Source for Waterslide Decal Paper/Questions About Printing/Application

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by El Tele Lobo, Aug 24, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Hey Guys,

I'm in the midst of a re-fin project for a guitar that will get a new Allparts neck before I'm through and I want to do my own waterslide decal. Also would like to do one for my build from a couple years ago. I have a logo designed already and saved in my computer.

1. Where can I get waterslide decal paper?
    2. Can I print this on an HP Officejet 4620?
    3. Can I apply this on top of/under Tru-Oil?
    4. I imagine the undercoat has to be dry, but still a bit tacky for successful placement and later top coating without slipping around on the headstock. Anyone care to share some wisdom/insight on this?

The last question is somewhat rhetorical. Someone here recently posted about doing that very thing...though I would practice on scrap first, of course.

Thanks, guys!

2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. chegel01

chegel01 TDPRI Member

The best I ever used was from Rothko n Frost. They are based in England but their products are very good.

https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/decals-c1

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

magic smoke and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

If you apply it on tru-oil, I would put a few coats (3-4) of tru-oil on before applying the decal. I made the mistake of putting a decal on bare wood and had to sand the tru-oil down because there was a big difference in color :lol:

5. 440mhz

440mhz TDPRI Member

I've been interested in water slide decals as well, just came across their site hears what they say about oil finish in true oil.
    Features:

• Our decals are precision made restoration quality decals printed onto the finest quality fresh waterslide paper.
    • We use completely opaque and permanent inks, including truly metallic gold and silver, so unlike decals printed on inkjet or laser printers the colour of our decals is not affected by the colour of the surface underneath - our decals can be used on ANY colour headstock.
    • The paper is ultra thin (allowing for a superior edgeless finish - like the originals), the unprinted areas remain totally transparent, and it is compatible with all spray lacquer types including nitrocellulose.
    • Our decals are not compatible with any brush on finishes including Tru-oil.
    • Like all waterslide decals ours can only be applied to sealed, non-porous, non-oily surfaces (for example lacquered wood).
    • They are designed and produced by us in our studio, printed freshly to order.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.