Sovtek 6l6wgc in a Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Matimat2010, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Matimat2010

Matimat2010 TDPRI Member

I just replaced my tubes in my Hot Rod Deluxe with Sovtek 6l6wgc tubes and biased them at 60. The amp is way quieter now, but essentially easier to control. I've read these tubes are rated at lower watts. I like the sound, but worry it may screw something up in the long run. Is there anything I should be concerned about? I can't find that much info any Google, anybody else tried these tubes in a hot rod? If so what were your results?

2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Had the sovteks installed in my 93 Blues Deville 410, Prefer them over JJ's, Ruby's.

Matimat2010 likes this.
  3. Matimat2010

Matimat2010 TDPRI Member

I like how they sound, and having more control over my volume. Did they make you're amp quieter at all? Should I be concerned, or am I just being worried for nothing?

4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have had the same results with Sovtek 5881 tubes. I was getting the "Fender" branded 5881s, and they sound good, slightly lower volume, get some distortion at a lower volume level, which is useful with a loud amp. Use them in Twin, Bassman, HRDeluxe.

Matimat2010 likes this.
  5. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Yes, they made quite a volume difference. I was able to put it around 4/5 on the mv. Just being worries for nothing, your amp is finally performing like it should.

Deathray and Matimat2010 like this.
  6. Matimat2010

Matimat2010 TDPRI Member

Thanks man!

7. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use Sovtek 6L6’s and 5881’s in the Hot Rods all the time. Great tube in those amps. If you want to lower the volume and make the Drive channel more useable try putting a 12AT7 in V2. I’ve done this in a lot of these amps and my customers always like it.

Matimat2010 likes this.
  8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

The Sovtek WGC tubes are I have are the wafer based version of the same tube sold as the Sovtek power tube Groove Tubes sold as the 6L6WGB. The latter used to be the stock power tubes in the HRD. The internet information I was able to pull indicated these were not true 5881s or 6L6s, but actually servo tubes made for the Soviet military that are suitable for use in many 6L6 circuits.

I owned two of the last American made HRDs. They both came stock with the Sovtek 5881 that were sold as Groove Tube 6L6Bs. One pair - with white lettering - sounded really good. The other pair - with the red/orange lettering - sounded very bland no matter how much I adjusted the bias.

I sold one of those amps about three years ago. I replaced the power tubes in that one with the Soviet military 6P3S-E power tubes before selling it to a friend. These are the military version (wafer based) of the tube later sold with the wafer base as the 6L6WGC, of which I also own a few. The HRD I kept has short bottle JAN Philips 6L6WGB power tubes.

One thing I have noticed about this 6L6WGC is that it sounds really good when pushed hard/class A - like in my little 10 watt amp.

These aren't the best sounding power tubes you can stick in a Hot Rod Deluxe, but they should work just fine in there.

Good luck.

Matimat2010 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.