm and recently put on almond milk by my doctors, I agree that it ain’t milk. Never tried soy. But I like tofu ?

But I love goats milk and goats cheese. How the heck can you say it isn’t milk when the dang dictionary says it is ?

Oh well, I just lost a fight against a 6000 head cattle factory being built in a populated area with a beautiful set of gardens. so both the FDA and USDA are on my ****e list.

I’m thinking good thoughts.........peace...........love...........harmony................:)

Stubee, naneek, scrapyardblue and 2 others like this.
  3. JayFreddy

If it's not too personal, what is the purpose of the almond milk?

I was allergic to cow's milk as a child, and have recently switched to soy milk to try and reduce my cholesterol. I actually love soy milk in instant mashed potatoes and on cereal better than cow's milk, but I haven't warmed up to the soy-based cheese yet...

PS. Someone else just suggested, "Mylk". :cool:

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Liquid almond and soy products are definitely not "milk" and if you can say they are, then you can call a chicken wing a turkey leg. Sheer madness we have been living through for the past several years in the "dairy" case!
    "Milk" doesn't mean "white creamy liquid" - there are lots of white creamy liquids in the world we don't dare call milk.
    But goat's milk - what else is it but milk? Goat's milk is drunk all over the world, and its...the milk of a goat. What are we gonna call it - goat secretions?
    That one is just crazy.

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cow milk is the "perfect food"....... for baby cows.

I always hated milk as a kid.
    My parents kinda forced me to drink it.

Now I know I'm allergic to the stuff.
    Guess my kid "instincts" were right.

Tony474, Jakedog, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

NSFW, but accurate.

bender66, Dan R and JayFreddy like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

OP, I see your point about nut "butters" though. Peanut butter = Peanut mash? Peanut Goop? Head cheese, what about that? We don't want to call that by an accurate name...

RomanS and JayFreddy like this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you going to let some pointy headed academic tell you goats don't make milk?

Mammals lactate! Deal with it!

(I love milk and everything (cheese) about it.)

soulgeezer, Stubee, catdaddy and 4 others like this.
  9. JayFreddy

I think it's pretty silly. For the most part, we know what we're talking about when we say "almond milk" or "apple butter", and requiring a different name for the sake of the bovine dairy industry is likely to have the reverse effect.

I know people who drink cow's milk who will boycott it on principle just because they don't like being told what words they can or cannot use...

10. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

White fluids from plants, animals, etc have been called “milk” for a long long time. Long before almond milk and soy milk made in-roads as they have these last 5 years or so. This is just the dairy industry lobbyists and money winning over the lawmakers because they’re losing market share.

11. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Those crazy guys.

Just for that, I'm switching to goat milk.

DannyBuffalo and JayFreddy like this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hey! I'm a pointy headed academic, and I'm telling you goats DO make milk! I've milked em myself. I somehow think that the burgeoning Goat Milk industry is not going to like having to call their product "Goat Secretion" or "Goat Food" very much.

13. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Goat fluid.

14. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

For me it was for the extra protein. I have to keep up my red blood cells and platelets for chemo/radiation. I don’t dislike it, it’s just not milk. I do still sneak in some real live milk straight from the cow when I can. The kind you have to stir the cream back into :D

I honestly could care less what they call it, I am smart enough to know almonds don’t have udders:rolleyes:

RomanS, william tele and JayFreddy like this.
  15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh oh.

[​IMG]

They can't mess with a classic.

16. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Ok... hear me out.

It’s all about oat milk!!

Better than real milk. The brand to get is called Oatly, it’s from Sweden and is absolutely delicious. Very good with iced lattes. Also healthy and sustainable.

17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I hate goats, and they seem to hate me. So we have a mutual non-aggression pact. But I don't trust a goat as far as I can throw one. By extension, I avoid all goat products, including goat milk.

I don't much like cow milk either.

I try to be a milk disrupter. Whenever we are in the grocery store, when we come near the yogurt section I like to announce to whomever I am with, "oh look, Greek yogurt. By law Greek yogurt must be made with 100% pig's milk. Oinkos means pig in Greek." I do this every time I see Greek yogurt. It is my goal in life to one day overhear someone repeating that remark in the wild. When that happens I will know that my work here is complete and I can finally relax.

Stubee, trapdoor2, LocoTex and 4 others like this.
  18. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I've been hearing "coconut milk" since I was a pup, and I'll bet it went back much farther than that.

Biologically speaking, it serves the same purpose...

I wonder if they'll make us rename our surgical instrument lubricant? We use this stuff every day...
    31fZZ6oydwL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

19. JayFreddy

Agreed. There is a weed that grows in the field behind my parent's house that secretes a milky white sap if you break the stalk.

We call it milk weed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed_(disambiguation)

Thank you for sharing. God bless you man. Get well soon.

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Ive always been big on milk for kids, I drank it by the bucket full when I was young.
    We go through probably 5 gals a week with all the kids around here, they’re all healthy as horses.
    My grandson is 6’5” 17 years old, he drinks a lot of milk, maybe something to the growth hormone thing.

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.