Sourcing 10W SEOT’s?

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
I need to find three of them. The ClassicTone I’ve used in the past are gone and the Allen amplification source is no longer available. Hammond no gots!

How’s a guy supposed to build a 10W big bottle Champ these days?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

chas.wahl

Tele-Holic
Possibly a stupid question: can't you just use a PP OT and ignore the primary CT? Can't get the primary and secondary impedances you need?

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
Try Edcor. They seem to make a bunch of SEOT's.

I’ve been looking at those I just kind of don’t wanna wait for them to be built. Seems like nice stuff though!
Musical Power Supplies sells a 10-12 watt SE OT that works well. I have purchased from them several times now and have been happy with every transaction.
Yes I’ve used Matt stuff before as well and liked it. I’ve used the OT8? 5W. Check to eBay store and there weren’t any 10WOTd

Ahhh… this is probably the way I’ll go - thank you for that!
I used the Hammond 125DSE on my Gibsonette build. $60 and in stock at Amplified Parts.
Nice… I’ve never seen that one! I use Hammond power transformers exclusively. I’m gonna look into that a little…

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Possibly a stupid question: can't you just use a PP OT and ignore the primary CT? Can't get the primary and secondary impedances you need?
PP OT can be used in all typical SE A-class guitar amp circuits installing two power tubes and a "self split phase inverter" circuit is used. It is clever when other power tube is cathode driven and its phase turn 180 decrees. This make amp lighter and should be also cheaper when PP OTs are cheaper and more availability. One more power tube and socket/PP OT should compensate more expensive SE OT?

This SSPI amp is in my constantly lengthening "to do list". Perhaps James has time to do it first? :)

There are two Antekink toroid SE OTs which cost factor is good if really high power SE amp is needed.

I have had MennoVanDerVeen VDV-2512-SEE HiFi toroid OT in SEPlex amp which is the amp I have used more than any other amp I have built.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I need to find three of them. The ClassicTone I’ve used in the past are gone and the Allen amplification source is no longer available. Hammond no gots!

How’s a guy supposed to build a 10W big bottle Champ these days?
Call Mercury Magnetics
10050 N. Remmet Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
  • (818) 998-7791

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
Call Mercury Magnetics
10050 N. Remmet Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
  • (818) 998-7791
Yes, I looked into them and they are double the price of any of the others. That’s not a premium I’m willing to pay. I know they’re good transformers but most of my customers are casual musicians and home players.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Glad you're getting this sorted, James. What a lot of good advice.

Two notes for others on the quest for iron. Matt at MPS was very quick to build me an OT he lists that wasn’t in stock on eBay. And in reports here, several folks noted Edcor was able to significantly lessen the actual vs. estimated wait.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
Glad you're getting this sorted, James. What a lot of good advice.

Two notes for others on the quest for iron. Matt at MPS was very quick to build me an OT he lists that wasn’t in stock on eBay. And in reports here, several folks noted Edcor was able to significantly lessen the actual vs. estimated wait.
Excellent – good to know!

dlaroe

Tele-Meister
If you need yet another, possibly cheap option; the Champ 12 (SE 6l6) uses the Vibro-King reverb transformer, Fender part number #024038.