Sound of the Shoals - tweed amp builder

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by caspersvapors, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I came across this amp builder while looking for 5e3s on reverb and ebay. His prices look very competitive and he offers 5e3s in a few different configurations. Has anybody here heard of this builder or has purchased from him? I cant find any user reviews on his stuff searching the guitar common forums

https://www.soundoftheshoals.com/

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

There's enough guys out there building tweed kits and selling on Reverb, that I wouldn't buy from someone that doesn't post gut shots. It's not like there's something secret going on in a 60 year old circuit with publicly available design documentation that you need to hide to stay competitive.

Tonetele, jsnwhite619 and SPUDCASTER like this.
  3. caspersvapors

Very good points, it does seem like he is a new builder who is just getting up and running, but I cant say I am confident enough to buy at this point though

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Not one picture of the chassis of ANY amp showing the components he uses, his lead dress etc?

In the last 6 months we've seen several reverb or eBay listings for hand wired tweeds that looked like they were wired by inebriated chimpanzees, and many crappy, no-name parts. Yeah, their prices look great. But what are they - REALLY?

Technically a PCB amp with board mounted tube sockets (yuck!) that has wires (not ribbon cables) to the pots and jacks) can be described as "hand wired".

It's possible he's buying kits in bulk at a discount and has NO electronics knowledge - like many first-time builders, an "amp assembler" that has no idea what he's doing.

The email is a personal address, not a company. The phone number is a cell phone. I can find no record of a business with that name, so he may be a "gray market" business with no business license and no liability insurance. In other words, an illegal operation.

Send him your money, no amp shows up, what do you do? There's no business to go after.

Actually get an amp, it burns up and your garage burns down. The cause is incorrect wiring in the amp combined with connections that arc. Every real business has insurance to handle those things. No liability insurance and you're S.O.L.

I wouldn't touch one even at a sale price without clear build quality and parts information plus evidence of an actual business - plus insurance. Don't laugh - Fender requires every parts supplier to carry a specific minimum "per occurrence" liability insurance. Weber didn't have a high enough policy in the past and that's why no Fender amp had Weber speakers for years - even on a custom shop/custom order basis.

I'd put that guy on "ignore" he'll probably be history in 12-18 months.

5. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

How about we send him an email and ask a few specific questions before we build the crosses and start gathering up rocks to throw? Could be a good builder but have a bad web designer.

PaceAmps likes this.
  6. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

I was burned by a guy who still advertises his Bluesbuster amps on the internet under the Woodcross(a Christian no less) name. Took him 8 months to build me a head, kept claiming medical problems. I received it, only to have it blow up about 6 months later. No customer service and a broken, no name amp. Don’t do it.

7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It's also interesting how the photos are just stock pictures with his logo put over where a logo should be using software. Such as this one:

https://www.soundoftheshoals.com/store/p10/MS_Tweed-TwinLP_212_Combo_Amplifier.html

Now, this is just my personal opinion, but I have zero idea how he can get the prices that low. When I do a Tweed Deluxe using all the "top shelf" stuff my parts cost gets up to $600ish alone...How is getting a head for $529 and actually making any dollars just seems crazy to me.

pimkat likes this.
  8. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

The photos aren't even right on several of them.

9. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You can't even rely on customer reviews these days, either. I bought a camping first aid kit from Amazon a couple of months ago, and there was a coupon inside good for $5 if you left them a five star review.

10. PaceAmps

PaceAmps TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Hello everyone,
    I understand the skepticism, and there are some valid points here.
    The website began undergoing some changes yesterday which hopefully will clear up some confusion.
    Yes, I have an economy model 5e3 that contains some generic unbranded parts. I offer this amp for people that would love to experience a hand built, hand wired amp (no pcbs here), but like me, have never been able to afford one.
    I use quality parts in every other amp I build. If someone reads the description of my amps on the homepage they are clearly listed.
    I don’t claim to be the best amp builder in the business, and my prices reflect that, although I build a very good amp. I have lurked this forum for years and gained a lot of valuable knowledge while doing it.
    Oh, and gut shots forthcoming.
    Now a little about me, I’m prematurely retired due to disability from leukemia in 2016. I retired from law enforcement in 2012, then became disabled after working for AT&T for 5 years.
    I got my first tube amp in 1972, and have been a tube amp junkie ever since.
    I am now trying to turn what’s been a passionate hobby for many years, into a way to supplement my lousy disability pay.
    Thank you for your time in reading this, and I hope we can all have some positive interaction on this forum.
    Paul Pace
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    djh22, RyCo1983, FenderLover and 10 others like this.
  11. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Most welcome - I wish you best of luck.

