1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sounded good until I started messing with it ...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by HiFiFreq, Sep 8, 2020.

1. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

I re-built a circuit into an old chassis with what I had hanging around . Sounded pretty good until I tried adding a presence control and that's why I am posting . One of the parts I had hanging around was an old Hoffman Stout turret board . It was probably my first or second build and it never really sounded good . More than likely it was my lack of experience in building that was the reason for the poor sound quality. Either way I cleaned up the board and repopulated it with some mods to the layout . Most of the mods are in the pre-amp section that I took from a Matchless design with a 12ax7 parallel triode input . I'll get to that in a little bit . The problem I'm having is in the phase inverter section . In my crude drawings you will see a .01 capacitor connected to pin 7 of the 12ax7 PI . In the "Stout" PI it is in parallel with a 470k resister and then in series with a 47k resister to ground . In the "Matchless" PI the .01 cap is connected at pin 7 and then to ground . Trying to figure out why . I have the PI built like the Stout is built . In my attempt to come up with a presence control I changed it to look like the Matchless PI . As I stated earlier It sounded good until I started messing with it ... Before it was dead quiet and with the change in the .01 cap it became noisy , hissy , not quiet . The Stout PI seems to be different than all of the other LTP types in respect to this .01 cap . Can anyone school me on this ?

Attached Files:

• pi.jpeg
      pi.jpeg
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
  2. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

Here is a schematic of what I have that works . Matchless like front end and tone stack into the Stout PI and on to the 6v6 output section . The amp is very quiet (no hum no hiss) and very clean even cranked all the way up . It breaks up when you dig in . I like it so far but I feel that it is not quite as loud as it should be .

Attached Files:

3. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

Here are a few before and after pics of the re-build .

Attached Files:

Nickfl likes this.
  4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

5. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

Thanks Lowerleftcoast . I was just looking around Rob's site as I thought I might find some answers there. I had a look at the Aiken and Valve Wizard sites last night as well . I'll have a read now and see what I can make of it .

6. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

I'm back with an update . I have a feeling that I had the circuit wired incorrectly . After some research and reading I have become a little more familiar with the LTP circuit but I wouldn't say I understand it . Got lost in a very helpful thread where I thought two members might strangle each other but they finally worked it out . A thread I'll be revisiting . Regardless I was able to implement the circuit so that it worked and also made some changes over all to the circuit . I did away with the "Matchless" parallel triode circuit and changed the input circuit to resemble a more traditional Fender type using only one of the triodes in the first 12ax7 leaving one triode unused . Had a little space on the Stout board so I added a trem circuit like the one in a 6g3 circuit . This is my second attempt at a trem circuit . My first attempt was with a Silvertone 1471 inspired build using a pentode tube and I liked the results . While I was at it I changed the bias circuit of the output tubes from a fixed? biased to a cathode? biased circuit like the 6g3, I may have those terms confused hence the question marks . In order to get my voltages closer to the schematics I was using I had to make some changes to the power rail which ended up looking more like the 6g3 circuit. The more I messed with it the closer it came to resembling the Fender 6g3 schematic . I have a few updated pics and a few more questions . Pics first ...

Attached Files:

7. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

BTW I nixed the presence control in favor of a negative feedback circuit . Also I implemented a master volume control . I still have to wire up a second input jack and I have either the speed or intensity control wired backwards that I have to change . This trem circuit seems to be suffering from the thumping effect that I have read a little about . Had to walk away from this one for a while as I was getting frustrated . Thing is while this project was on hold I built another amp into an old Hammond AO29 chassis based on the 6g3 circuit but stripped way down . No trem , no tone control , volume and master volume controls only , Parallel triode input and a pot added to the power tube negative bias circuit so I can make adjustments in plate voltage and current flow simultaneously . I'm really impressed with the adjustable bias circuit and how much it affects tone and volume . My god this thing is loud !

8. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

I would like to post a schematic and voltages . I would also like to stop posting my usual "LoFi" pics and drawings . I've read about some free software for creating schematics . I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction to find and use one of these programs . This site is absolutely fantastic ! So much knowledge and so many generous people ! I offer my sincere thanks to all of you for this bounty of information !

9. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

10. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

Thanks for that Tom ! I downloaded the program and have half of the schematic drawn . Fairly easy to use as is . Awesome !

11. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

I spoke too soon . It's not that easy ... I have the schematic drawn out with all of the components . I have not yet assigned values to any of them as of yet . I need to print a copy to take to my bench in order to reverse engineer what I have completed . Once I've recorded values I can transfer that information to the schematic . I can't get the print out enlarged big enough to see it when printing directly from DIYLC . I converted it to a PDF and that helped a little . What do you do with a file once finished ? I need a larger print out and some guidance for uploading it to this post when I'm finished .

King Fan likes this.
  12. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

???

Attached Files:

13. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you want to upload a DIYLC file here, use Save As PNG. Then use the 'upload a file' button, or just drag the png into this 'compose' box. If, rarely, a big file is too big as PNG, use any image app to convert to JPG.

14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

how old is that Stout board?

I remember several years ago I etched a board based on the Stout design. In the end, I never built the project, but I seem to recall a problem:

There was a fault in the original published circuit for the Stout, that remained uncorrected for a long time. I think I might have read about it in the Hoffman forum, a year or two after I etched the board, when I was considering re-starting the project.

I never built the Stout, and I can't comment any further about the design, nor can I recall what the error was on the schematic and/or layout that I used. But there was something.

15. HiFiFreq

HiFiFreq TDPRI Member

I have a revised schematic . Saved as a PNG . Complete with voltages etc...
    By the way the "stout board" is close to ten years old I think .

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.