Soon-to-be tele owner, what should I know?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Geeoteen, Dec 29, 2014.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have the same problem (except the lefty issues) with almost Tele I try in guitar shops.
    A mediocre Tele bridge pickup sounds pretty horrific clean, and IMO a Tele has to be really good to be great, or it just sucks.
    Maybe some day you'll walk into the right shop or meet the right tech and you'll find the one and the trumpets will sound and the heavens will open u, uh, sorry, never mind.
    I'm really fortunate to live in the land of guitaretailomania.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That should sound great with a Tele, I love the EL84 18w Marshall clones and similar circuits.
    Plenty of natural whole amp compression, even with gain low and master cranked.

3. enterprise

enterprise Tele-Meister

One long word, ELECTROSOCKET.

4. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Just remember....It's never the guitar, it's always you.

5. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

What you need to know is that you bought a tele style guitar. It might be great, but remember the neck was matched to a body and it was probably never set up right. So you could get a great guitar, but it probably plays less than its potential. So set it up.

6. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

absolutely. it always amazes me that when someone buys a $2,000.00 (or more) guitar, the 50 bucks to get a good setup is a no-brainer, but when someone buys a $300.00 guitar, they act like the same 50 (more or less) bucks is a waste of money, or a serious dent to the initial investment (law or diminishing returns).

always factor in a setup, regardless of purchase price. i've owned too many guitars to mention, and only one or two needed "no" additional setup after i got them; and i considered myself lucky in those instances.

if you know how to properly setup a guitar yourself, then great. if not, have someone--who knows what they are doing--do it for you. especially if they are the type of person who can understand your playing needs/style.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This last sentence is the most important... If they are not this type of person, they have no business working on your guitar. Nothing worse than a "luthier" who busts out a set of measurements, makes your guitar match them, and then announces that "it's perfect".

I don't care what the numbers say, it ain't right unless it's right to YOU.

8. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

I didn't mean that your technique sucked per se but you said that the notes were flat when you fretted "too hard" so it seems thats the issue rather than the guitar failing. Yeah teles are known to be bright at the bridge. Some like it some dont but thats part of its character and I've always been able to work with it as I love that clarity and bite. And theres always the tone knob. Id be more disappointed if the bridge wasnt a little bright!

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Maybe one day, I'll walk into a store and they'll have 2 LH electrics? I'll be spoilt for choice...

It's not a common fault of mine, but yes, when learning new things, I might tighten up and fret a bit hard. It only happens with the B going sharp. But no other guitars do this when I occasionally wring necks. If this is part of the 'You gotta be a 'player' to play a Tele', well, I guess I'm not… But also that clean bridge sound isn't me, it's like nails on a blackboard.

10. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Wouldn't a guitar sharping when you fret it hard mean that a) you're fretting it too hard :D or b) the frets are tall (for bending)?

They're not for everybody. I miss humbuckers, but I can't justify another guitar just to have an axe with buckers on occasion. I think tonally, the Tele really offers a lot. It was a goofball combination of parts when it was created by Leo and that's actually seen it through 60 years of popular music--it does a little bit of everything, sometimes quite well!

11. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

This is why you should learn to do it yourself. Who better to put it where you like it than yourself? Its not that hard. All it takes is a little patience and a few simple tools. If your are afraid, get yourself a $50 yard sale guitar and practice until you learn.With all the good info available at a click of the finger these days theres no excuse.

12. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

As a soon-to-be Tele owner, these are some "truths" you will need to know:

A Telecaster is the most beautiful of all guitars!
    A Telecaster is indestructable!
    A Telecaster is the essence of simplicity.
    A Telecaster is unforgiving.
    A Telecaster may sound ear-piercing. (That's why you have the tone knob).
    A Telecaster sounds twangy.
    A Telecaster may have either vintage or modern specs - or a combination of these.
    A Telecaster is the most versatile electric guitar - except maybe for the Stratocaster or the Gibson ES-335.
    A Telecaster can even be used for heavy metal!
    A Telecaster is no rocket science; you can build your own.
    A Telecaster has (normally) an ash or an alder body.
    A Telecaster has (normally) a rosewood or a maple fretboard.
    A Telecaster has (normally) a poly or a nitro finish.
    A Telecaster has either a 3-saddle or a 6-saddle bridge.
    A Telecaster is either lightweight, mediumweight or heavy.
    A Telecaster has (normally) a pickguard. This may be of almost any color. You're free to ask the opinions of other members.

These are just a few of the important things that you ought to memorize. Many of them are just invented so that we may discuss them on this forum.

13. '69ThinlineCC1

'69ThinlineCC1 TDPRI Member

It has been mentioned before but although the Tele is known for her bridge pup, become familiar with the other two positions.

The neck oozes a syrupy warmth with all the clarity and dynamics of a single coil. The middle position to my ears is what a guitar should sound like. Warm when you want it but clear and bell like.

3 very different tones exist on a single guitar. Flip that switch back and forth many times in a single tune and play with the dynamics.

Its a beautiful thing!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  14. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Use the tele as an experiment for things you want to try. Light strings, heavy strings, in/out phasing. Series/parallel.

Try slide, different tunings. Very little sounds bad on a tele.

15. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Actually exactly the opposite is true. Tele's for the most part have 35's for fret heights. (.035) My 66 came with and still has .030's. Gibson Les Paul's etc for the most part come with .050's. So they in fact are more prone to go sharp when squeezed hard. Just sayin.

16. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

When I was playing in a band and used my Tele all of the time, once in a while someone would ask me to play their Gibson onstage. It usually took me a little while to grow accustomed to the changes in distance. The scale length is different and the strings are spaced differently. It doesn't take long but you automatically acclimate to it.
    The funny thing is that once I grew accustomed to the feel of the Gibson I had to play the Tele for a little while in order to get back into the groove of it again.
    Of course Gibsons have humbuckers which have a lot more gain. Each is unique in its own way, and although Tele's are my favorites, there is something to be said for that Humbucker tone. I am doing some blending of both in the builds.

17. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

My Number 1 has a PAF in the neck. (The one in the Avatar). I like that setup. I want to try a P90 someday.

18. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

After using a Strat and humbucker guitars for years and years, I found the move to the Tele quite scary at first. Very unforgiving, my mistakes came out louder than my good notes.

After a while I decided the best thing to do was just to attack it with more confidence and make sure I meant every note I played. The Tele has rewarded me hugely since then, and it grinds and squeals better than any other guitar I've played.

It's the first solid body electric, and it's the best solid body electric. The Tele is truly an amazing guitar.

19. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

You made a good decision

20. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Yeah I would expect that too. But I wasnt thinking of a Tele v Les Paul scenario. If you fret too hard so the note goes sharp..youre fretting too hard...You cant blame any guitar for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.