Source for 5/16” tuner bushings

dylanw

TDPRI Member
I have a Squier Telecaster neck, and I ordered some “Vintage Style Tuners” from Stratosphere for it. However, the tuner holes are 5/16”, and won’t take the bushings for the tuners. I’ve looked around and I can’t find anyone who sells 5/16 bushings. Can anyone point me toward a source?

Thanks.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hmmm, the tuner shafts are probably .245 right? 1/4" . 5/16 tuner bushings would only have a 1/32" wall. I guess maybe they make them though.
These get you within about ten thousanths diameter . That's only printing paper thickness all around. I suppose you could use a round file to get that much wood out of the holes:

dylanw

TDPRI Member
Hmmm, the tuner shafts are probably .245 right? 1/4" . 5/16 tuner bushings would only have a 1/32" wall. I guess maybe they make them though.
These get you within about ten thousanths diameter . That's only printing paper thickness all around. I suppose you could use a round file to get that much wood out of the holes:
I can probably make those work. I’ve got an email off to Stratosphere to see what they say. If that doesn’t produce anything, I may go with these.

Thanks.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
It seems like every manufacturer has a different OD on their press in bushings but shafts are pretty standardized a 1/4. I broke down and bough the (expensive) reamers for each of the different brands of tuners that have press in bushings, but often on retrofits I'll just use the old bushing with the new tuner. That solves that problem of different foot prints on the head stock which can leave rings in the lacquer.

Now if we could just get all the little screws to be in the same place...........

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
To begin with, aren't Squier holes metric and not SAE? For some reason, 10mm conversion bushings rings a bell with one of my Squier necks.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
5/16" = 7.9375mm.
The post diameter of the new tuners will be 6mm or 1/4" (6.35mm).
If 6mm there are quite a few 8mm OD bushing sets available on Ebay.
8mm should be a press fit into a 5/16" hole.

Tuner_Bushings_6mm_8mm_OD.jpg