Sourcing your own parts for a 5F1 Champ

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by James Knox, Jun 30, 2020.

1. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I want to start ordering parts for My second 5F1. My first was a Kit from Mojo. I live in Phoenix so I order a lot of stuff from Antique Electronic Supply in Tempe cuz I get them fast. This will be build #4 so I want to try some New stuff.

I like Belton sockets over ceramic.

I liked the F&T Filter caps in my 5E3 build.

I want to try some Blue Sozo’s and see what all the fuss is about.

I don’t want to wait for a month for a cheap Chassis from China.

I want to try some Classic Tones trannies.

What parts should I be be thinking about for an “optomized Champ”? If you source your own build parts, where do you buy from?

Thanks for your Feedback!

James

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Hammond 290AX PT and use the 275v tap if you want dead on schematic levels. It's 100mA and supports a 5u4 rectifier. Haven't used their Champ OT yet but will if I build another.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

3. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Agree with Mr. White. I’ve used the Hammond 290AX power Xf and the 125BSE OT on 3 champ builds this year. Very pleased. I’ve not used the Classictones at all, but hear only good things. Sourced the Hammonds from Hawk Electric (www.hawkusa.com) Think they’re in Illinois. Quick reasonable shipping to SC.

jtcnj, James Knox and jsnwhite619 like this.
  4. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

I like Belton sockets over ceramic as well.
    I like F&T Filter caps as well.
    I have used Blue Sozo’s and IMHO not much to fuss about except they look cool.
    I have used Classic Tones trannies as well as Hammond and like them both.
    Dale RN65 resistors are kind of cool.
    I get most supplies from Antique Electronic Supply, Tube Depot, Hoffman Amps, Mojotone, & Mouser.

5F2A Board Components.JPG

jtcnj likes this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

I was gonna say AES carries the wholesale version of ClassicTone, same iron branded by the parent company Magnetic Components. BUT it looks like they don't carry a version for 5F1. There's been some shakeup in the CT distribution chain, and then there was a slowdown in their shop due to our pandemic. TubeDepot now carries 'em and is fast and reliable IME; they seem to have the 40-18019 in stock.

Nothing at all against Hammond -- just built my first amp with their iron and it sounds great (I suspect good PTs of the same spec sound much the same). If I had to cite a difference, the Hammond had slightly tidier bell covers, but my CTs have had slightly nicer *leads* (pre-tinned, more uniform gauge). I can also endorse Hawk as a Hammond supplier, but since you're in AZ, AES carries a lot of Hammond too.

Have you picked an OT? Kind of a fun trip for the Champ. Many folks go with 8K primaries -- in the CT line both the 40-18030 and 18031 are popular, and the option for at least an 8ohm speaker is useful. BUT the original 5F1 was 17K into 4ohms, and if I already had a 5F2a I'd be tempted to do a 'real' Champ...

Paul-T likes this.
  6. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

I just finished a 5f2a. Yesterday I ordered all parts less speakers and cabs for a Champ and a Harvard. It is hard access everything and 'one stop' shop here in Canada, so I ordered this iron
    https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/hammond-290ax-power-transformer.html
    https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/hammond-1750c-output-transformer-7k-3-2-ohm-se-5w.html
    and most of the 'innards' from Next Gen here and the chassis, tubes, CComps, 2w MOs, etc. from AES. Next Gen was free shipping but he AES bill will carry $47 U.S. for shipping! If I lived where you live, I would one stop shop at AES, case closed!

I looked at those off shore chassis and like you....nah.

^^^^.....is exactly where I'm at!

James Knox likes this.
  7. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I also buy from me hen, being a Canuck as well. Just Radios for resistors and caps. Matt at Musical Power Supply is my go to guy for iron. He has always taken good care of me, he is a little close to you.

James Knox likes this.
  8. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

I think I got all my Classic Tone iron at Tube Depot. I source most of my small parts there as well. The shipping from Tenn? is it to NJ is reasonable.

Have used Hammond iron from Hawk as well, we happy.

other small parts from AES, Hoffman; shipping is always the issue on small orders. Adds up.

MuzcialMatt on ebay is Musical Power Supplies Inc. got my 18w OT there, happy.

There are some cheap ebay sources for cab handles, corners, feet etc. I have used that are at least good enough.

James Knox likes this.
  9. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

What did you like about the F&T caps? I'm always at a loss to understand why someone expresses a preference for a specific brand of electrolytic caps, unless it is disliking X brand because they failed prematurely in the past or something like that.

