1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Songs you're completely burned out on...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Dec 12, 2018.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As the Old and Jaded Cover Playing guy that I am, my greatest amount of Disdain goes to the people who write (and will only play) so-called "Original" Music. Especially when there is nothing Original about it. 5 minutes of Drivel. starts with a slow build-up, Main Body, slow Fade out ...

Don't get me wrong, when somebody plays an ass-kicker of a tune they wrote themselves, that's cool!

But the people that think that because THEY wrote it, they are somehow above everybody else.
    I don't like that at all.

t guitar floyd and Dennyf like this.
  2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

The local classic rock station played Money for years as their cue to call (to win prizes and stuff). They stopped using it as their cue to call, presumably at the behest of Cumulus or iHeart (whichever corporate conglomerate name they're under now) for 3 or 4 years, and used other, more random songs. They had to stop playing the song altogether because whenever they played Money in that 3 or 4 year time span, their phones would be inundated with calls, and it would actually shut down the rest of the building.

They're back to using it as a cue to call these days, which means it's pretty much been removed from the rotation.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks for the ear worm. :(

- D

24 track likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm volunteering for an independent community radio station. I hear a lot of new music. There is so much good music being made I don't know why it's not being played anywhere else. I guess the biggies can't make enough money from it to do it. Sad.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Way too many to list. It would be easier to list songs that I still like.

Fireball519, Bella and StrangerNY like this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna throw a wrench in the works. I haven't heard this one since my former girlfriend played it for me around 1984. She worked at Guitar Player books and this LP was sent to GP in hope of gaining a review. I actually think this tune should have become a standard along the lines of any of the ones mentioned.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

95% of what I play on my regular gigs is just dreck.
    I'd name them, but 95% of y'all know the songs I'm talking about.
    They are the "everyone's favorite songs" of my generation.
    Now, to be fair, no one is holding a gun to my head.
    What saves me is two things.
    I get to play original music of mine, and my friends, that I love.
    I'm referring to both the friends, and their music.
    I often get to record this music with the writers.
    That is immensely satisfying.
    The other thing is that I get to play music regularly, instead of saying some form of "Can I help you?"
    I did soul sucking retail six days a week for decades.
    Again, no one held a gun to my head.
    So, I guess I made a few poor life choices, earlier on.
    Playing music (solely) is a dodgy way to try to make a living, in case no one has told you.
    I pray I never have to do anything else.

Wildcard_35 and StrangerNY like this.
  8. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Beth - KISS
    Rock and Roll All night - KISS
    Enter Sandman - Metallica
    Smoke on the Water -Deep Purple

All great songs that I am just burnt out on from hearing them so many times.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There are some songs I never need to hear again (Light my Fire, for example), but I never let crappy musicians kill them for me. In the case of “Light my fire”, I’m just sick of hearing the Doors version.

As for Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett kills on that song, and so does the band. I love that song. Just because a bunch of hacks can’t play it properly doesn’t mean his version isn’t great.

That song always gets cited in threads like these as if there is something wrong with it.

There isn’t.

Problem is the incompetent dorks who try to play it.

knavel likes this.
  10. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

where do I start....sooooo many

Fireball519 likes this.
  11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

There are 3 tunes with “House” in the title that I am tired of playing at blues jam sessions specifically: Roadhouse Blues, Red House and House of the Rising Sun. Lotsa Jimi tunes get overplayed, unfortunately.

I also get tired of jazz musicians calling anything off of Herbie Hancock’s “Head Hunters” album or Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue” album. Funk jam, jazz jam, blues jam or open jam .......it doesn’t matter. The cat wearing Bill Evans glasses is probably gonna call “The Chameleon”.

12. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Guaranteed to remove any earworm...(and transplant an even tougher to remove one...)

13. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Shakey Ground

14. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

All the usuals. Sweet Home Alabama, or anything by Skynyrd, really. Anything by Oasis (that deserves a whoopin'!) Born to be Wild. Hallelujah. Pina Coladaburgh. Hotel f***ing California. Play that Funky Music (by the way, no one ever shouted "Play that funky music, white boy," before that song was written. Stop saying they did!)

I could go on. Lots of good songs, or bad songs ruined by relentless repetition. Why can't they make it stop and play good stuff by other people? Or at least make these tunes less prevalent by playing more songs by other people? The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

Fireball519 and Boomhauer like this.
  15. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

Take your usual generic corporate Classic Rock playlist...

...no, please, take it. I don't want it.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  16. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

Well I take it they are calling tunes of Headhunters and Kind of Blue as there is a good chance that most players are pretty familiar with that material and can play over it-isn't that the point of the jam.

What are they going to call, Countdown, Donna Lee...Train wreck in 1..2..3

17. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

There is such a vast amount of material to draw upon when you are talking modal jazz or hard bop, that calling upon those 2 albums time and time again seems to me to be beyond precedent and instead strikes me as sheer laziness. If one is already great enough to defend the flame of Charlie Parker, why not just fully engage in spontaneous composition, the definition of improvisation, and create your own one chord song on the spot? Of course calling Donna Lee outside a jazz jam results in a train wreck roughly 95% of the time. But many of the dudes wearing 1950’s era jazz musician costumes and calling “Canteloup Island” at blues jams can’t properly play Donna Lee either.

18. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

I'll throw another in the ring. If one more person tells out "Freebird!" I'm going to end my life by cramming my strat/tele down my own throat! I have a gig Saturday so yall may be reading a thread entitled "RIP Fireball."

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

with original music, it gets frustrating when you don't get enough practice time in to write new material before you get sick of your old material.

20. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

Got mighty sick of playing please release me. Slow and boring. This is going back quite a ways.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.