1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sound man keeps telling us we are to bottom heavy I think he ether has a tin ear or is NUTS!!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Ascension, Jan 13, 2019.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Please come and do sound at my church :)

Ascension likes this.
  2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I've run sound and I've had to train a few people to do so.
    One cool thing is the technology is getting better:
    custom channel presets, and saving mixes.
    Plus, I know there are a few sound boards where you can use an iPad and mix at various points in the room.
    Challenges: we are dealing with personalities and opinions / biases.
    That's why its so important to have the lead pastor involved. If the sound man is your only mixer, ( and maybe he a long time member) then he might have some pull.
    But if the mix is just lousy, then its time to make a change. Some of the best mixers I've seen and heard, are women and youth>
    @Ascension .. hope / pray it all works out!

3. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

1st thing in this morning as soon as I fire up YOUR TO LOUD so--.
    This was me in today's mix.

4. Ragnar

Ragnar TDPRI Member

I was thinking of this thread this weekend... Our band finished practice early and were sitting in the pews waiting for the pre-service to start. I look over toward the sound board and I see the church's technology guy (who also does sound sometimes), just walk over and start puling down the levels. He does this often. He did not even hear us practice, nor was he the sound guy for that service. I cannot imagine the nerve it takes.

We have had this problem with him in the past when he runs sound. He pulled me down once so far, I actually gave him the stink eye. He came over and said "What?" I looked at him and said "I cannot hear my self in the mix. At all. I can't play to the best of my ability when I have no idea where I need to be in the mix." He pointed down at my pedal board and said "I don't understand the need for all of this." I run DI, using a Tech 21 Sans Amp Blonde pedal for amp sim. I looked at him, having enough, and said "If you don't understand this, should you be running sound?" He walked off and turned me up.

Ascension likes this.
  5. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Got Todd back out tonight and recorded couple songs.
    I have to woodshed a little on my rhythm playing on percussive stuff with a Floyd tell you that!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  6. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I can hear you loud and MUDDY~

I think you need a clearer or more transparent overdrive setting. Or a louder amp with more presence! Hopefully you aren't using chorus or delay or anything? I'm always fighting the same problem at church: My favorite tone simply doesn't work in a church setting at low volumes.

7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Running the little Jet City on the clean side and using an old TS 9 at pretty low gain levels.
    Hate running a pedal for dirt but the high gain side on that head is just to over the top for this setting.
    May go to one of my other rigs if I can't work this out.
    Guitar tone is a problem we are working on. So much of the time has been spent so far on drums and then basic eq settings before getting into the effects for vocals ect. Running a Berringer digital so have a learning curve and it's a process. Have 5 different amps 3 different pedal boards several mics and 3 cabs so will take this one step at a time now that we are making progress. Will get a better guitar tone that's for sure!!
    Thanks for the ear man. Hear the clarity issue as well but though it was thin and buzzy kinda harsh and undefined but not muddy. Will take another listen on my good phones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.