As far as transformers, I've been happy with classic tone when I've used them. If you want something that is potentially a "step up" without paying $$$ for mercury, you could try Edcor. They are about the same price as CT, definitely nicer in fit and finish at least, the only downside is they have a long lead time and the shipping adds to your overall cost.

Sourcing parts is all about trying to find a one stop shop, otherwise shipping kills you. The best for me have been AES or Weber. Weber's shipping cost has gotten crazy lately and they screwed up picking on my last two orders (they made it right, but still...). When you consider free shipping on orders over $90 or so from AES, its hard for me to justify buying anywhere else and I keep coming back to AES eventually.

Totally agree on the Belton or similar upgraded sockets over ceramic, at least on the 9-pin sockets. Cheap ceramic octal sockets are good IMO, but the noval ones SUCK.

Check out Zach Hunter on Ebay for a chassis. Good quality, made in the USA, and quick turnaround. His prices are good enough to justify ordering separately from your other parts.

If you really want to optimize it, consider using metal film resistors. If you want to keep the carbon comp "mojo" you can use those at the plate resistors and maybe one or two other places and use metal film everywhere else. If you want to compromise between the two extremes you could go carbon film.

Another point of optimization you shouldn't neglect is layout. The champ layout is simple and I don't think it needs to be totally redone, but you can get a lot of mileage out of moving a couple of components, move the input grid stoppers to be soldered directly to the socket and elevate the heater center tap on the power tube cathode resistor.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Antique Electronics/Amplified Parts are having 10% sale this month. I don't think you can get better prices on a 290AX, sockets, tubes, chassis, etc... from anyone else. Just buy it all from them, and get free shipping.

I'm a huge fan of AES.

11. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Good question. I guess my more accurate answer would be that I like F&T mostly because they get praise for quality, they are reasonably priced and I have used them with no issues.

jtcnj and James Knox like this.
  12. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

Ditto on the AES recommendation. I also like the"Projects" pages where you can put together a nice BOM for all of your future builds.

James Knox likes this.
  13. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

The AES 10% sale paid $38 of my $47 shipping fee. We'll see what happens at our 'free trade' border....fingers crossed.

James Knox and Whatizitman like this.
  14. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Hmm could you kindly elaborate on this? After reading this and looking at the AES site I see some unbranded transformers that appear to be ClassicTone. New to me! Is there some easy way to get a list of what they carry, what other information do you have?

James Knox likes this.
  15. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, though since it looks like AES now carry very few, it may be of historic interest.

They used to carry *lots* of MC transformers, and you're right, they're the same as CT except in labeling. They look like this, with part numbers like P-TF... instead of 40-18... and of course their EIA code, 166. (AES still carry this one I guess).

upload_2020-7-1_14-59-23.jpeg

The tricky part back then was figuring out what MC number corresponded to which CT number. AES used to link all the schematics, which after enough comparison told you this was exactly like the CT 40-18016, their DR-style PT.

MC P-TF 41316_wiring.png

Small commercial builders often got (?get) discounts at AES, so these were popular in some boutique amps. As I say, it now looks like AES carry very few, so finding them might be a low-yield search for the ones with these graphics. They may be on the way out? You could ask MC where / if they're selling these 'wholesale' MC ones now. Their website certainly points heavily to the CT brand...

16. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I have to say, if you already have a 5f1 at least go to a 5f2a and save yourself SO much stress and hand cramps. A 5f2 is almost as big as a 5e3 chassis, lots of room to work. And you get a tone knob.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Nickfl likes this.
  17. James Knox

Just want to try something different than Sprague. Read good things about them. Only 1 of my first 3 builds had them, so yeah, I don’t really have a good reason other than it’s fun to try new stuff.

I saw his 5F1 blanks. I messaged him to see if he has drilled ones.

Roger that! I already learned from my first to ditch the combo Vol/on/off in favor of a Carling spst and a 250k pot, moving the fuse block to the back side of the chassis.

18. James Knox

Really considered that hard, but I already have a nice lacquered tweed cab with a 12” and 5f1 cut out. After I build this one, probably do the 5F2a.

19. James Knox

Good stuff! I def want to do an OT with option for 8ohm this time. I have a Weber 12A125A I want to hear all Champed up!

20. James Knox

Yep. That’s exactly what I’m thinking!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.