Southern California Lumber Source?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Stoked, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Stoked

Stoked Tele-Meister

Hello everyone! I've been making plans to start building my first neck and I've found out that I have no idea where\how to buy the lumber...:cry:. So I'm hoping to get a suggestion or two for a lumber yard preferably near Long Beach, but I'll go anywhere from Los Angeles to San Deigo.

I am hoping that going to a lumber yard will be less expensive than buying blanks online, and it will also be nice to see the wood in person before buying.

Also, what are common lumber dimensions that you would buy to make neck and body blanks?

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I really have no idea how this works so any input would be helpful.

studio likes this.
  2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

If you go to woodfinder.com you can put in your zip code and search for sellers based on distance, species, etc. It doesn't have all sellers, but a good amount of them. I looked around the LA area once and there is pretty slim pickin's. The one place that looked to have a good selection looked rather pricey, though still probably cheaper than buying blanks.

3. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

I go to their San Diego location and they have decent prices and OK variety, I haven't been to this location:
    Austin Hardwoods and Hardware
    Santa Ana, CA 92701
    Phone: 714-953-4000

Also, a little pricier, but better variety:
    FROST HARDWOOD LUMBER COMPANY
    6565 Miramar Road
    San Diego, CA 92121

4. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

TH&H in San Diego has a lot of hardwood boards in various sizes. FROST has a lot of exotic stuff

At TH&H you can buy a 12 ft alder board for $60 and make 3 bodies out of that.....which is way cheaper than ordering blanks from internet.

At Frost...I saw a nifty piece of some crazy species of ebony that would have made a great fretboard....it was $60 also.

5. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

That was my favorite place to go when I lived there. I got a beautiful piece of poplar there, big enough to do 3 two piece bodies, for about $35. They also have good prices on african mahogany.

6. Stoked

Stoked Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestions :). I'll stop by the place in Santa Ana first since its so much closer, but it sounds like I should check out FROST next time I'm in the San Deigo area.

7. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

Please report your experience about the Santa Ana store. I heard also about another place called Bohnhoff Lumber in the LA area. I will visit it next time I am in LA during the week, they do not open on Saturdays.

studio likes this.
  8. grimespace

grimespace TDPRI Member

Any love for Reel Lumber in Anaheim or Riverside? Or Ganahl? Are there better yards in the LA area?

www.reellumber.com

9. grimespace

grimespace TDPRI Member

Any love for Reel Lumber in Anaheim or Riverside? Or Ganahl? Are there better yards in the LA area?

www.reellumber.com

10. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

I visited last weekend Reel Lumber in Anaheim and Austin Hardwoods and Hardware in Santa Ana.

I couldn't find anything I liked at Reel, but I was really impressed with Austin. I found some great Alder for a body, and they had a great variety of Mahoganies and some exotic woods. I also got some Sapele to make necks, very similar to Mahogany. good stuff

11. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Bohnhoff is legit if you can get there on a week day. Gigantic stockyard of material, and great prices. I feel like they're generally more geared towards furniture hardwood, like walnut, but they've got all kinds of stuff.

12. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

House of Hardwood in culver is great for exotic hardwoods, but they are expensive. Still, they've got ebony, mahogany, cocobolo, rosewood, some curly maple, ash, zebra if you're feeling weird... etc- they also do a lot of slabs and burl pieces if you're looking for something interesting... 2 other things worth mentioning - they do thickness sanding and they also have a bargain bin of glued up waste pieces from tabletop jobs... these usually happen to be perfect blank sizes. Sometimes it's nice wood too - but it's always at least something that would work for an opaque finished tele.

13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Bohnhoff is a good place. I know one person who works there.
    He is a friend of my nephew and he had a close call with death there a few years ago.

Check this out:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B235376.PDF

14. Doyledagain

Doyledagain Tele-Meister

Oh my god... he's lucky to be alive. That's nuts.

15. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

On a positive, the friend says they have nice selection
    of woods for guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.