1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sooo, I got me some pots ...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Obsessed, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Short story is I have two brand new 3/8" diameter short solid shaft 500k CTS pots for another project that won't fit, sooo, even though I have updated pots in a few of my guitars, I have never updated my MIM strat or tele. Frankly over all of these years on TDPRI, I have not been paying attention to what pots are even in these two guitars. Bonus it that I updated to the Broadcaster/TT in my FSR reverse control tele for that semi "Baja" experience and '69 CS set in my strat. Do I have a use for these pots in either of these guitars or do I toss these into the wood stove for extra punch on a cold night?

Boreas likes this.
  2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

500 pots will make it a bit tinny with single coils. Think OEm squier bullet or some affinities.pots.They'll work but probably not an improvement. Save them for a humbucker guitar.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

You probably could use for a volume control but not too good for a tone control
    with single coil pickups. Seems you could also add a resistor to reduce the 500k.
    Someone here would know how to do that.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Give one a try in a volume position. Think of the courage and pioneering spirit it takes to stray a few ohms from Leo's dictum. You will learn what a tone pot can do to tame excessive high end that doesn't fit with your mix - with a simple twist of the fingers - and perhaps learn to appreciate different tapers as well. Worst case scenario is you won't like it and have to remove it and get some more soldering practice.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    TwoBear, moosie and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Yeah, they are audio tapered like the ones I put in my Epi Sheraton years ago. Seems like not the right thing for single coils, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Obsessed

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

7. Obsessed

Yup, seems to be the prevailing winds here. Thanks.

8. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I hv a few spare a250k pots laying around, dm me a mailing addy

Obsessed likes this.
  9. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have audio taper 500k pots in several single-coil guitars. Generally love them - especially on dark or muddy single-coils. But obviously it depends on the nature of the single-coil you are using. If it is too bright with a 250k, a 500k will only add to the brightness. One guitar I took the 500k pot back out and went with a treble bleed circuit instead. I also use 1M pots with many humbuckers.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you've ever considered a no-load tone pot, or a bypass switch, both to get a little extra brightness and presence... swapping a 250k for a 500k is along those lines.

If you've ever marveled at the clean, clear tone of a Thinline Tele.... they typically had at least one 1Meg pot.

If you ever decide to toss a humbucker in the neck of a Tele, use the 500k pot, plus a 470k resistor, in a simple scheme to get vol pot resistance tailored to the active pickup.

Besides, throwing them out just about guarantees you'll need one, eventually.

Boreas, Obsessed, dougstrum and 2 others like this.
  11. Obsessed

Wow, thank you for such a generous offer, but I ordered some mini 500k pots late last night for the project that I am currently working on. I do appreciate the gesture though.

12. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My pleasure

Obsessed likes this.
  13. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I got a pair of Emerson 500k pots for a Nashville build, and they were too large for the 3-knob layout. I used them on another parts caster with Joe Barden pickups and HoOp wiring. Common thought is that 500k would not work in that application, but it's great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.