Sound differance between Duncan SM-1 and Antiquity II Mini Humbucker ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by cbnutt, May 23, 2021.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Between these two , what sound differances would you hear , thinking of putting one of these in neck position on a partscaster , Mini humbuckers . The Antiquity II Mini Humbucker shows a ring around it on the website , would that not be used on a tele ? Thanks .

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I have an SM-1 in this guitar you see to the left. It replaced a Dimarzio mini and what I believe is a 60's Epiphone mini. The SM-1 is a bit brighter like a Firebird should be and is therefore more Tele-appropriate than a normal minibucker, which I assume the Antiquity emulates. As for the ring, entirely up to you. I didn't.

SnidelyWhiplash and cbnutt like this.
  3. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I'm contemplating using an SD antiquity firebird in the bridge of a Squier Custom II with P90 sized pickguard and body routs. I play at home at fairly low volumes, and like the antiquity having little or no wax potting. I have an unwaxed SD HB for the neck position of another tele and like that.

cbnutt likes this.
  4. wabashslim

Warmoth will cut you a pickguard for a mini, or lots of other things.

5. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

If I have a pickguard that already takes a P90, will a minihumbucker in a mounting ring fit inside that without any other accomadions?

6. wabashslim

Sure, if its one like this...

[​IMG]

7. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

So probably the Sm-1 will be a little brighter , and the Antiquity II closer to a full size ? i am guessing the Antiquity II will still sound good in the neck ?

8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

The SM-1 is called a mini but appears to be a Firebird pickup with a full cover, not a Mini-Humbucker with adjustable pole pieces. But that's not the most important difference: There is a significant internal design difference between a mini and a Firebird... the Firebird is NOT just a mini with a full cover. The result is that the Firebird is much brighter than a mini as @wabashslim highlights.

Unfortunately they don't have a cutaway diagram so I can't tell you which design they chose internally. They mix the terms in a way that demonstrates the usual public confusion over the two (Odd for SD, they're usually on the ball).

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/vintage-mini-humbucker

"The [SM-1] Vintage Mini Humbucker bridge pickup delivers the classic Firebird tone ..."

The Antiquity II Mini Humbucker appears to actually be true to the Mini design. The description also seems to confirm that. I'd expect it to be a little warmer, a bit thicker, and more like an slightly tamed LP when you push it hard.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/antiquity-ii-mini-humbucker

cbnutt likes this.
  9. wabashslim

It'll sound great in the neck. So will the SM-1, just weighed a bit towards the higher side.

cbnutt likes this.
  10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I have the original Gibson Firebird V pickups on my mod'ed Switch guitar and I love their sound. If you find a set, get them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JL_LI, cbnutt and carpenter like this.
  11. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

There is another style of minibucker ring that fits in P-90 holes besides the LP Deluxe style shown above. The have mounting screw holes in an upper left and lower right corner and the pickup mounts like a regular humbucker to the ring. You don’t need the bracket in the bottom of the cavity.

12. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I have/had an antiquity ii mini humbucker in a 60s style telecaster. I also had it in an ash 50s style tele too. I longed out better in the 50s ash guitar. imo it must have 500k pots and a resistor to the bridge single coil to see 250k. As much as I liked it I just was never in love with the response from the bass strings. They always sound mushy. So it's not in a guitar at this point. From what I've heard about the SD SM-1n I would give the nod to that as it sounds a bit more scooped. The antiquity ii mini has more mids.

13. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

A firebird neck PU will sound good with 250K pots. Minis like 500K pots. At least that’s my experience. I have guitars with both.

Caveat: my PUs are Lollars & Klein’s, not Duncan.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

They are the same pickup internally, but the Antiquity has a weaker magnet, a non-logo cover, and the fake cosmetic aging.

The SM-1 can be ordered with a smooth cover, which makes it a very good reproduction of a classic Firebird pickup.

The Ant. is a bit softer sounding, and cheesier looking IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.