I am indeed interested in your amps; more details are needed, especially regarding the fully built- top of the line models

12. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

How about "We".. how about the original poster who laid this out here and disappeared! I'm like Silverface.. lets see some actual pictures..I mean, I have an idea of what the amps look like but I wouldn't even think about it until I saw a some type of design..I've learned along time ago.."that if it's to good to be true..it usually is"..If you feel froggy go ahead on it and email for questions and answers...

13. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Like most posters on forums, they like to throw the hand grenades and leave just to do it. Far too many people will post a horrible review or experience without first going to the source for clarification. It sounds like the builder is making changes with the site and hopefully gets people what they want. If not, you have a way to contact him.

14. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

My earlier answer isn't directed specifically at the builder, who posted here in reply. It's a blanket statement referring to any number of builders/sellers online. There's quite a few out there that post no pics, and several that do that have some really questionable, even unsafe, build practices.

To anyone buying, feel free to ask for opinions on listings you find as the OP did here. To anyone selling, if you do build a good amp post good pics of your product. It'll give you an advantage over those who don't.

caspersvapors and corliss1 like this.
  15. caspersvapors

I didnt tell anybody to do anything. All I asked is if anybody knew anything else about the builder. And nobody did. What you proceed to do with this information in this thread is up to you.

LuthRavin likes this.
  16. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

OK.

caspersvapors likes this.
  17. PaceAmps

PaceAmps TDPRI Member Vendor Member

E0A27D17-4264-48A4-8756-8A60174B978C.jpeg 9D58DCEA-DA77-49EF-ADD6-13F7158AC6C5.jpeg DC27DEE1-DFE5-4468-A2DA-CDC5038A47C4.jpeg 96D2BE7C-A640-4A77-8944-26FC9E8D3FB3.jpeg F9487161-1C0F-448F-BBB1-29F66908000D.jpeg ED1DEF04-8DC7-4B4F-874B-4A9E96880701.jpeg 0226799A-8A9B-4243-B8B6-8FC3F0A3B2B0.jpeg 790178DC-E952-43E2-A409-BBB4C67B1491.jpeg 83394A81-DA43-41FF-BEBB-44F113F8BC9B.jpeg 888A1E3C-E69C-4422-BFAD-78D518A1C137.jpeg E0A27D17-4264-48A4-8756-8A60174B978C.jpeg 9D58DCEA-DA77-49EF-ADD6-13F7158AC6C5.jpeg DC27DEE1-DFE5-4468-A2DA-CDC5038A47C4.jpeg 96D2BE7C-A640-4A77-8944-26FC9E8D3FB3.jpeg F9487161-1C0F-448F-BBB1-29F66908000D.jpeg This 5e3 chassis has been built, modded, and rebuilt a few times, and just put back to stock. It contains a mixture of leftover and extra parts that have been used a few times as well, including the ground bus. Of course everything would be new and the ground buss would be straight if I was doing this for someone else. :)

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Greetings - glad you chimed in! I've got the following amp on loan right now, and enjoying it. Its a 6L6 format. Its got charm, very loud for its size and modest weight, and very quiet for a tube. Just spent an hour cranking it thru a Weber Mass Lite. Pics:
    20180905_193357_resized.jpg 20180905_193521_resized.jpg 20180905_193509_resized.jpg

And here's a representative frontal, since my frontal pic was too blurry:

[​IMG]

From what I can tell, these are the lowest priced domestic 5e3's out there. This one will go to my next practice to try out with a full band. Can't wait!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    baiff and PaceAmps like this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh, he posts in North Alabama Music Buy Sell Trade on Facebook. We are both members. I have not bought anything off of their. The Shoals refers to Muscle Shoals, Alabama and if you know much about Rock and Roll history you know music was created there by quite a few. I really don’t know anything else about his business. I am not at the point to want a custom amp. I live in Huntsville, AL.

20. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is that a wire nut in picture #3 (and several others)? :rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol::rolleyes::lol:

clintj and corliss1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.