Sound issues when jamming with my buddy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by hylo, Jan 12, 2011.

1. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

Yesterday a friend and me went to rehease in a place in Oslo where there's a lot of rooms with different amps in all sizes. I did know of one room with a Fender Twin Reverb and a JCM800. The JCM was hooked up to a 2x12" cabinet and the Twin was as far as I know, original.

I made my pick in two seconds, and that was the Twin Reverb. No hassle 'bout the choice, my buddy wanted the JCM. I hooked up my gear, which consisted of Linhof T-style->Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer->amp. His was LP->Wahwah->amp

As we tuned our guitars, got your amps dialed in, I noticed that my buddy wanted a reasonably medium to high gain sound. I were going for that overdriven sound that happens when you push the tubes on the Twin. And I managed that. But as we were jamming along, he pushed his amp even further and I went into ZZ Top land with ease thanks to the tubescreamer. But I couldn't keep up with the gainy hard rock sound my buddy had.

So I told him to turn down the gain a bit, so we could have some fun and jam about some. I got an answer telling me that my sound was dull and too classic. As he said that, I politely asked him one more time, and he said that his high gain sound was much cooler and made a bigger impression when he wanted to do some shredding on the higher frets. I then turned the Twin's volume up to 7 or so, did the intro on "I'll Take You Back" by Brad Paisley and turned off the amp, packed down my gear and went out the door.

I went my favorite pub with my guitarcase in my hand (not a dumb thing to do, actually. I did get some telephone numbers from a couple of girls :D) and sat down to have a beer before going home. And my buddy walked in.

He still said my tone was ****, but he said he wanted to learn how to play like that. I told him to listen to some good old records and get back to me when he was ready to apologize.

I haven't heard anything yet and doubt I ever will. I take my sound and how I express myself on the guitar seriously and I've found a sound I like, so when he says my sound's pure crap, I get mad.

But to the big question - is my sound **** all over when I like the 'old-school' sound?

I don't mind people playing with monster sound, but I won't do it. :p

2. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Why do you consider him a friend if he critisizes you openly? IMO...you need new friends.

3. Bluessoldier

Bluessoldier Tele-Meister

Forget him. All the great ones know that too much gain is not very pleasing and you don't actually need tons of gain to sound very heavy.

This might sound stereotypical, but I noticed high-gain shredder-dudes tend to be rude. Not only that, they use the f word like 4 times in a sentence when they're talking about gear. :rolleyes:

BTW, as stupid as this sounds, mountain sounds 3000x heavier to me than any modern hi-gain metal band.

4. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Would it be too personal to ask the guitar experience of both you and you buddy.

Why I ask is, when I was sarting out on guitar (late 70's) I had a Marshall and a LP and Angus Young was my hero. As I aged and descoverd country (Albert Lee and James Burton and Merle) and blues (mainly SRV and Jeff Healy), my gear and approach to the guitar changed, forever.

I think he was wrong saying your tone sucked but maybe he just isn't ready to give up his fuzzy guitar tone. Some never do.

Maybe you need to find someone who likes what you do and he should do the same. Or next time you guys jam, forget the pedals and plug him into the Twin, he might see the light. But in the end, he is allowed to like what he likes (and there are good dirty guitar tones, don't get me wrong) but he doesn't need to be rude about it.

Good luck.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow. You guys must have been damned loud.

6. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Good point, turning down some usually helps stop the competion thing.

7. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

The building is solely there to provide rehearsal rooms for musicians. You can be as loud as you want to. :p

But as far as competing on being loudest, that's not my thing, I tend to adjust my volume after the other guys volume. I find that more compelling rather than racing volumes up to the roof.

Bear in mind that I turned the Twin up for maybe 30 seconds when he got rude. I didn't want to blow my hearing away.

8. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Maybe he was saying "Boy, your sound is much more appealing and subtle than mine" but you just couldn't hear him because your ears were ringing?

Seriously, though, it sounds like he just wanted to get into a dick-waving contest, and as others have suggested, is just in love with that high-gain sound and thinks everything else sucks. Find someone else to jam with.

9. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

No answer on your problem but I did like 3 Chords response....

I just wanted to say, how sweet it would be to live somewhere I could go practice and have choices of great world class amps just sitting there for me to play on!! Is this a school or some sort of rehersal space that anyone in the area can rent or use? Love the idea though..... much nicer than trying out classic amps in the Guitar Center full of people.

10. hylo

hylo Tele-Meister

It felt that way, yeah. Find myself some guys who want to play my favorite music.

This is an old factory renovated and set up with 22 rehearsal-room packed with 2 amps per room, drumset per room, PA-system and bassamp per room.

The place is great. You go and order a room, either on the website or book one when you get there.

The amps avalible are:
    Fender Twin Reverb
    VOX AC30 CC2
    Marshall JVM 205H
    And Marshall 1936 or 1960 cabs

Link to the webpage in english

11. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

So, what a great idea, a "Red House" for jamming :D

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

We have a place like that near Boston. Two locations, actually. it's a little pricey, but you get a good room with good gear for an hourly rate. Rooms include drumkit, amps, PA, and you can often get some kind of electronic keyboard as well. My only problem is the price and the fact that, with an eight-person band, you inevitably wind up waiting around for someone to show up (usually me) which means you're wasting money.

13. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds to me like your friend is a little immature and egotistical, at least you can now safely knock him off your list of people to work with in future.

Unfortunately, playing guitar is not the sole domain of the fair-minded and creative...idiots are also attracted to it.

I hope you find a more like-minded, sensible jamming partner soon, that rehearsal place sounds cool!

14. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Signature worthy right there! :D

15. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Which is probably good news for many of us. :rolleyes:

16. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:...speak for yourself!

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Anybody raise your hand if you've ever been asked to "turn that down".

And by the way, I'd say your friends Les Paul > wah > JCM800 sound is pretty old school.

18. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

+1

19. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Your only mistake was taking the opinion of a totally different style player too seriously.

He plays what he plays and likes a certain sound. You do the same.

The only common ground between you is, you both play guitar. That's where it ends.

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Wasn't that the typical kid-in-the-candy-store symtome?

great room with classic amps and knobs that go beyond 11 and when you've tasted all the goodness ...you feel sick.

maybe a little moderation would have helped, like trying to nail at least one song with a backing track.
    or imagine a singer trying to get through the wailing guitars wall.

nice rooms, btw. we have similar rental rooms around here too.
    the last time I had to cope with a Marshall stack with a 1000 knobs :lol:
    http://www.noisy-musicworld.com/rooms/proberaum-berlin.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.