1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sourcing Custom Tele Bridge Work??

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by telequacktastic, Jul 18, 2012.

1. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to find someone who does custom bridge work. What I'm going for is to add a Seymour Duncan lil' 59 bridge pickup to the space right in front of the standard single coil tele bridge pickup and wire it on a blend knob. But I'm wanting to put it in the bridge plate to keep it close to the standard tele pickup.

I've asked Dale from Glendale and Marc Rutters but they are both busy. Where can I turn? I'd want it chromed or preferably nickel plated. Any ideas??

2. telequacktastic

Has anyone used Callaham or Armadillo Guitars in Austin for custom work? Anyone have a milling machine? I could do a drawing with dimensions, I just need it nickel plated...

3. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

Nickel plating isn't hard, but prepping to do the plate is. If the surface isn't pristine, it will definitely show.

4. telequacktastic

Thanks for your input LP. I might end up just taking some measurements, draw up a sketch and take it to a local machine shop that has done some work for me in the past.

5. telequacktastic

I was just turned down again. Is this just a bad idea?? Honesty people, it's just the internet.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The reason you are being turned down is that it takes a lot of time/labor to setup all the various machines to make one off pieces like this. Some one has to draw out the design, then either program it into a machine or physically guide the machine to make the cuts. Plus the machines need to be reset and prepped from normal duties, cleaned, operated, and then reset to their original purpose. Then the piece has to be polished ( polishing metal is a royal PITA), and sent out for plating. Realistically, this small bridge part might have 1000$ worth of labor and 5$ worth of material. A machinist knows that is completely unrealistic and uneconomical. Prototype design is usually restricted to something that will be produced in quantity once the bugs and procedures are worked out.

In my opinion, you would be much better off buying a bridge, cutting out the middle part, and trimming it to fit directely in front of your existing bridge. Better yet, just make a pickguard that fits flush against the bridge, and mounting the SD to the pickguard.

7. telequacktastic

Colt,
    Thank you so much, that really does make more sense. Much appreciated sir!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.