sonic blue options

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Aug 2, 2021.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I want a blue tele.
    I've been looking at lots, but I'm gravitating towards a sonic blue type.
    Not sure why, but it's starting to grab my attnetion as a subtle attraction thats' just different enough to be cool.

I'm kind of sad that there aren't more optoins avialbale off the shelf.

I've found the vintera 50's tele is available, but what else is there?
    I could do a Mod Shop version, and I'm kind of leaning towards a 72 tele inspired sonic blue with pearloid guard, but I'm not sure I want to spend 2-300 more for a series 1 american pro just for a different color finish.
    There's also the Vintera fender tele custom (SH version), but not a fan of Pao Ferro if I can get away with it.

That's led me to the Reverend Gristlemaster and potential custom builds from MJT, Logan Guitars, or Varris Guitars.

What are some options I might be missing?

upload_2021-8-1_22-38-59.png

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nelg, Old Plank, LPTyler and 3 others like this.
  2. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Friend of Leo's

I always liked the Baja Faded Sonic Blue. That color has been discontinued, but they are still out there on the used market.

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I have the custom 70s, which is a great guitar, but in fiesta red. I also have the vintera 50s, which has nice thick neck, but very comfortable to play, the one I have is sonic blue, but wiring was poor, so I replaced it with push back cloth wire.
    The others I don't know about.

4. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

They all look pretty cool, but I’d make a point to try the Gristlemaster. Those look so, so cool.

blueruins likes this.
  5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The Reverend does look pretty amazing. I love the Firebird-style raised center section.

LPTyler, El Tele Lobo and whoanelly15 like this.
  6. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude Tele-Meister

It's worth noting that the gristlemaster has a bigger body than a telecaster, since Greg is a big guy most guitars look small when he plays them, and he wanted something that looked in proportion. It may not make a big difference to you, but if you're on the smaller side it might make you look even smaller.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

True, but isn’t it only like a 3% difference? I seem to recall him talking about how he didn’t want to dissuade “a more diminutive individual”... guy is a poet.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My experience with sonic blue is that your perception of it can depend greatly upon lighting and the color of the pickguard.

When I got my Jazzmaster the stark white pickguard made the sonic blue finish look a pale, sickly green. A new mint green pickguard blue'd up my perception of the color nicely.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. Out of that lot, I like the color and styling of the Reverend best.

GGardner likes this.
  10. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender MIJ '60s Hybrid Tele in SB...

[​IMG]

11. doctymie

doctymie TDPRI Member

I really wanted to like the Reverends, but the necks feel thin to me. I prefer the thick 50s Fender necks. It was enough for me to pass. But Greg makes them sound amazing, especially with his Fishman pickups.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Mod Shop. Get what you want.

horax likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Go for the Vintera, and just pick one with a fretboard color and pattern that you like.

14. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I was initially looking at Sonic Blue myself, but wound up liking Daphne Blue MUCH better.

Here is a pic from the painter that did my CV50 body, the Strat is Sonic Blue...

187182136_1266201203797330_5003143699793761655_n.jpg 187243345_2699909780300406_1857272491394843939_n.jpg 20210718_172916616_iOS.jpg

Fendereedo, RYAN1987M, horax and 3 others like this.
  15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

The sonic blue and Daphne blue are couple of my favorites. As far as features and the guitars that you’re showing I wonder how important it is it for you to have your volumes and tones where you want them? And what configurations, as I do like volume and tone for each pick up (I also play LP’s and 335’s) and I also appreciate the simpleness of the telecaster, but out of all of them the Stratocaster has my favorite volume tone, switching positions. Out of the guitars you pictured, I like them all but I don’t like the multiply or whatever it is pick guard with the black accent. I much rather like the transition of light blue to the light colored guard. I’ve always been a fan of the pearl, and I even have a vintage darker version on my Stratocaster but I think I’m leaning towards that plain white against the sonic blue. Funny I usually like accents, but I think the appeal of the sonic blue is sort of like the white on white Stratocaster... an understated class. I don’t think string through or Toploader makes much difference as far as playability on a telecaster but if I had my choice I would go string through just because that’s how I envision a classic fender style-strings fed through the back of the guitar, weather through sustain block or the string ferrules. And just to give you a little more headache of options to think of I really dig the old Tele elite series, and if I had to do with only one I think I would like the Nashville style with the middle pick up, and the option to get all three pick ups and probably a splittable high output Lead pick up that you could split and would sound just like a great straight telecaster sound! Definitely let us know what you come up with!

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

Jeeze - blue Teles with white MOTS guards are ALL OVER this forum today!

OP - whatever blue you settle on, know this: The minute you bolt up a pearloid guard, it becomes Barbie's Tele. Might as well paint it pink. Just sayin' ...

If anybody cares, I vote for Daphne. More warmth.

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

TwoBear, I chuckled reading your post. Your likes and dislikes could not possibly be more completely the opposite of my own, other than a mutual fondness for Sonic Blue.

TwoBear and Fendereedo like this.
  18. Dadzmad

Dadzmad Tele-Meister

I like the blue look too - I've got a 60's Baja and an Excelsior Pro. Blue guitars just sound better through blue amps (sorry I've posted this picture a couple of time and couldn't help myself

[​IMG]

RYAN1987M, Fendereedo and horax like this.
  19. rbr49x

rbr49x TDPRI Member

I've been very happy with my Vintera 50's sonic blue. Really like the neck and the pickups sound right to me. Added Rutters saddles and will mod to 4-way and enjoy. [​IMG]

20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Agreed. Sometimes, sonic blue looks almost white.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...term=300x250&dclid=CMPA69_sofICFYgJcQodmF0Mbg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.