Sonic Maximizer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NealVossy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Thanks!

I just read what I needed to "hear". I've wondered what the pedal did...

2. cooktimj

cooktimj Tele-Meister

It may also depend where in the chain your pedal is. Mine is second: the first one after my Boss tuner. I'm not sure where some others get the "processed" sound from. It may depend on the rig your running through. Everyone has their preferences. I've got a Tech-21 Double Drive pedal that I think is junk, but they have a following. I also think the Boss CS-2/3 are two of the best compressors when used correctly, but a lot of people don't like them.

That being said, I got a decent deal on my Sonic Stomp ($70) and it runs nearly 100% of the time through my Fender Deluxe 40w. I also run a CS-3, Phase Shifter, TC Electronic Pitch Modulator, and several others.

Even though I like what the sonic stomp does for my tone, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the way it is!

3. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

I absolutely love that pedal. I keep it on all the time, with both dials at 3:00. It adds a shimmer and sparkle to the top end and with much more clarity than I can add otherwise, and it really widens up the low end. Its VERY subtle, but after you play with it for a while, you can hear when its not on. The other day, I went nuts fiddling knobs, checking settings, wondering why my amp (peavey classic 50 410) sounded muddy and small. Then I noticed the maximizer wasn't on. One click and the magic was back.

It really adds life to the amp and makes it sound bigger and wider with more punch and clarity. -At least thats my impression having had one on now for about 7 months.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just bought one today. I used my Easter GC 15% off one item coupon two days early. The guys in Milwaukee are always cool with the coupons.

The low contour adds a lot of body without making your guitar sound muddy. You can hear it and feel it. It adds a shimmer on top like an old Aphex Aural Excited.

I tried it with my Nashville Tele and my dual pickup Melody Maker. After about 20 minutes, I started to "not hear" the effect. I would kick the BBE off and listen to my tone flatten out and then I would understand.

This is like describing a compressor to a friend who doesn't hear compressors. It's a hard pedal to explain. It is subtle and it's very nice. I could not crank the bass on my amp and simulate the BBE...the BBE is doing much more than a simple EQ boost.

I'm looking forward to recording with the Sonic Stomp. There are times when I thing that I'm barely using an effect on a recording and then I hear the playback on my stereo and I cannot believe how drastic the effects sound. The Sonic Stomp may ne one of those great subtle effects that sneaks up on me.

I picked a few pedals at random tonight and I was playing guitar > Tuner > BBE Orange Compressor > BBE Sonic Stomp > BBE Green Screamer > BBE Two Timer delay > Blues Junior.

The Sonic Stomp is nice. It's more complicated than an EQ.

I like it.

John

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It is often said that it makes it sound like a blanket has been lifted off the speaker cab. I think the theory is that the sine wave components of a sound get out of phase due to the uneven shape and tension of the speaker. Sine waves that are out of phase can change the timbre a lot. The makers of the BBE own a number of patents that counter-act that effect. The box delays the different frequency bands to bring them back into phase as they come off the speaker. This is my interpretation of what they say. I hope I didn't get it too far wrong.

I use one as the last unit in my chain and leave it on all the time. The nuances of my playing come through with greater clarity. It seems as if my guitar speaks quicker. I also use the rack version in concerts of electronic music at my school. My students call it the magic box.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

a guy explained it as this... when your signal is in the cables its random treble middle and bass

when the sonic stomp is on it kindof sorts them out, this happens at your speaker anyway but this makes the speakers job easier which is why it sounds better

hope that helps.

by the way i still dont really care for it, but that might change

7. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

This thread inspired me to try mine again at practice last night. Stayed on for about 5 mins. For me, it seemed to make things more brittle, more harsh, took the natural sound away a bit, on the higher frequencies. Sure I can adjust the highs, but it's just not doing enough for me to justify using it.

Back in the bag. I doubt I'll try it again.

8. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

The guitar/ amp combo is a low fi mono signal. I chose to go uncluttered on my pedalboard with few effects applied to my signal (OD/ modulation/ delay). I get tons of natural compression and dynamics when I crank my tube amp (Fender BJ) through those few simple effects. I found the BBE SS was not required and just took up space. Sure I noticed a difference in sound when I shut it off but the sound I achieved through proper EQ'ing of the amp (when the BBE was off) was not a bad sound. When I removed it from my board I did not really miss it.

For recording purposes it may have it's merits.

9. dibber124

dibber124 Tele-Afflicted

Love it.
    Last piece in my signal chain and always on. Turn it off and my rig sound like I'm playing with year old strings. Simply amazing device.

10. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

Interesting to see so many thoughts on the same pedal. And that everyone can have an actual discussion even if we don't all agree without it breaking out into some ridiculous argument is why this is absolutely my favorite forum on the net.

11. cooktimj

cooktimj Tele-Meister

+1

I've also found out that I need to move the pedal in my chain! I've had mine first after the tuner. Although it sounds great, I may need to move it around to see if it sounds better.

Great viewpoints all around!

12. ACK75

ACK75 Tele-Meister

I've been wondering about this pedal for awhile now. Looks like I'm gonna give it a try!

13. cooktimj

cooktimj Tele-Meister

Maybe you could buy it from one of these guys who hate theirs!

You may get a better price on it!:idea:

14. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

I once owned an old Tokai version of the BBE and it was horrible. Just brittle and sharp in all except the most mild settings. I currently use the long discontinued Boss Enhancer EH-2.
    It works alot like the Sonic Maximizer and I love it. It stays on %90 of the time. As was said before, when it is set right you don't even think there is any change in tone until you play for awhile then turn it off and your tone sounds dull and weak. BBE is the original and works well.
    Its kind of weird. There are times where I do find it sounds a little trebly though.

It is kind of a secret weapon because everyone who looks at it assumes it is some kind of compressor.

15. Highway_61

Highway_61 Tele-Meister

I find the Aphex Guitar Xciter Pedal indispensable, Can anyone compare the BBE with Aphex? Basically, the same thing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.