1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Source of rosewood for classic Vibe and VM series squiers.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Dec 26, 2015.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have been on a cheap guitar kick for a few years now. I played CV 60's strat and then I ended up with the CV VB Tele then The VM Jaguar and Jazzmaster.

The rosewood fret board on the Strat, Jag, and Jazz look just as my custom shop stuff.
    It's not dyed either, I checked.

Does anyone know the source of the rosewood ?

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a VM Squier Jaguar Bass. Bought it last year specifically for the neck; rest of the guitar pretty much had to be rebuilt completely. Board does indeed look and feel great.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

My Indonesian G&L's have had great RW and Ebony boards. Wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same source

4. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Maybe they have an ability to buy Brazilian.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Owned a VM Jag and it had a dyed black board. A CV60s Strat I also passed on had a beautiful RW board. The VM JM I own now is pretty good too. The CVC round lam board I have is the palest in color, and is nicely finished. Seems like it's hit or miss. The MIC seems better sourced, maybe, and the MII more variable? It's only a sample of 4 though...

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

the CVC FSR I bought has very dark and lovely rosewood. WAY better than most of the MIM stuff which is typically too red and streaky for my tastes. Same with my MIJ 2015 Tele which is a lovely rich dark chestnut

I'd have thought Fender has to play it by the rules (and quite right too) no matter where it is manufacturing, but I do suspect Squier can access a source that USA and MIM cannot.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Fender does have to play by the rules (as does Gibson) on Rosewood they import. Completely different story when they import the entire guitar.

Fender does not manufacture any Squiers, they are all built by sub contractors.
    I am speculating that Fender is far more concerned about the price they buy these guitars at than the source of the wood.

8. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

I heard they got a good deal on some from Gibson. There, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly!

Fender only manufactures guitars in Corona (MIA) and Ensenada (MIM). All other Fenders and Squiers are made FOR Fender by manufacturers like Dyna or Fujigen (MIJ), Cort (MIK) or who knows (India, Indonesia, China, etc.)?

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I believe Cort has moved most of it's manufacturing to Indonesia. The Classic Vibe Series are made in China by a company called GREE.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

The rosewood fretboards on my CVC tele and CV60s strat are as nice as any of the US AVRI/AMSE guitars I own. The RW boards on my VM Jag and JM are pretty nice too, but I believe they are dyed.

12. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

A tree

13. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have the same models. None are dyed.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Wait, how much is a brazilian?

Seriously, Brazilian rosewood is so sought after and expensive that its use is always plugged, and plugged heavily as a selling feature. If a rosewood is Brazilian, you would know it because you'd be told it, over and over.

15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, GREE is "Grand Rewards Education & Entertainment". They make Farida, Alvarez, Fender and quite a few more. They produce 13,000 guitars a month and about 120 different models a year in their factory in Guang Dong.

16. joy-z

joy-z TDPRI Member

so the serial number on my CV Strat starts with CG . . . does that stand for China Grand Reward?

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Both of the ones I have are dyed, I think I even still get black stuff on my fingers after playing the jag, even though I've changed the strings.

18. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

You should try and get a refund, I have yet to see any of these models with a dyed fretboard.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The VM Jag I had was dyed, no doubt. The VMJM was fine, so it seems like it might be an extra step taken for light-colored wood at MII factories. Seems fine to me at the price point, but I'd prefer natural light color rosewood/pau over dye any day. YMMV

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

^ I agree, still a nice neck though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.