1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Source for Callaham compensated saddle height screws?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ignatius, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I just put some Callaham enhanced compensated saddles on my Tele but the tops of the height adjustment screws protrude through the top and are a little uncomfortable when my palm hits them. I realize that one possible remedy is a neck shim but I'd rather not go that route.

I emailed Callaham and received a reply that he does have shorter ones but there's a $25 minimum order, so that's out. Unfortunate.

Anyone know a source where I can find shorter screws that'll fit these saddles?

Oh, and I don't have access to a bench grinder or dremel tool ;).

2. Doth

Doth Tele-Afflicted

Ignatius,

I recently purchased a Telecaster Hardware Kit from Callaham, and as you know, the hardware is top notch. Did you call and talk to a live person? They are all super nice and I am sure something can be worked out, maybe a little extra for shipping and handling. If not, maybe you need some other items as well, such as their entire screw kit or their awesome knobs.

I have always had great success when I have called and explained my situation in person.

Don

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lower than stock on Callahams?

Wow, that is low.

You can buy shorter 4-40 screws from BoltDepot.com of McMasterCarr.com. Trouble is, you only need a few and shipping will cost nearly the same as when I order scores of them. There is a possibility your local hardware (not Home Depot or Lowe's) will have shorty 4-40 screws. Depends on local custom.

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Seems like I remember Ace Hardware having then in the 4/40 size ?

5. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all - I'll check out those sources.

(Good to hear from ya Tony!)

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Your local Ace Hardware, the larger stores, carry a wide array of nuts and bolts. Just take one of yours, find the Helpful Hardware man... and for a couple of bux you're done....

Ron Kirn

7. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Are they 4/40 UNC on Mexican and US made,as opposed to M3 x 0.5 for Squier guitars?

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I like this idea because I love hardware stores anyway :D. All that cool stuff, half of which I don't even know what it does. But it's cool to look at.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some do, but many no longer stock them. Supposedly demand is diminished. They do usually have 6-32s but 4-40s are harder to find lately.

Traveling through unfamiliar places, I've been known the stop the car at old timey looking ma and pa hardware stores where I once would have stopped only for the smell of smoked pork shoulder. ;)

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I have the opposite problem...

I'm looking for some 1/2" 4-40 set screws, but the longest I've seen avaialble from guitar supply sources is 3/8". To date, impossible to find here in Canada...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.