1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Source Audio True Spring Reverb

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Paul in Colorado, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bought a B-stock w/ tap switch for a deal and it’s hella good. A Flint ‘killer’, Topanga killer, Oceans 11 killer in my book. It’s the deep edits that make it worth it, including the 3 trem types. I thought I’d be annoyed with all the hidden deep features, using an app and all that, but I’m not curmudgeon yet, so no problem. Set it up to how I like then move on. One can flip the depth and speed controls to the ‘outside’ knobs. This makes more sense for many, as dwell and tone are more set ‘n forget for most situations anyways. Use a label maker for these functions if it’s not clear.

As for drip, it won’t completely replace a tube tank, but we already know that. But it does offer more switchable variations than any single-tank outboard. There are up to six presets, foot switch between two settings before you hit the toggle for the rest. Oceans 11 can’t even store a preset for all it’s choices. Drip is authentic and much more intense than Topanga ever was. Keeping the Topanga though, for a mini board :)

2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I “think” I prefer the sound of the Topanga, but the versatility and tremolo in the SA TS makes it a winner.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless it’s a standalone Reverb unit - they all sound fake !

I’ve owned Flints and the Tech 21 RVB Boost (seriously underrated) and the Fender pedal and have an Oceans 11 on the way ($100 used).

My opinion on “pedal verb” is - Does it sound something like reverb ? Ok - fine.

Hell, I just got done using a $40 TRex Tone Bug Reverb for 2 years. Oyyyy...

I’m sure the Oceans 11 will be fine.

$220-something for a “really great-sounding” simulation ? Save up a little more and get a RI Fender 6G15 used.

4. tele_pathic

Save up a little more? Bejebus but are you delusional! A Fender reverb tank is nearly $2,000. The next closest tank is the Surfy Bear at $400-500, which is double AND not a genuine tube driven reverb. AND you’re talking about using a $40 dollar pedal but turning your nose to clearly superior pedal? AND we’re talking spring reverb, so the drip is important. The Ocean’s 11 does NOT drip. The SA TS and the Topanga, esp the Topanga, have all the drip you need, baby.

5. Mike Eskimo

A vintage fender reverb unit and a surfy bear fet unit are it right ?

Your only options ?

That’s a little reductive .

Many 6G15 clones/many Fender REISSUE reverb units on the used market.

Some which are priced the same as the surfy bear

Drip, drip - and drip.

If you play a lot of surf tunes I don’t see why you’d want anything else.

I’ll leave now though. When I had my Flints I much preferred the 70’s plate reverb which was fantastic.

6. tele_pathic

I’m not saying those are the only two choices, but I am saying this: I did a deep dive on spring reverbs this year. And believe me, there are no cheaper alternatives than pedal SPRING reverb. Even with the reissue Fender tanks, 1) they are difficult to find, AND 2) they are expensive AF.

And if you’re gonna cop out with a “well I prefer plate reverb” statement, then why are you even discussing this on this thread for SPRING reverb? You want various kinds of reverb, then get a TC EL HOF reverb/end of discussion. BUT the SA TS is a SPRING reverb!!!! It’s NOT plate, never will be plate, ain’t trying to mimic plate, which leads me to believe you just trollin’ this chit!

7. Mike Eskimo

Hey - I’ll troll with the best of ‘em and I’ll decide on “drip/no drip” when my oceans 11 comes this week.

Sounds drippy to me here...o_O

8. BorderRadio

hmm.. Flint is $300 dollars and can’t get a drippy outboard reverb sound. Topanga goes for 200 new or so, and sounds like a 'real' reverb to me--but barely drips. That pedal also doesn’t have optical, harmonic or bias trem. Oceans 11? Great drip, no presets and the fizzy digital artifacts killed the deal. Even had a few FRV-1s and found those harsh.

It's all about the drip for me, and the TS is the best emulator thus far...

9. Mike Eskimo

Attached Files:

10. BorderRadio

Dunno why this matters, spring drip guys should know the trade offs between pedal vs surfy bear vs original tube models. All of it is ‘fake’ reverb ;)

[Why is this not coming up in the feed?]

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I want to say the last surfy bear I did went together for well under $100 ... pcb, pan, metal toolbox ... that said, it isn't everyone's brand of vodka.
    If you can find a digital pedal that sits nicely on your board and fakes it well enough for you, go for it.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Isnt spring reverb also fake reverb? [emoji848]

Lies&Distortion and AndreDanican like this.
  13. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It’s the original fake reverb!

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

fwiw, when I refer to "fakes it well enough for you" I'm referring to digital pedals that attempt to emulate spring reverb (especially those that emulate drip or spring crash)

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'm a "reverb always on," tremolo on sometimes guy. I have a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb and a Mojohand Fx Bayou. With one switch, how do you leave the reverb on but turn the tremolo on and off? Does this run off a One Spot/daisy chain and/or battery?

16. tele_pathic

The SA TS can be powered by a power supply. To turn on the reverb and the tremolo separately, you need the little button footswitch accessory. With that little switch, you can turn on/off the reverb on the pedal, and turn on/off the tremolo with the button, separately.

17. BorderRadio

There’s a bug with the trem turning on independent of reverb. The extra switch will turn on and off the trem with the reverb engaged. Hitting the extra switch while the main reverb switch is off will turn the reverb and trem on instantly, but it’s apparently supposed to only turn the trem on.

18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I've had the Boss FRV-1, the Boss RV-6, the Digitech Hardwire Supernatural, the Oceans 11, and I built a Surfy Bear FET verb tank. All of those are gone. The True Spring is what I do now and I'm very happy with it. The tweaking options are great and there's no harsh trail stuff like the in the FRV-1 or Oceans. I know it's not a tank but I really can't be bothered to care about that when it sounds this good.

telestratosonic and 4pickupguy like this.
  19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Not big fan of the drippy, surf type of reverbs and I even think this reverb sounds good! I’ve been wanting a Vertigo for awhile too.. Ticks the stereo box too...

Edit: J Rockett released one of these tremverb pedals a couple of weeks ago but it lacks many of the features of the SATS. Its mono, has one verb sound and no harmonic trem... Seems companies want in on the Flint niche.. I understand why, but I wish they werent trying to pigeon hole these tremverbs into the spaghetti western/surf/Quinton Tarantino soundtrack thing. The Flint at least has a 70's plate and hall to offer..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.