Sourcing hardware issues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LloydP, Apr 3, 2020.

1. LloydP

LloydP TDPRI Member

So I've been looking high and low, and I'm hoping you all might be able to help.

I've been wanting to make a stripped down version of one of my guitars and I'm wanting to use a half 3 barrel bridge, but with the brass pivoting saddles I think Wilkinson came up with.

I can buy a bridge with the 3 brass saddles and the pivoting saddles individually, but I'd rather not throw away the saddles from the bridge, and just buy it as a complete unit. Or even just the bridge plate itself, and I can easily find the saddles I'm looking for.

The closest thing I've seen is a rainbow chrome version, and I really have zero interest in that

Any clue where to start? Screenshot_20200403-023643.png Screenshot_20200403-023740.png Screenshot_20200403-024815.png
    And any place that's not trying to pay their mortgage selling 3 pieces a month would also be great!

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Hey fellow Calgarian! Sorry but I'm a little confused on your request. Are you looking for a Wilkinson half bridge with compensated saddles? If so there are plenty out there. I've used them and they are great.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  3. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

old wrench and LloydP like this.
  4. LloydP

LloydP TDPRI Member

milocj likes this.
  5. LloydP

LloydP TDPRI Member

Specifically, a half bridge with the pivoting saddles. I can find it with compensated saddles , but I'm using a multiscale setup, and the pivoting saddles would work better. I just don't want to buy a full setup, then throw away the old saddles, buying new ones.

I just kind of hate that kind of waste

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

7. LloydP

LloydP TDPRI Member

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Asian plates don't make good candidates to cut down. Not sure precisely why but they do rust.

But for some reason the North American, AV52 style Fender sourced plates can be cut in half and they mightily resist corrosion. I've got some I did ten years ago and you just wipe down the guitar when you finish playing and they're fine.

Is there some specific objective in mind, with these saddles with all the loose parts? IMO there's a reason Gotoh wanted nothing else to do with this design (Gotoh's new design, ripping off Marc Rutters, is way better). And, those Wilkinson/Sung Il beveled saddles (and accompanying bridge plates) are IMO the lowest quality that's out there.

LloydP likes this.
  9. LloydP

LloydP TDPRI Member

I'm building a multiscale that uses standard hardware, but I still need more adjustment than what you can get with the typical 3 barrel design. Hence why I want to use the pivoting ones I posted images of. I could just use a 6 saddle hardtail, but I also want the aesthetic, not to mention the tone I've gotten using those saddles before.

10. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

Why not use a set of six individual string barrel saddles? I believe wilkinson made a bridge like that.

11. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Meister

LloydP likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The six individual barrels tend to rattle, from experience.

If you have the saddles, just buy a $5 half bridge off ebay and adjust any holes to fit metric to imperial measurement needs. You're getting rid of some saddles but you're only spending $5 on the whole unit.

LloydP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.