Songwriter Practice

swarfrat

TDPRI Member
Ever get stuck on a song that you kinda feel is way outta your league. Like I have a couple of awesome verses and no chorus. And I'm stuck between AAA is ok right? And "it has to have chorus" and "if you didn't start with the awesome hook chorus your kinda screwed now"

WRHB

Tele-Meister
I’m glad I don’t get paid to write songs. Or create music. I don’t have a creative bone in my body. I’m more of a copycat. I play chords everyone else plays and I play songs out of fake books. In my recliner. I appreciate all the work creative people like you put into making good music. Thank you.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Practice? Songwriting?

I recently read an article online where the writer emphasized practicing writing songs.
Now, of course, I can’t find the article, but it certainly made sense to me.

The thrust of the article was that, just like any other skill, one needs to practice it to become proficient. Maybe too many of us wait around for an inspirational idea, or an interesting lick.

I remember when I was in my heyday of songwriting, I actively tried to write songs frequently. I’m talking 2-3 per week. Most turned out to be bombs, but there are some diamonds in the rough as well.

So, it makes sense to me based on my own experience, yet I never perceived it in terms of practicing.

I will post the article if I come across it.
Thoughts?
Yep. I practice improvising as often as possible. I used to play with a drummer where the basic rule was to start from zero whenever possible. No covers EVER and no lazy crap (for example reggae or white-boy funk).
I recorded every time we played and started compiling songs.
Jerry Seinfeld talks about writing every day. Every freaking day, no matter what. Elvis Costello claimed to have written 5000 songs before 1990 iirc.
Do it.