Songs you refuse to play

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telekaster1999, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I agree.

I'm not fond of the song, though my band has been forced to endure playing it.

:(

drewg likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ll be playing that war horse later this evening.
    And and and, they’ll like it, and sing along, so:
    Put the load right on me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Yeah. That one doesn’t play so well in modern day. Especially when there are so many popular Hendrix songs without that subject matter, to play.

4. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Stairway
    Freebird
    Satisfaction

willie ray likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Anything by Styx, Loverboy, Journey, REO, or that whole genre of 80s arena-rock bands.

IN fact, quickly googling now to remember the name of the Journey song I hate the most, I am unfortunately reminded of all their other songs I hate almost as much.

6. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Amy!
    I played that ol Pure Prairie League song so many times back in the 70's & 80's that I just can not stand to do it ever again. Thank goodness they don't request it like they did back then...
    Now a days the most requested turd seems to be Wagon Wheel. Ugg!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  7. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I don’t refuse to play any song, but I guess it’s because I understand I’m there to entertain the audience, not myself. ;)

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

There’s quite a few I won’t play, just because I dislike the song or I think it’s a stupid song (a lot of Bro-Country falls into that category).

I won’t play sexually explicit or vulgar songs, or songs with profanity in them, holiday music or “happy birthday” (all for religious reasons).

I will play certain songs I’m less…enthusiastic…about playing, (mostly due to playing them too many times) but a lot of those same songs get butts out of seats and onto the dance floor, which makes people thirsty, which makes people buy more drinks, which makes the bartenders and bar managers happy, which makes me get more gigs…

The same thing can be said about playing “uncool” songs that make the ladies and girls happy; if the ladies are happy, the gents will bring those ladies back to see you again, which = more gigs.

9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'll play anything that puts people on the dance floor, and with a great big smile on my face. It most likely won't be on my personal play list.

But weather I like a song or not is immaterial!

OldPup, M2roadwarrior, dburns and 3 others like this.
  10. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I play in a countrybilly band in Germany, so I get to play pretty much whatever I want. Mostly older stuff put through the wringer of my personal style(read:limitations). Since about 90%of the audiences aren't familiar with the material, as long as it's got a good rythm, once they get a few beers down, they'll be out of their seats moving around... Guess I wouldn't want to play any ABBA(I don't look good in a satin jumpsuit). I did once tell a drummer i was gonna quit if he didn't get rid of the chimes.

drlucky and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Just an observation by a bedroom player here:

5 pages and no one has mentioned "Free Bird?"

Yeah, I know someone said "any Skynyrd," but still...

richiek65 and brookdalebill like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It looks like ( I already knew this, before thread), my bandmates and I play a lot of songs that others refuse to play.

There was maybe a time when I was on that other side too, more individual ( though still all covers, for me), but now, I just wanna keep a good gig (s), entertain the baby-boomer audience we seem to have.
    So we just embrace these songs as if they were our own, open them up a bit, and jam with really good musicianship ( all very good players), folks dig it.

First up tonight- " Take It Easy " - Ha!

M2roadwarrior and Wallo Tweed like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Freebird, and Stairway To Heaven both bear the distinction of being too slow, and too fast to dance to.
    In 48 years of gigging, I have played neither.
    I hope my luck holds!

ReverendRevolver and Marc Morfei like this.
  14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I don't think ill play Old Time Rock and Roll ever again.

Scooter91, richiek65, drewg and 3 others like this.
  15. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Afflicted

If the opportunity should arise (better chance of peace in the Middle East), the Safety Dance.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

This...though I haven't a clue what Wagon Wheel goes like, maybe I should look it up and learn it anyway.

I used to go to a college evening class and we would chose the term's songs between us. Obviously a wide taste in music and we would come up with quite a disparate set list and I confess I'd sometimes roll my eyes at the choices once the tutors had picked out from the selection. However, almost without fail the songs I thought I'd hate turned out to teach me something new and many are the ones I tend to play out of choice now.

I've got to love the comments about 'any covers' though. :rolleyes: Originals are fine (and I've written plenty myself) but don't seem to get the audience excited in the way that popular covers do: No excitement means we're not going to get asked back...

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  17. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There are definitely songs I wouldn't do in particular contexts. My alternative/deep-cuts/songs-for-aging-hipsters cover band will never do "Moondance." If I were playing a wedding gig I wouldn't include "I Wanna Be Your Dog" on the setlist unless the happy couple had very particular relationship dynamics.

But I think there's musical worth in pretty much everything, even if you have to dig for it. And if you're half a musician you can put some in.

18. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is true. There are two ways to get people to freak out and hit the dance floor when you start a song: be massively famous or play covers.

Ronzo and haggardfan1 like this.
  19. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

I don't play out anymore but did for 30+ years so I've played most of the afore mentioned songs. The last band that I played in, the leader was very defiant on what he would & wouldn't play, his prerogative IMO but I nor our keyboard really agreed. So when we played a duo gig, many times we would pick songs we knew & liked that our band leader wouldn't play such as Eagles, CCR, Buffett. I have always felt that folks who come to hear me or anyone else play can't help what they like whether I like it or not. If it's one that I really don't want to play, requesting it's on the back of a $20.00 bill might inspire me!

I'm sure most have seen this sign but a little blues bar I go to has a sign on the bandstand that says, "All Request $5.00, Mustang Sally $20.00!"

Stain and Zoso420 like this.
  20. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

I totally agree. You have to wonder how much the people who say covers actually play out.

modavis99, Wallo Tweed and Rockinvet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.