1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sources for Tiltback headstock Bolt On neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Rufus, May 17, 2019.

1. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I prefer USA Custom Guitars bodies and necks, but unfortunately they don't make necks with Gibson style tiltback headstocks.

I'm putting together a lefthanded Explorer project. I have a mahogany body from KnE Guitars, waiting for a bolt on neck. Looking for something close to an Explorer headstock shape in a tiltback configuration.

Warmoth makes very good bolt on necks with tiltback headstocks (the Nomad and Arcade are the most likely choices for me), in either 25.5" or conversion 24.75" scale...I was just wondering if there were any other sources to consider?
    Thanks.

2. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

I got a tilt-back head on a Musikraft neck (Tele bolt-on with Gibson scale length) a few years ago. I can't remember if it was a standard head type among their offerings at the time, but I think it must have been, because among the "additional notes" I said that I wanted the angle to be 14 rather than 17 degrees. They don't seem to have a tilt-back head option that's apparent now; but it's worth shooting them an email or calling. Mine has a nice scarf joint tucked under the (pau ferro) fretboard.

Another tip: The 2nd quotation from your signature is incorrect, unless it's just a parody. What Elmore Leonard wrote in LaBrava was "I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted." It helps to understand it if one is from Detroit, like he was. Cars, yeah, yeah, whatever; but where it really was at was boats.

Stiles likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.
    I had never heard Elmore Leonard's quote before...just variations on the theme of spending $$ on whatever you enjoy.
    Coincidentally, Elmore Leonard books/stories were the source of a couple of my favorite movies. They were purchased by Hollywood and modified as screenplays, of course.

"Hombre", starring Paul Newman from 1966 is credited to Leonard. And I understand Quentin Tarantino's "Jackie Brown" was based on Leonard's Rum Punch.

5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You could add a piece of mahogany to the side to get the extra part of the banana you need. It would be a matter of jointing the edge perfectly flat on both parts and gluing it on with a couple clamps and yellow wood glue. An Allparts dealer would probably sell that for less than what you see there as list price too.

7. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Last edited: May 28, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.