1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Soul food vs. Blues Driver vs. Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by superjam144, Jun 27, 2020.

Best OD Pedal

1. BLUES DRIVER

25.9%
  2. SOUL FOOD

12.1%
  3. TUBE SCREAMER

30.2%
  4. OTHER

31.9%
  1. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

Owned and still own several TS pedals. Never owned a Soul Food but have owned and still own Klon klones. Had the BD twice and sold it both times. Had a BD clone and sold it. So I chose TS from the available options...it depends what you play for what’s best...

superjam144 likes this.
  2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Never had a Soulfood but flop and flop between TS and BD ....the BD is my current favourite.

Theres a harshness/shrillness to my ears with the TS that always pushes me back to the mellower BD.

3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

3 great different sounding pedals...so my advice: buy them all (like I did)

Dr Improbable likes this.
  4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I own a BD-2, but not currently using it. Tried the Soul Food and didn't like it. For a Klon type sound I have the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. Way better than the pedals listed.

DougM likes this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Kind of a silly question being that its dependent on the amp its its driving.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can get the Soul Food ... or just get a $25 Golden Horse. Same with these other pedals. The mini clones selling around $25 are surprisingly close.
    With the latest challenges of buying, trying, selling pedals due to taxes and other fees for players that killed most of the pedal trading game so buying less expensive pedals seems to be the best option these days.

I have a Golden Horse, Black Rat, and Azor 303 Fuzz that I mix 'n match stacking for the last few months. I had gotten a Joyo American Sound probably two or maybe three years ago and that covers a lot of ground on its own.

Have you seen or tried a Joyo American Sound?

Dr Improbable likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my experience the Soul Food was very similar to the TS. But the BD is very different from those. The BD is open and organic sounding. The other two sound compressed and mid-humped. I have both a BD and TS, and use them both a lot, but for different reasons.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The only pedal I’ve sold that I would want back is my Blues Driver. I was stupid to sell it. The BD2 is the best overdrive I’ve owned and I now have a KOT.
    For a Klon type pedal, I had an Archer and it was “meh”.
    I understand that Boss’ current BD2 is no longer made in the same way so I don’t know if that has altered their tone but I will probably buy another at some point.

superjam144 likes this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

+1

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  10. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

I've owned all 3 over the years, BD-2 Has been on my board for over 10 years. The other 2 are not for me.

superjam144 likes this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

TC Electronic Mojo Mojo annihilates all three.

PBO Blues likes this.
  12. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

It's always interesting to me how many people detest Tube Screamers. And I wonder how many of them were just using them wrong.

Personally, it's one of my more or less essentials. I mean, there are other pedals I'd take over it for versatility's sake, but to me it's the perfect circuit for solo boosts. The mid-bump and compression is second to none, and it gets you straight to the front like an emergency responder ID at Costco.

Often times, if I'm going to try out reverbs or delays or modulations at a shop, I'll pair that with a TS-9 for testing. Even for just sitting back and noodling (no offense to all the YouTube guitar gurus who say to stop noodling) with a Tele.

Set the gain 11:00 or lower. Tone at 9-10:00 and volume just past unity and it's the near perfect low-gainer.

I'd take a TS over the others, personally. But only because it's more to my mid-range fanatical taste.

13. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Out of those 3, I would choose the Blues Driver, then the Tube Screamer. Given all the options in the world, just a regular $50 SD-1.

I don't like the Klones. Any of them. They're just not for me. But OP should try one and see if he or she likes it.

14. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

You put 3 different overdrives branches: Bluesbreaker, Klon e TS. Among the three branches I prefer TS type.
    Now I'm gonna quote my favorite pedal for each type of circuit:
    BB: King of tone.
    Klon: Archer (never played on original).
    TS: Gristle King.

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

No vote, I play clean.

16. bieworm

bieworm TDPRI Member

I often read that one uses a pedal as "always on". That indicates your amp isn't suited for your playing. If you have an "always on" pedal, stop playing clean amps. I figured that out some time ago. I built a TMB tremolo 18 watt. Since I have it I don't use OD pedals anymore. The organic OD from the amp is not possible with any pedal. And if you need more, THEN you can engage a BD, TS9, SF,...
    Well that's my opinion. I had an always on pedal for years.. so I know what you mean. Try an 18W and see for yourself. And no, I bever played marshalls ever.. have a vibro King, CVR, ... all need an always on pedal for me... not the 18Watt.. it delivers in its purity

17. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

My JHS soul food remains on the board for its distinctivness and it sounds organic.It is next to a Timmy, a Snouse black box, & a Jetter 45/100 gold.I don't know if the mod helped much, the extra bells and whistles I don't think mattr as much as better compnents inside.Ha the others, if you want to improve on it, maybe the Tumnus. But I think it is a much more useful pedal than the Boss Or Ibanez.

18. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

I have tried all three. Depending on the model to me the tuescreamer is the best.

19. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

At home, Soul Food. In a band, Tubescreamer.

20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I've had the BD and the TS but ended up not caring for either.

So I'd have to vote SF by default. I prefer my amp OD and volume, tone conteols

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.