"Soulshine"...great song that folks love to hear, or...?

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never heard any bar band cover it.

I suppose it could be a "sad tired dirge vehicle for pentatonic wankery" just like Mustang Sally or Sweet Home Chicago if the Sad Dad Blooze Band performed it.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Is The Allman Brothers song "Soulshine" a great song that people love to hear and dance to, or is it a sad tired dirge vehicle for pentatonic wankery?

Asking for a friend...
Howdy 2HBStrat....
Ha...:)....the pentatonic trap.

Love the AB but I'm not a fan of the slow blues....this one fits in that category to me.
I play Stormy Monday with a couple of buddies....their version of that one puts me to sleep.

For a slow blues tune this one would be as good as any number of other choices.
I wouldn't submit it but if I had to play I would just make it 3-4 minutes max.

Are you submitting it to you band?

Carry on....

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Personally, it bores me, as unless you are the Allmans, Warren Haynes, or a REALLY good R&B singer, it's not going to sound good, just guitar-wanker BS, which I kind of left behind years ago.

Focused now more on blues and R&B songs I really enjoy can.play/sing within the trio sound of our band.
( no organ in my trio, and you really need some sustained chords to to this kind of blues w/o it just sounding like repetitive 'guitar hero' - gets old quick- or I'm just old

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Howdy 2HBStrat....
Ha...:)....the pentatonic trap.

Love the AB but I'm not a fan of the slow blues....this one fits in that category to me....

Are you submitting it to you band?...
Not me, but one of the other band members is. I personally think it's a boring song in addition to the blues being over at the local bar level

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Not me, but one of the other band members is. I personally think it's a boring song in addition to the blues being over at the local bar level
That's how I perceive slow blues overall.
Even though the musicianship may be stellar it just doesn't keep my attention.

It depends on the venue....if the band is playing to a blues demographic then that's what they need to play.

Back to it....

Last edited:

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Is The Allman Brothers song "Soulshine" a great song that people love to hear and dance to, or is it a sad tired dirge vehicle for pentatonic wankery?

Asking for a friend...
We get requests for Soulshine from all sorts of people, most recently a 25 or 30 y.o. woman that danced slowly and closely with her man to it. (We do a lot of ABB so it goes with the territory.)

(Edit, added more-) It goes without saying, really, that it needs a good singer with a touch of gravel to pull it off, and there nothing boring about Warren's solo. If that song comes across as boring then I'd bet there's something missing or off with the dynamics or rhythm. It may be slower, but it has some energy to it. I agree it would not be good to have many slow tunes in a set, tho, this one included.

@Chiogtr4x I totally agree about the organ. It adds a ton with swells at the transitions, too. Could be difficult to pull off well without it.

Last edited:

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
We play it, people seem to like it. I see it as a country song more than a blues song. It's a nice progression to solo on, it's like a 6413475 or something like that.

You can make any song into a sad pentatonic dirge if you try. We play SS a little faster than the original, but not too fast.

Last edited:

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
Wow! So much hate for such a good song.

First of all, it ain’t a blues song, structurally or otherwise. And, a minor pentatonic solo doesn’t necessarily make a song a blues song.

Second, it ain’t a sad song. The lyrics and the music under them are quite uplifting.

Third, it ain’t a bar band song. Never heard it at a bar gig and never played it at a bar gig, although it’s in my solo acoustic set list.

Best version, IMHO, is Warren Haynes and Gov’t Mule from their “Deepest End” double-cd, recorded live when they were auditioning bass players after Allen Woody died:

Finally, if you play the blues, I mean really play the blues, then you know that the hardest thing to play is a slow blues. If you think it’s boring, then you don’t have anything interesting to say musically. Here’s Alvin Lee’s lesson on how to play slow blues:

And, Buddy Guy, same lesson:

Last edited:

Friend of Leo's
Love the band ... can't abide that schmaltzy song.
But, I can appreciate that it'll appeal to many others.