Sound like the CD vs sound like me

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by 65 Champ Amp, Jul 2, 2019.

1. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Fifty some odd years ago I had piano lessons taught by a very strict Catholic nun.
    I was in military boarding school and she would walk around with a wooden ruler and smack your
    knuckles if you didn't play the part as it was written.

I think I've had enough of making it sound like the original. Thanks.

Habitual riffs become part of your style. Your musical vocabulary.

Uncle Butch likes this.
  2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I attempt to play the lead lines when asked, and to the best of my ability. Most of them are major or minor pentatonic phrases. My challenge: I'm an older player, so I start breaking into a few ABB / Clapton riffs that I know. LOL
    With Abelton, you can buy the song ( including the lead guitar lines, being played on the exact guitar) Which takes the joy out of it for me. I turn down those opportunities.
    Lately Ive been playing at a large church ( 400+ ) where the WL ( well known Bethel producer) allows me to "improvise" and add my own flavor to the song. This guy loves classic rock/ Americana / Indie. And he likes it when I bring my pedal steel, to play on songs that normally don't have a pedal steel.
    I am learning its more about vibe and groove / feel, rather than sounding just like the record ( which I hate)

3. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I have friends who play in tribute bands. Lynnard Skynnard (did I mis-spell that right?). Creedence. Buddy Holly. The Scorpions. Another band that isn't really a tribute, but plays classic rock hits from the 60s and 70s almost note for note. Etc. I admire people, including my friends, who can do that.

But I'd poke my ears out if I had to play something note for note. And I wouldn't be good at it anyway. Not my skill set.

My skill (if you can call it that) is to listen to what's going on around me and play or sing something that makes it sound better. I'm killer on harmonica, but not much call for harp in church these days. I'm not bad on guitar or bass, and can play mandolin if that will help out and the song is in D or G. Or if I have a capo.

:)

So I'll never have a gig at a big church that wants it note for note, except maybe as a background vocalist.

And I'm okay with that.

65 Champ Amp and studio like this.
  4. broadcaster

broadcaster Tele-Afflicted

It's been along time since I heard a guitar solo in modern worship music. Ditto with piano solos.

Jim W likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yes, you misspelled it correctly.

6. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

"Lynnard Skynnard"????

That would be almost blasphemous treason in my house. You wouldn't get any dessert. EVAR!!! Now go listen to freebird 3x. And one of them has to be the Live version. (and Slash or Zakk Wylde can't be sitting in. Just sayin')

Just for clarity:

LYNYRD SKYNYRD. :mad:

PastorJay, preactor and davidwhitson like this.
  7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I didn't think there was any other version beyond the live version. Yep, I assumed it was a spontaneous masterpiece that just poured out during a concert stop.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    davidwhitson and GoldieLocks like this.
  8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

In playing lead like the CD....who would know and who would care if you did not? Kinda close...but never exactly!

9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Like others here, I play in a small ensemble in a medium sized room, worshipping with 80-120 people. We have very few songs that call for a dominant lead line (Lion and the Lamb and Reckless Love come to mind) and I can cover those without a problem but it's more like a melody line than an expressive lead. Otherwise, I stick to the background, supporting the tone and feel of the music. They few times I slip in a little extra riff in the chorus, people notice and someone mentions it to me after worship. But I'm not in the band to draw attention to myself, I want their hearts immersed in the lyrics and the power of our Lord. My goal is to support that. It's about worship, there are other venues for performance.

dougstrum likes this.
  10. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

A bit less than a year ago, I joined a second worship band as lead guitar hack. And sometime singer.
    This one is unaffiliated with any particular church or denomination. And this is providing me with exposure to a lot of music that is new to me. And with all this new stuff, I just want/need the charts and to hear the melody. Listening to the cd kind of pollutes my creativity, if that makes sense. And the inspiration and creativity (which is not mine to claim) is freed by not having to worry about trying to sound like somebody else.

Sitting here typing in church, trying to stop sweating after a seven song worship. I guess I should pay attention!

I hope those of you blessed to use your musical gifts in worship today felt the anointing and were able to let ‘er rip.

PastorJay and black_doug like this.
  11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

Playing like the iconic recording is not for the congregation. Because except for that brother who suggested the song the congregation probably doesn't know the song until we introduce it to them. Playing like the recording is to cut the arranging and rehearsal time needed by the team to fit a working part into the whole.

Some praise teams are more comfortable being able to improvise off the basic melodies and groove after hearing a sample of a song than others. In the best band that I played in the leader would just send a sample of a singer and cowboy chords and expect us to work out our own parts. As it was we still had a drummer who wanted the structure of a recording to follow as a chart.

dougstrum likes this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Well, I’m usually not good enough to copy the solos, or I don’t have the time to work it all out. So, they all sound like me....

And here I thought noodling WAS improvisation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mRtINY likes this.
  13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

It is, isn't it?

dougstrum likes this.
  14. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Play like you x1000000

You, not them.

Make your sound work on those songs....JMHO

65 Champ Amp and Butch Snyder like this.
  15. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

When our worship pastor would give us a new song or arrangement, sometimes, they were good and we wanted to be close to the original. Sometimes, they wouldn't be and at first, we would just want to get through it. In both cases, as we would learn the songs, we would find our own voice, tone, and style as musicians and a band. I have always played to the song and stayed respectful; but I always was allowed to be "me" and play the part(s) as I saw fit; as long as it enhanced the song and not take away from its focus.

I believe that a God-given talent should be maximized and not diminished by being a copy of someone else's contribution to the music/worship.

65 Champ Amp and GoldieLocks like this.
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

In our relatively small church setting, with a team that varies week to week, it comes out different all the time. We have a good guitar player who is almost always there, and we build the rest of the arrangement around his guitar parts. I have filled that role at different times, but these days I'm more of a utility player. Last week I played bass, except on one song that needed acoustic guitar. Young bass player is available this week, so I'm probably bringing my Strat. Unless WL asks me to play acoustic or mandolin instead. Guess I need to check with her.

mRtINY and Jakeboy like this.
  17. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I'm the worship leader and I never know how many singers or musicians will show up in my smallish church. So I play acoustic and learn the songs like a solo acoustic player would. I can't tell you how many times it was me and one other singer. Then last sunday the stage was full, keyboard, bass guitar, violin, singers and all. I scratch my head but that's how it works.

18. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Its frustrating when you don't have a couple of singers/players you can count on....

19. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

That right. I don't let it stop me from praising God tho'.

Jhengsman and mRtINY like this.
  20. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I try to cop the more recognizable lines. Other than that I try to play like the original...if the original was done by Keith Richards or Pete Townsend.

mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.