InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Morning,

A while back while chasing a faint but somewhat annoying buzz in my '75 Princeton, I noticed my amp is missing what appears to be a washer of some type between the faceplate and the pilot lamp, causing the faceplate to vibrate on the right side. Unfortunately, the '68 Custom amps don't seem to use this method of securing the faceplate.

I cropped a photo from fenderguru.com to show the part in question. This has to be something folks have run into before, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask - does anyone either have a source for the original-type washer, or a recommendation for a reasonable facsimile from the hardware store? I've looked around on amprepairparts but can't quite seem to find anything that looks like the right part.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 10.01.24 AM.png

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So, there are two types of SF faceplates it seems. One has a bigger hole that surrounds the pilot light socket. The other one the socket holds the faceplate to the chassis.
Are you thinking all these ones with the big hole should have had that washer? I never thought about it.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
So, there are two types of SF faceplates it seems. One has a bigger hole that surrounds the pilot light socket. The other one the socket holds the faceplate to the chassis.
Are you thinking all these ones with the big hole should have had that washer? I never thought about it.
Seems like it? I never really thought about it either until I noticed its absence was the source of the faceplate rattle. It must've switched sometime in the middle of the silverface run, because after looking at a few Reverb listings, it looks like ones from the earlier part of the 70s don't have the giant washer, while ones from '74 or so on do.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Got a response from amprepairparts:

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.45.35 AM.png

Double-sided tape it is. Seems pretty wild that with all the countless silverface amps produced, someone hasn't stumbled upon a cache of these, or started milling them.

Ten Over

Tele-Afflicted
I bought some thin stainless steel washers some time ago from a site that was selling hardware for race cars and off-road. The outside diameter is a little larger than the Fender washer, but it really looks stock from ten feet or more away. I'll see if I can post a picture after lunch.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I bought some thin stainless steel washers some time ago from a site that was selling hardware for race cars and off-road. The outside diameter is a little larger than the Fender washer, but it really looks stock from ten feet or more away. I'll see if I can post a picture after lunch.
That'd be great.

The other thing I was wondering about is whether someone who has access to a 3d printer could make a repro. It'd be plastic obviously, but painted silver I'm sure it'd be unnoticeable.