1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Source for guitar body CAD files?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by 0utputXfmr, Apr 22, 2021.

1. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

Hi folks,

I have a few ideas for a few guitar designs, and would like to see what I can flesh-out. The problem is, I'm absolutely atrocious at drawing anything on paper with my hands-- but I know how to modify things in CAD.

I'm looking for CAD (.dwg) files for the Moderne, Flying V, Explorer, Firebird, and late-60's Olympic\Wilshire\Crestwood patterns. Due to a certain company filing lawsuits at everyone who makes 6-string'd instruments, I won't be using those patterns verbatim for my designs-- just as starting points. If you guys know of some good resources, please feel free to point me to them.

Alternatively, I can draw the outlines in CAD if I can find that patent drawings with correct linear and radius measurements... but I'm hoping to save a little time. ;)

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I don't have any resources for you, but if you can find what you like as a .skp (SketchUp) or .rvt (Revit) file, I can convert them to .dwg for you and send you the files. Happy to do it. Just let me know.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

0utputXfmr likes this.
  4. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr Tele-Meister

I'm an electrical designer, so I work with Revit all the time. I don't have sketchup, though, so if I run into that kind of file, I'll hit you up! Much appreciated!

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  5. Psinatra

Psinatra TDPRI Member

I would love to have .DWG drawings for stuff. It's really helpful when designing pickguards

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.