Sourcing 10W SEOT’s?

Thumper

TDPRI Member
I need to find three of them. The ClassicTone I’ve used in the past are gone and the Allen amplification source is no longer available. Hammond no gots!

How’s a guy supposed to build a 10W big bottle Champ these days?
I have built BB SE amps with Heyboer, and Mercury trannys. Matts stuff is good too.
Besides price, the biggest determinant is who has the correct transformer for the Power tube load and voltages you are going to be using. MM is great sounding, most transparent and widest sound stage,but cubic dollars, Heyboer is pretty nice sounding and reasonable, if you can find them.
The PP transformer I got from Matt was good value for the money, haven’t tried any SE transformers from him. Best advise I can give you, is do “ALL“ the design work And recheck your work, before you spend any money.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
If you need yet another, possibly cheap option; the Champ 12 (SE 6l6) uses the Vibro-King reverb transformer, Fender part number #024038.
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that one! I remember using that one for a 6L6 Champ build a couple years ago. I remember it sounded fine…

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
I have built BB SE amps with Heyboer, and Mercury trannys. Matts stuff is good too.
Besides price, the biggest determinant is who has the correct transformer for the Power tube load and voltages you are going to be using. MM is great sounding, most transparent and widest sound stage,but cubic dollars, Heyboer is pretty nice sounding and reasonable, if you can find them.
The PP transformer I got from Matt was good value for the money, haven’t tried any SE transformers from him. Best advise I can give you, is do “ALL“ the design work And recheck your work, before you spend any money.
Good advice brother

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Yeah, I kinda forgot about that one! I remember using that one for a 6L6 Champ build a couple years ago. I remember it sounded fine…
I have the Fender 024038 OT in my hotrodded 1981 Champ, it works great with 6L6 or 6V6.
Note that this transformer is 8Ω secondary, which is fine for me with a hogged out baffle for a 10" 8Ω Legend 1058.
It's my daily noodling amp.

I don't think the OT is still available through Fender.
The Hammond 1750B is listed as "equivalent".

Last edited:

wallybob

TDPRI Member
I second (or third, or fourth...) Musical Power Supplies SE output transformers - I built two big bottle tweed Princetons and they are ass kickers!

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
One option is to use two parallel Hammond 125CSE. At least if light weight and price is considered. One H125CSE good for 60mA bias so two together are 120mA and KT80... even KT120 could be used. Connecting their inputs and outputs opposite phases would perhaps cancel some electromagnetic stray field? Also primary input could be set very low connecting secondary coils series.

Hammond is great manufacturer because they provide good datasheets. 125_SE series OTs are used even in low power HiFi builds

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
10 watts, musical power supply

Attachments

• 4A0F6270-C69F-48B6-A70F-8715677390D2.jpeg
    4A0F6270-C69F-48B6-A70F-8715677390D2.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 04041DAF-3620-49DE-99C3-EFC60B22997A.jpeg
    04041DAF-3620-49DE-99C3-EFC60B22997A.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 4

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yeah, that’s the one. It seems like the last one I got from Matt did not have bell covers. Did you have to request them?
From what I've seen, some do, some don't, some may even change over time. One thing for sure -- you can ask Matt -- he's super helpful.