songwriting contests

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
anybody ever enter one of these things? what was your experience?
example; https://www.greatamericansong.com/

Howdy pop....

Personally, no....I have never entered any song writing (or any other) contest.

However, if I had a far larger ego and I actually thought that any of my material was formula written for the goal of generating any mass appeal?
I might select one of my songs that I thought was my best candidate and might shell out 35$ once just to see the results (if any) of being compared to other song writers.

I don't think any of my songs would have any mass appeal so I'll keep my 35$....I know my place in the song writing world.
IMO....one has to be brutally honest with themselves before wasting their buckaroos.

If you do it?....please keep us informed.
I'd be interested to hear what others have experienced too.

Have a great day....(I'm little help but you got a bump :) )

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
National songwriting contests are a great way to obtain contact information for marketing instructional materials, books, music merchandise, seminars, etc.

I’m not denying that these contests will help a handful of people to have their songs exposed to recording industry people. I can’t imagine a worse job than screening the entries, so I suspect that many entries are not listened to.

I won a local songwriting contest in Tulsa about 30 years ago, and the prize was some recording time, which I used to make a demo.

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
I recently entered a lyric contest at American Songwriter.
I didn't win or receive any feedback at all. Don't think I'll enter again but I don't regret doing it once. I figured, 'what the heck?'

Might give me something to write about someday...

kbold

Friend of Leo's
My 2 cents.

I've entered contests over the last few years, but am mindful of the following:
1) Cost: As a hobby, an annual outlay of 1 or 200 dollars is no big deal (considering there are no other overheads).
2) Expectations: I have no expectation of winning, although getting a song selected into elimination rounds is a warm (and ego inducing) feeling.
3) Bias: Even the honest competitions have a level of bias. At the last few "culls" the competitors are known to the judges.
Judges are biased (everyone has biases), and may have hidden agendas.
4) Quality of entry: In the fine print they often say that judging is based on the musical/lyrical content rather than the production quality.
I don't believe it. IMO the production quality is a major factor (in preventing it ending up in the trash bin).
5) Honesty: Some competitions are less honest than others - choose your poison wisely.
(On the other hand, some may criticise a competition because their fabulous song didn't win.)
6) Gains: For me it creates a time schedule and a push to improve my recording/production quality and ability.
7) The Winning Formula: Some songwriters seem to have learnt the formula for winning (and thereby consistently reach the final rounds). I'm not ready to sell my soul.

I recently entered a lyric contest at American Songwriter.
I didn't win or receive any feedback at all. Don't think I'll enter again but I don't regret doing it once. I figured, 'what the heck?'
I did once also. I'm undecided as to their position on the "honesty scale", but the amount of spam mail is a bit off-putting.
Once was enough. If in doubt, I default to being cynical.
(P.S. IMO it is a more honest competition than many others, and their spam may just be a way to present competitors to the world.)

Hmmm ..... may find a worm today .... at the bottom of the pond.

Last edited:

6tzguy

TDPRI Member
My experience with judged competitions is similar to the comment about judges biases. I entered a woodworking project into the largest “ professionally juried” show in the state of California. (I need to say that the San Diego woodworking association sponsored it) I came in second and was pretty stoked about it until I asked to see the jurors voting sheets (done in pencil). I was surprised to see that there were erasures on my scores that reduced my total points and that had they not done that I would have won 1st place! To cap off my disgust was the fact that first place was awarded to someone in their club!!!! That’s my experience with what I perceived as judge bias.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Beware: I would read the fine print of the contest rules.

I remember a few years ago, I think it was the Guitar Center songwriting contest...the fine print I believe stipulated that if you won, the song rights would become property of Guitar Center.
I guess they figure that was the "price" for giving you the opportunity to win a contest.

So if you have a mega hit on your hands...expect to get screwed royally out of the normal compensation that you would receive.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Beware: I would read the fine print of the contest rules.

I remember a few years ago, I think it was the Guitar Center songwriting contest...the fine print I believe stipulated that if you won, the song rights would become property of Guitar Center.
I guess they figure that was the "price" for giving you the opportunity to win a contest.

So if you have a mega hit on your hands...expect to get screwed royally out of the normal compensation that you would receive.
No bona-fide contest will try to steal song rights.
I put this GC contest, on the honesty scale, at .................

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
No bona-fide contest will try to steal song rights.
I put this GC contest, on the honesty scale, at .................

Only a fool would ASSUME that other contests would not try and do the same thing...due diligence required...buyer beware.