SoundCloud as a vehicle for songwriters to get their songs heard?

Discussion in 'The Writers' Block' started by telestratosonic, Sep 29, 2020.

1. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's recent thread here on The Writers' Block: "Where to submit country songs?"

I've been wondering about this myself. I've been reading about SoundClick. I was thinking about opening an account and putting up a few of my better tunes. Then I could contact prospective artists and direct them to my SoundClick account. Hopefully, this would have positive results.

I checked out the wix.com website with a view to creating my own website and putting my songs on it. My head started to hurt and my eyes glazed over as I tried to wrap my pea-sized brain around how to go about it. Wix also has people who can create a website but the quoted price was $500 USD and up. I decided against going that route. Then, someone here recently mentioned that he had a SoundClick account and that piqued my curiosity.

Any thoughts on this, anyone?
    Jim

2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Mornin'.....

I've had my songs on Soundclick (link below) for over a decade.
    I have a few of the same ones on Soundcloud because the Band In A Box website links their song writers to that site.
    I have no bad things to say about either.

I don't actively promote my originals because I don't think my songs would interest others to perform or ever have any mass appeal anyway.
    Should someone stumble into my music page and give a listen and comment (hopefully favorably :)), that works for me.

I'm not convinced that any one site is better than the other considering your personal goal of pitching to others.
    What I do perceive is that those that do promote their songs actively they are on many sites including Spotify/Reverbnation.
    Trying to get others to notice your material and perform it may require a more involved strategy....like registering with BMI/ASCAP also.
    That's just a guess.

Your goal will be a daunting one so good luck with your endeavors.

Hope that helps...mas cafe para mi.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

As @chulaivet1966 says, getting your stuff noticed requires a coordinated approach - and a lot of shamelessly cheeky self promotion.

So: various platforms, social media, etc.

Let me point out at this stage that I am not practising what I preach. I am lousy at selling myself.

It might have to change, though. I've been putting stuff up on Bandcamp for a few years, and it's got about the response that it deserves - some enthusiasm, but no beatlemania, and only a couple of dozen sales.

But . . . I'm so happy with the new stuff I'm recording for my next album that I think I will owe it to the material to push it harder.

But then that's what I said about the last two albums . . .

4. chulaivet1966

Yep....and I'm just not the type to employ those promotional protocols....plus, I've never been one to draw lots of attention to myself.
    Hence....I'll remain a song writing nobody, where I'm comfortable. :)

Ha...no "beatlemania" for me either.

Good luck with your new album.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A lot of people on Soundcloud ... a lot
    Chance of getting your songs out there? Like winning the lottery, I guess.

I have had some songs on Soundcloud .... but that was because it seemed the only way I could post songs on TDPRI.
    I tend to privatise them a while afterwards .... the lack of enthusiasm from the public may deflate your ego.

A bit like entering songwriting competitions, which can also do wonders to bring your ego back to earth.

6. chulaivet1966

G'day mate....

Some truths there....that's for damn sure.

telestratosonic ....I forgot to mention youtube as another medium to consider.
    I finally mustered up the courage to upload a couple of my originals to Youtube a few months ago.
    I still haven't been discovered yet. :)

Carry on....

telestratosonic, catdaddy and kbold like this.
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about the chances of getting noticed, but of the three platforms that I've used to post original material, soundclick, soundcloud and bandcamp, I much prefer bandcamp.

A few years ago one of my songs reached number one on the soundclick pop/rock chart. It stayed there for about a week and generated exactly zero interest/inquiries or contacts.

Soundcloud is great for embedding music on this forum, but not much else in my experience.

Bandcamp has the best tools for designing your own website. Has the highest quality music files for download, and is the only one where I've made money selling my music; without doing any promotion. Seems like there's a lot of legit listener traffic on that site.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, my last album is old news - came out 8 months ago on Bandcamp, but it still gets a few dozen plays every month. There does seem to be traffic there.

And you can design your own album covers and pretend to be a superstar, like Donny Osmond or something!!

9. telestratosonic

Good morning! Thanks for the replies. They're really informative.

hemingway likes this.
  10. telestratosonic

Hi chulaivet. Thanks for the info. I'm a member of SOCAN (socan.com), a performing rights org here in Canada and I'm registered with ASCAP. I have three of my songs uploaded to their website for the purpose of protecting my authorship.

11. telestratosonic

I hadn't considered Bandcamp but will definitely check it out. Thanks.

12. telestratosonic

Cool! Thanks! Yes, just like Donny, eh? I'm lovin' it already, lol!

hemingway likes this.
  13. telestratosonic

I've toyed with the idea of entering songwriting competitions but never quite got there. Food for thought for sure.

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got stuff posted at both SoundClick and SoundCloud. I even paid for Deluxe SoundCloud so I could post everything I've ever done. Well let me tell you <sarcasm> that the accolades and interview requests and recording contracts have just been rolling in since then </sarcasm>.

More than anything it's a handy way for me to post things I'm working on (or have finished) here, and you get to the point that if ONE person likes it, well that's just gonna have to do. I have no interest in promoting myself to get income from music. From what I hear, even people who are real actual full time pro musicians are having a tough time making money that way.

15. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Like Donny Osmond or something :lol:

Grant, you are already a superstar to me with your artwork. I am in awe of your talent as demonstrated by the paintings which you post on this forum from time to time. They're incredible!! Now that I've heard your music on your bandcamp page I'm truly humbled. Looking forward to hearing your new album, and seeing some of your original artwork as the centerpiece of your album cover.

hemingway and telestratosonic like this.
  16. chulaivet1966

I hear you....once we get a listen and/or comment we can say....."Hey....I have a fan (singular, unfortunately) base. :)

Back to it....

17. chulaivet1966

I probably wasn't much help.

Obviously, you have done some preliminary homework.
    I haven't joined any of the BMI/ASCAP sites but considering your goal you'll have to immerse yourself in your promotional mindset.
    I couldn't do it and it would never occur to me that someone would actually think one of my songs deserves some money.....unfathomable.

EDIT:
    in thinking about it....the feedback or lack thereof with your submissions on the sites you note could be a real dose of reality.
    If one gets no responses or success one must re-evaluate they're writing style and conform to what is more mainstream with their own song writing efforts....that's something else I could not do. :)

Back to it amigos....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Dave Hicks and telestratosonic like this.
  18. telestratosonic

I'm a member of Country Music Alberta (countrymusicalberta.com). I became a member with a view to getting my songs heard by performing members with the hope that someone might record them. However, most members, and there are tons of them here in Alberta, are singer-songwriters who are interested only in performing their own songs.

I have no interest in performing. I was in a couple of bands in the mid-sixties as a teenager living at home. Trying to make a living at it was not for me. I've been retired for five years. I know a few people who are in bands and if not for their day jobs, they'd be homeless right now.

Digital Larry likes this.
  19. telestratosonic

Actually, it was your mention of SoundClick in a post last week or so that alerted me to the site and got me thinking about possible cheap vehicles for getting my songs out there. Whowuddathunkit! I read every post in the RIP and this forum.

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  20. telestratosonic

I've been following him as well; his artwork and his music and I'm in awe as well.

hemingway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.