SOS Wood split while stripping finish!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Neeyan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Neeyan

Neeyan TDPRI Member

Hi guys!

I’m stripping the finish off my CIJ tele using a heat gun + scraper method. The heat gun I’m using is a 2000w heat gun at low setting (360 degrees C). I plan on having a satin oil finished body. However, after scraping about a third of the back side, I noticed the wood started to separate at the seam line. It’s a three-piece ash body by the way.

Should I consider a different method of stripping the finish? Do I need to get this re-glued?

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from veterans. Pics are attached as well, it’s an on-going project.

Attached Files:

2. billstyler

billstyler TDPRI Member

I would bet the heat contributed only slightly to the seams opening. I've stripped plenty using this method. The glue joint was probably starved and didn't have enough glue (IMHO). Wood shrinking will even open good glue joints, sometimes. I've seen split seams on American Fenders (ash). I see scorching (different issue) so you might back away w/ the heat gun. Wood scorches easily, especially being well seasoned. Clamping may, or may not, close the seam. I would first use thin CA to get in deep, then medium CA, sanding before the glue is cured to fill, then sand and apply finish.

Skydog1010, Neeyan and Fretting out like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ask questions first...

Strip later ...

beagle likes this.
  4. Neeyan

Neeyan TDPRI Member

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. I decided to stop using the heat gun and go with sanding by hand. I don’t have CA glue on hand but I do have some superglue.. will give it a try. :)

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

That’s the same thing.

Don’t forget to clamp the body tight after glueing, otherwise you’ll end up with a loose seam.

6. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Try a hobby shop for thin viscosity super glue. It’s very watery and will seep more easily into the crack.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Be careful with sandpaper - it will probably clog and wind up using up a lot of expensive paper. The factory finish is very tough but as you know it yields pretty well with the heat gun. I'd be tempted to proceed with the heat gun and then just deal with the seam when it's all clean.

And yes, CA glue is Superglue. You might even be surprised to look closely and find that it's not even the "Crazy Glue" brand with the commercials some of us grew up on. BUT do make sure that it's reasonably fresh; I wouldn't trust it after more than a few months in an opened package because it will absorb moisture from the air.

And if you use pipe clamps or other clamps big enough to get across the body, make sure you arrange for some sort of cauls or pads to spread the force and prevent denting the sides of the guitar body. Or just screw down some blocks to your workbench top and drive in some wooden wedges if you don't quite have the right clamps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.