1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Source for Swamp Ash

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RatBug, Aug 28, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

I like to use a router sled because it will take out any warp, then I run it thru the planer.

if you go to a commercial lumberyard and sort thru the pile... you never know what you'll find and I have to admit - I LOVE DOING THAT! I bought some 8/4 flamed maple at $3 bd/ft... because it was in the reg maple pile. I got 8/4 x 14" x 11' mahog for $3/bd ft too.

that said, I probably spend 1-2hrs to mill down a single blank and you really have to ask yourself - what is my time worth per hour? Pretty sure I lose money milling - even with the great deals I find... but I enjoy myself... and I think the blank I get is better. After all I get to pick thru as much lumber as I have energy to pick thru (damn 8/4 11' sticks are heavy), find the best grain/weight. Now that I think about it.. factor in my chiropractic bill and $100 is a bargain!

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep. For two pc bodies, I joint and plane normally. For one piece, I face joint as much of the blank as will fit on my 8" jointer, letting the rest hang over. Then I mount the jointed section on an 8" x 3/4" baltic ply sled. Once the top is nice, flip it, ditch the sled, and finish it up.

mistermikev likes this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

right on. just another way to get to the church on time I 'spose.

moosie likes this.
  4. sondich

sondich TDPRI Member

Ron - Thanks again for the shout out last year. I think we sent some Ash to a few TDPRI members.

However, Swamp Ash availability got ugly from Fall/Winter. We're back on track now, though!

tigger likes this.
  5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Two alternatives for nice light Tele blanks are Catalpa and Spanish Cedar.
    Catalpa looks almost identical to Swam Ash with just a little more golden color to it - very similar grain and pore patterns. 3 pound bodies are common with Catalpa.
    Spanish Cedar (actually a Mahogany, I think, but smells a little "cedary") looks more like pale mahogany, still open grain but like mahogany, not ash. Can make a very light body. This is Spanish Cedar:
    IMG_8421.JPG
    This is a particularly nice piece of Catalpa that will go about 3 pounds when turned into a Tele:
    IMG_1093.JPG
    Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    tigger, Jim_in_PA and RatBug like this.
  6. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Cool! Do you also do special orders? E.g. if I wanted particularly light blank but was willing to wait?

sondich likes this.
  7. sondich

sondich TDPRI Member

I'd be happy to take a look. message me when you get a chance. Thanks! Steve

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I noticed that when you google "volume of a telecaster body" you get
    349.62 inches and the source is a tdpri thread, but if you scroll down the same thread it is revealed that the guy that listed 349.62'' messed up his math and later in the thread several people assure all that in fact the volume of a tele body is

I just went through the whole board-foot to tele body thing while looking at expensive swamp ash body blanks for sale on the internet with lb/board-foot information provided.

Google's got it wrong.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Chip likes this.
  9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

"Google's got it wrong" :)

It's not like this is the first time ;)

fenderchamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.